Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,351,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I find your thinking here way off from reality...

Transplants from where exactly would call that a comparable "skyline" where they would think "do good moving here"?

and as for other cities in general you always see them showcasing them... so not following that comment at all.
Cities like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cincinnati, Denver, Minneapolis and quite a few others are all midsized-large cities that like to get their skylines on camera (especially in front of a National camera). It's all about putting a "face" with a name. There is nothing wrong with a little free advertising that may or may not help us bring new business to town. The U/E rate here is nearly 10% so we could use some new businesses.

On another topic, I just saw a TV commercial advertising the "Presidential Experience" tomorrow at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC. It was a commercial telling folks to get their tickets. IMO, this will cause confusion because some folks might not get the memo until they're already here. Could an angry crowd of folks showing up here anyway cause the DNC to change plans again? This could be interesting...

Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM

469 posts, read 891,584 times
They're already dismantling the staging - it would not be possible to change their minds to reset something that took a very long time to set up.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,351,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
They're already dismantling the staging - it would not be possible to change their minds to reset something that took a very long time to set up.
I just saw that on the observer, thanks for the update.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Cities like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cincinnati, Denver, Minneapolis and quite a few others are all midsized-large cities that like to get their skylines on camera (especially in front of a National camera). It's all about putting a "face" with a name. There is nothing wrong with a little free advertising that may or may not help us bring new business to town. The U/E rate here is nearly 10% so we could use some new businesses.

On another topic, I just saw a TV commercial advertising the "Presidential Experience" tomorrow at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC. It was a commercial telling folks to get their tickets. IMO, this will cause confusion because some folks might not get the memo until they're already here. Could an angry crowd of folks showing up here anyway cause the DNC to change plans again? This could be interesting...
The skyline shots are cool but people don't invest or do business based on the skyline shot IMO. Putting on a good convention on the ground is the let to spurring new business opportunities

I think they will have a few shots but we won't have the stadium shot to go along with it...

Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
..... If these people are being bussed in by Obama and not by their own choice to not deal with traffic and parking then I would think they'd cancel these trips
They are being brought in by the Democratic Party. Here is a notice from Conway SC which is 150 miles from Charlotte.
(Horry County is Myrtle Beach)
Georgetown and Horry County Democratic parties will host a bus trip to the Democratic National Convention to hear President Obama’s acceptance speech at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Charlotte, N.C.
The bus will leave Georgetown at 8 a.m. and Conway at 9 a.m., and return after the president’s speech. Anyone interested should call (843) 488-4237 or email hcdp2012@sccoast.net.
The bus leaving Conway will be located at the Bethel AME Zion Church at the end of the Racepath. (Racepath Avenue) The Racepath in Conway is the main avenue of Tinkertown.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
They are being brought in by the Democratic Party. Here is a notice from Conway SC which is 150 miles from Charlotte.
(Horry County is Myrtle Beach)
Georgetown and Horry County Democratic parties will host a bus trip to the Democratic National Convention to hear President Obama’s acceptance speech at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Charlotte, N.C.
The bus will leave Georgetown at 8 a.m. and Conway at 9 a.m., and return after the president’s speech. Anyone interested should call (843) 488-4237 or email hcdp2012@sccoast.net.
The bus leaving Conway will be located at the Bethel AME Zion Church at the end of the Racepath. (Racepath Avenue) The Racepath in Conway is the main avenue of Tinkertown.
And the bus was not supposed to leave until tomorrow. Why would it still go?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And the bus was not supposed to leave until tomorrow. Why would it still go?
You asked who was paying for it I think that "hosting by" is clear enough. According to my Mom, the bus from Myrtle Beach left today.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Haven't finished reading the whole thread - but here's my 2 cents. I've been in that stadium before during a torrential rain storm. The upper decks turn into waterfalls and the lower deck fills with water. I know this because my seats are in the second row of the lower deck. We cannot sit in our seats (although we sit on top of them) when it gets like that. Row 1 is just flat out of luck - they are completely under water. Secondly, the NFL doesn't stop playing during the rain so if you're game, you can sit in those conditions and watch, but as soon as there is thunder or lightning - you have to leave the seats and go onto the concourses - it's not fun because they are not big enough to hold all those people. Being that this is the DNC and the president is making his acceptance speech, either one of those scenarios would not be ideal and the correct decision was made.

Secondly, I am involved in a festival that brings in over 150,000 people over 4 days. Last year, forecasts were dismal. Everything looked like we were going to have absolute volatile weather. The director checked with all of the meteorologists in town and they all agreed that Monday was going to be a complete washout with dangerous lightning and wind. There had been tornado warnings at various times during the weekend just a few miles from the festival. Friday night a very dangerous storm popped up and destroyed some crafters' tents and made for a very dangerous situation - a tornado touched down maybe 10 miles away. It was a pop up storm and we only had about 15 minute warning. That being said, the board of directors had to meet and weigh everything - safety of the volunteers, safety of 180 crafters and their wares, safety of food vendors, safety of the public, if we got the downpour that was expected, how are the ride operators going to get out of the park - the trailers and rides would be bogged down in mud. The ride operators needed at least overnight to get their stuff out of there before the storms arrived. The very difficult decision was made to call the festival and cancel Monday. Monday came - it was a beautiful day. All the forecasts were wrong, but the board of directors still made the correct decision with all of the information they had. I imagine the DNC went through the same agony that the Board of our festival did in making their decision. It is correct.
Great insight I stood in line for hours getting tickets for Thurs and I saw with my own eyes that there were tons of elderly people there also. It would take at least an hour to get through security to get in, just like every Obama speech. So I'm sure seeing old people struggling through a rain storm was not a photo op they wanted to take a chance on either.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You asked who was paying for it I think that "hosting by" is clear enough. According to my Mom, the bus from Myrtle Beach left today.
I did not ask that. The question I asked was if the bus trip was being paid for by the Democratic party, were they providing free hotel rooms as well? I highly doubt it, so I said if the bus trips were being paid for by the Democratic party then I also highly doubt the trips would actually leave after today's announcement.

According to the bulletin:
Quote:
a bus trip to the Democratic National Convention to hear President Obama’s acceptance speech at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Charlotte, N.C. The bus will leave Georgetown at 8 a.m. and Conway at 9 a.m., and return after the president’s speech.
It doesn't specify exactly, but there'd be no reason for the bus to leave at 8 AM the day before the speech. Sorry, your mom doesn't qualify as a source...unless she was on the bus.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM

just found this: Dozens make trip from Myrtle Beach to DNC : News : CarolinaLive.com

Quote:
Delegates from Horry and Georgetown counties are already in Charlotte, and an additional charter bus full of democratic supporters plan to leave Thursday morning at 9:00a.m. from Bethel AME church in Conway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte