Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times

Advertisements

The Presidential Experience is an exhibit put on by CSPAN. It is located outside the staduim... about a block down

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Cities like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cincinnati, Denver, Minneapolis and quite a few others are all midsized-large cities that like to get their skylines on camera (especially in front of a National camera). It's all about putting a "face" with a name. There is nothing wrong with a little free advertising that may or may not help us bring new business to town. The U/E rate here is nearly 10% so we could use some new businesses.

On another topic, I just saw a TV commercial advertising the "Presidential Experience" tomorrow at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC. It was a commercial telling folks to get their tickets. IMO, this will cause confusion because some folks might not get the memo until they're already here. Could an angry crowd of folks showing up here anyway cause the DNC to change plans again? This could be interesting...

Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
scroll up pinky
Up? Where Philly?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Quote:
Son, I never claimed to be an expert. I posted an article which proved that people paid to take those trips. You said you took a Democratic bus in 1990 and your mom thinks a bus from Myrtle Beach left today...

Do you have a response to my last question? I was not saying you were wrong about that, I'm just looking for someone to explain why the Democratic Party would organize all of these bus trips from far away lands and then change the venue because they couldn't fill it. Do you honestly believe they couldn't find 35,000 people to see the President of the US in person (the 20,000 politicians/media/etc. that are still going to be at the TWC Arena plus enough to make BofA Stadium look semi-full) if they're supposedly having them bussed in from 250 miles away?
Geez...both you guys are named "son". How odd Philly. Well to answer your query...it certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Are they using Mega busses? Damn dangerous aren't they? Hitting all those overheads and all. Well, it's a short ride. Maybe take dem back roads?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
....I'm just looking for someone to explain why the Democratic Party would organize all of these bus trips from far away lands and then change the venue because they couldn't fill it. Do you honestly believe they couldn't find 35,000 people to see the President of the US in person (the 20,000 politicians/media/etc. that are still going to be at the TWC Arena plus enough to make BofA Stadium look semi-full) if they're supposedly having them bussed in from 250 miles away?
  • On your first question the answer is easy. They failed. Rather than admit defeat, they used the excuse of weather.
  • On your second question if they were organizing bus trips, which your argument agrees they were doing, to bring as little as 50 people hundreds of miles to attend a speech in CLT, then yes they were having trouble. This isn't the hallmark of a sellout event.
So now I will ask you the following. I see where your numbers come from. 20,000 people inside the arena, plus 35,000 more which would put 55,000 into the stadium. Makes sense. So how is it that 65,000 "community credential" holders will be shut out of the event. Add the 20,000 people that can go and we end up with 85,000 ticket holders.

This suggests one of two things. Either the DNC is so incompetant they can't do simple math, or more likely they made up a cover story about the weather in very short notice and didn't think it out. I go with the latter.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 AM

104 posts, read 309,343 times
If you were on of those people waiting for credentials you know that the stadium would be filled.
If you were one of those people caught in the down pour at Carolinafest, you understand the decision.
Carolinafest was packed to the point it was hard to get around.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
This is crazy.

There is no conspiracy. There were over 19000 people on a waiting list to get credentials. People that want to think they wasted the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were spend on set up and staff and security because they couldn't fill the stadium... well, those people are nuts.

**Buses are used to help eliminate the traffic. If you have 50 people coming from MB and they ride together, that's 49 fewer cars to clog 485, 49 fewer cars that have to be parked... etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
  • On your first question the answer is easy. They failed. Rather than admit defeat, they used the excuse of weather.
  • On your second question if they were organizing bus trips, which your argument agrees they were doing, to bring as little as 50 people hundreds of miles to attend a speech in CLT, then yes they were having trouble. This isn't the hallmark of a sellout event.
So now I will ask you the following. I see where your numbers come from. 20,000 people inside the arena, plus 35,000 more which would put 55,000 into the stadium. Makes sense. So how is it that 65,000 "community credential" holders will be shut out of the event. Add the 20,000 people that can go and we end up with 85,000 ticket holders.

This suggests one of two things. Either the DNC is so incompetant they can't do simple math, or more likely they made up a cover story about the weather in very short notice and didn't think it out. I go with the latter.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

For one, I did not admit that Obama/the Democrats were organizing (and paying for as you and some of those UK articles suggest) the bus trips. I was simply saying that if that was the case, then there would be no way they could not find enough people to watch the President of the US speak in person. (No, simply bringing in buses would not be the sole reason for filling the stadium, but if the tickets were that easy to get they would easily fill the place to capacity. However, the tickets were not easy to get and took hours of waiting in line, in addition to the volunteer hours needed).

Nonetheless, your post makes no sense whatsoever. Were you not arguing that the reason the speech was moved was because they could not fill the stadium? So you do actually believe that there were 65,000 community credential holders? So now your argument is that they moved the speech because too many people had tickets?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 AM

More bus trips, originally scheduled to leave today (not yesterday), which people had to pay for (not free), that were cancelled (not still coming):

Richmond County Daily Journal - Bus trip to Democratic National Convention cancelled due to weather

Buncombe Dems cancel trip to Charlotte, will watch Obama's speech at Asheville Pizza and Brewing | Mountain Xpress | Asheville, NC

Assuming the conspiracy theorists are sticking with the reasoning for moving the speech of being that they could not fill the stadium, I also never got an explanation as to why they would do that on such late notice when the attendance estimate for the entire DNC had been 35,000 all along. Frewroad, you had so kindly pointed that out in another thread and when I first saw it I had to look it up to make sure you weren't making things up again, and even posted that that number seemed terribly low. If it was accurate, they would have known all along that there would be empty seats. But estimates are not always 100% accurate. Just as they estimated high on the number of protesters, maybe the estimated low on the number of people that would come to see Obama's speech. And maybe, just maybe, as hard as it is for some of you to believe, it really was moved because of the weather.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
F

Nonetheless, your post makes no sense whatsoever.
You mean you can't cook up something to counter it. You make an argument to try and prove something and when the logic is examined, you slap a big IF on it. LOL. You don't need to provide further proof that you know how to use google by posting more links about bus trips even though you say at the same time you don't mean it.

No cigar for you today.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Please specify what is wrong with my logic. I never said the bus trips didn't exist, as was said several times in this thread bus trips happen to various events all the time. I was simply saying that if the tickets were that easy to get and these trips were being paid for by the Democratic party as you said (which you were proven wrong about), then they could certainly scrape together enough people to fill the stadium.

But that part of my argument doesn't matter (no need to only quote this phrase in your reply), since you are now completely changing your argument. Did you really write earlier that they gave out too many tickets???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte