Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I tried using Target in Matthews but they have an even worse selection than WalMart.
The Target in Matthews is NOT a Super Target, which includes a full supermarket. Instead, it's just a standard Target that added a modest food section. You need to find the Super Targets and Super Walmarts, if you want to do your main grocery shopping with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,641,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I like Target as much as the next person, but why does Seattle's Best coffee at the Blakeney Target cost almost $9.00 and the one at Stonecrest only cost $6?
I don't know how it works here, especially with the large chain stores but I worked in a grocery in PA for several years and the owner/manager would mark the regular prices of some items way down. It got people to come to the store for that one specific deal, so of course they bought other stuff.

For instance, our thing was cheap Miracle Whip. It was something like a buck fifty cheaper than Giant Eagle and people were always praising us for it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,659,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Is there anyone who doesn't know at this point that WalMart has cheaper prices? I don't go there because they have less selection, it is depressing and the workers there are very rude and have an attitude.

But, if I had a bunch of kids I would probably put up with it to save the cash. Hard to justify spending an extra 3 dollars per gallon of ice cream, 1.50 extra for cereal, etc.
Yep. I shop at Aldi, which is comparable or less than Wal-Mart, without the depression but sometimes, I enjoy going to HT simply for how nice it is. If they've got a good VIC special, I like browsing the specialty items.

And, yeah, the VIC is often smoke and mirrors - this weekend, they had a Fancy Feast e-VIC special, 20 cans for $10. Usually, their price is .65/can, but this weekend, the regular price tags read .75/can. WalMart usually has it for .54/can. I can almost always find sales for .50/can at Target or PetSmart. BUT, it was convenient to hit HT for that price - plus a coupon! Yay.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Yep. I shop at Aldi, which is comparable or less than Wal-Mart, without the depression but sometimes, I enjoy going to HT simply for how nice it is. If they've got a good VIC special, I like browsing the specialty items.
I'm a sucker for the olive bar.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
The Target in Matthews is NOT a Super Target, which includes a full supermarket. Instead, it's just a standard Target that added a modest food section. You need to find the Super Targets and Super Walmarts, if you want to do your main grocery shopping with them.
Ya, they try to trick you by calling it "Target with a fresh grocery". Which is, of course, true. But it makes one think of a full grocery rather than just a Target with a few bananas and strawberries.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,572,346 times
So I don't understand what the point that Walmart feels it needs to run these ads if they have number one spot.
I cant help to think there is a hidden agenda.

I like Harris Teeter for the variety and I miss living near the HT in Huntersville it had a salad bar and Harris Teeter has better selection of bread like Sourdough.

When I did shop there I would always shop what is on Vic special
I like in summer you can buy 1 get 3 free cases of coke cans.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM

985 posts, read 1,903,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
So I don't understand what the point that Walmart feels it needs to run these ads if they have number one spot.
I cant help to think there is a hidden agenda.

I like Harris Teeter for the variety and I miss living near the HT in Huntersville it had a salad bar and Harris Teeter has better selection of bread like Sourdough.

When I did shop there I would always shop what is on Vic special
I like in summer you can buy 1 get 3 free cases of coke cans.
Where we moved from our Walmart had the best bakery, fresh made bread all varieties, wonder why they don't do that here? We would get rye, sourdough, pumpernickel, etc they had a huge selection. I do miss that part of the Walmarts here

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,364,600 times
I'll use Walmart for a lot of non-perishables, but for the me the quality of some of the produce and meat is questionable. Bought some ground beef there once for meatballs and found bone pieces. I know it can happen anywhere, but it has only happened at Walmart.

Plus I saw some roaches there once around the bakery. Grossed me out.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM

495 posts, read 1,079,441 times
The bottom line for me isn't always lowest price, especially when it comes to perishables. I don't want to eat disgusting chicken from unsanitary feces-ridden pens when the alternative is local and free range. I don't want to buy tomatoes and kale all the way from Mexico when I can get it grown within 25 miles of here year-round where the quality and taste are better and it supports the community. Everyone knows that Walmart has lower prices, but if we stop and think for a minute about what those prices are getting us in terms of both personal well-being (both short-term and long-term health outcomes) and community well-being, well, it isn't always in our best interest to follow the bottom dollar.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

248 posts, read 748,237 times
there an be a big difference between Targets when it comes to food and clothes. and selection.

For food I mainly go to target because it's insanely cheaper and more reasonable than HT, but Walmart is just too depressing to go into. and it's so damn big - I have to walk and walk and walk to get down the aisles to just get a few items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte