Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,417,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Brian, the problem is the setup . I've worked baseball & football games. I know what's involved. I've been called in for rain. There are things that can not be set up in the rain & then it has to all be tested. Setups are usually 5 or 6 hours.
I'm sure it is, actually. I can imagine whomever the insurer is for the event wasn't too thrilled about having 65k, one of them being the pres, out in a lightning storm.

I'm surprised the most popular conspiracy theory wouldn't be Dan Cathy owning a weather machine and exacting revenge for Isaac's RNC disruption.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
IF, it was" Nothing but Blue Skies" ahead maybe it would make a difference for that Kodak moment. But with this president that's all but impossible to imagine. Perhaps it's better without the sky look.
Well, at least some skyline shots are making their way onto the news papers of other areas. I found this one on the Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk area).

Virginia's must-win status draws convention spotlight | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

^^^Maybe we can build that new stadium with a retractable roof on the site of those ugly surface parking lots in 3rd ward?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,566,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is the speech tonight or tomorrow?
Tomorrow it seems. Keep getting my days mixed up. (sigh)

Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,372,398 times
Not sure if it's mentioned upthread, but this could be the shot in the arm local businesses are looking for. If the numbers are even close to correct, we suddenly have thousands of out of town visitors who planned on spending the whole day at the stadium. Now they'll be looking for ways to spend the day and night on Thursday. I wonder if the Foo Fighters will play at the arena.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm sure it is, actually. I can imagine whomever the insurer is for the event wasn't too thrilled about having 65k, one of them being the pres, out in a lightning storm.

I'm surprised the most popular conspiracy theory wouldn't be Dan Cathy owning a weather machine and exacting revenge for Isaac's RNC disruption.
Glad to see you, Brian.

Actually, this is the ugly remains of Isaac being pushed back from the Midwest.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Glad to see you, Brian.

Actually, this is the ugly remains of Isaac being pushed back from the Midwest.
Is it??? Oh that's rich! lol...

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,980,569 times
Quote:
Brian, the problem is the setup . I've worked baseball & football games. I know what's involved. I've been called in for rain. There are things that can not be set up in the rain & then it has to all be tested. Setups are usually 5 or 6 hours.
LOL We are talking about a football stadium with facilities to transmit national NFL games on all networks in all kinds of weather. They certainly don't cancel NFL games because of a 20% chance of rain.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,826,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I wonder how anyone beyond the delegates, party insiders, political hacks, the press and of course elected politicians will be able to attend Obama's acceptance speech. There isn't enough room. The press corp is already complaining that TWC arena is TINY and shouldn't have been used for this event. (IMO, the now gone Charlotte Coliseum would have worked a lot better)

I believe that everyone else has been told their ticket is canceled and to go home and hold a party for Obama instead.

So much for this being the most "accessible" convention ever. Another broken promise.
TWC is an average size venue for what it is used for and smilar sized arenas have been used in the past, regardless of press corps complaints. When the DNC and RNC conventions were held in NYC they used "The World's Most Famous Arena", Madison Square Garden, capacity for a basketball game, about the same as TWC, roughly 20,000.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, at least some skyline shots are making their way onto the news papers of other areas. I found this one on the Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk area).

Virginia's must-win status draws convention spotlight | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

^^^Maybe we can build that new stadium with a retractable roof on the site of those ugly surface parking lots in 3rd ward?
I'm not sure giving exposure to buildings who's occupants were responsible for a giant economic collapse is a great idea. Unless Obama were to come out with a finger wag and some harsh words at those buildings ("Let me be clear... <point, point, point>), it would almost give the illusion of those buildings saying "Don't worry, Barack...we got your back". It's like the most unfortunate photo op ever.

I think Jon Stewart did Charlotte a far better service than any skyline shot. According to the CO...

Quote:
“We’re so excited not to be in Tampa,” Stewart told the crowd during a question-and-answer session before the show. “Your people are very friendly to the point where I’m beginning to believe it’s sarcasm. I’m not comfortable with this type of warmth.”

Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL We are talking about a football stadium with facilities to transmit national NFL games on all networks in all kinds of weather. They certainly don't cancel NFL games because of a 20% chance of rain.
And you've worked how many remote shoots as a broadcast tech? As I said, previously, I've worked sporting events at Vet Stadium in Philly. There's wiring in the facility to panels. The rest is rolled out from 2 or more trailers, depending on the size of the event, that are trucked in by the network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte