Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
TWC is an average size venue for what it is used for and smilar sized arenas have been used in the past, regardless of press corps complaints.
From Michael Barome, the Washington Examiner
"I’ve been to 22 Democratic and Republican National Conventions in one way, shape or form (see my reflections in this August 25 Wall Street Journal piece) and I’ve been on the floor in 17 of them. So naturally on arriving in Charlotte, I wanted to see the floor of the 18th. So I went over to the Times-Warner Center (the Charlotte Convention Center, like the Tampa Convention Center, houses the press; the convention in each case is in a basketball/hockey arena). And I have one word to report to you. Tiny! Bill Plante of CBS News, who started attending conventions in 1968, when he lugged baggage for Mike Wallace at the Republicans’ convention in Miami Beach, agreed with me that it was the tiniest convention floor he’s ever seen."
Chuck Todd from NBC/MSNBC
"If the convention site had been picked on the basis of the contours of the hall, it would not have been held in Charlotte, ..Charlotte was chosen because David Plouffe thought it would help his boss carry North Carolina. The delegates and the press will have to make the best of it."
Tiny convention floor! | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL We are talking about a football stadium with facilities to transmit national NFL games on all networks in all kinds of weather. They certainly don't cancel NFL games because of a 20% chance of rain.
The do postpone NFL games until things like dangerous lightning past. And since the party's candidate is making his most important speech of the year, there is also a concern that the speech will be interrupted by bad weather. Let alone safely getting 60000+ people in the concourses incase things get rough.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
LOL We are talking about a football stadium with facilities to transmit national NFL games on all networks in all kinds of weather. They certainly don't cancel NFL games because of a 20% chance of rain.
They also don't have a massive amount of electrical equipment on the field, either. Looking at the shot inside the stadium they have a bunch of smaller setups under canopies that turn into lethal weapons in high winds.

That being said I've been at concerts with big soundboard booths and back field speakers mounted on cherry pickers where massive amounts of rain and lightning happened during the show. Nothing was postponed or delayed.

I'm sure safety was a pretty big reason for moving it inside. I'd bet that there were probably other reasons that weren't at all weather related. That's just my cynicism in regards to government in general. If someone says "we don't want to give the visual that Barack is bringing the dark clouds and storms with him for another term", then they're gonna do s**t to make it look otherwise.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
From Michael Barome, the Washington Examiner
"I’ve been to 22 Democratic and Republican National Conventions in one way, shape or form (see my reflections in this August 25 Wall Street Journal piece) and I’ve been on the floor in 17 of them. So naturally on arriving in Charlotte, I wanted to see the floor of the 18th. So I went over to the Times-Warner Center (the Charlotte Convention Center, like the Tampa Convention Center, houses the press; the convention in each case is in a basketball/hockey arena). And I have one word to report to you. Tiny! Bill Plante of CBS News, who started attending conventions in 1968, when he lugged baggage for Mike Wallace at the Republicans’ convention in Miami Beach, agreed with me that it was the tiniest convention floor he’s ever seen."
Chuck Todd from NBC/MSNBC
"If the convention site had been picked on the basis of the contours of the hall, it would not have been held in Charlotte, ..Charlotte was chosen because David Plouffe thought it would help his boss carry North Carolina. The delegates and the press will have to make the best of it."
Tiny convention floor! | WashingtonExaminer.com
That article is only talking about the floor. Even if TW's floor is smaller than most arenas I doubt it'd make a difference of more than 100 or so seats. Last I checked basketball courts and hockey rinks were all the same size...

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm not sure giving exposure to buildings who's occupants were responsible for a giant economic collapse is a great idea. Unless Obama were to come out with a finger wag and some harsh words at those buildings ("Let me be clear... <point, point, point>), it would almost give the illusion of those buildings saying "Don't worry, Barack...we got your back". It's like the most unfortunate photo op ever.

I think Jon Stewart did Charlotte a far better service than any skyline shot. According to the CO...
I agree. I don't think the skyline shot matters. People know where the convention is because all the media has made a big deal about it being here. But I also don't think attendence was going to be a problem at all. People forget this event was free. It's crazy to say they couldn't come up with 60K people at a free historical event. If there is a behind the scenes conspiracy theroy, I'd say it might be because of problems with transportation or issuing that many temporary credentials.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
They also don't have a massive amount of electrical equipment on the field, either. Looking at the shot inside the stadium they have a bunch of smaller setups under canopies that turn into lethal weapons in high winds.
Maybe you don't watch the NFL. There are cameras all over the field. In contrast Obama's speech won't require that much in the way of cameras relative to two NFL teams running all over a foot ball field.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
Quote:
It's all Bush's fault!

All this talk of relating to the common man and a bit of rain has Obama running into the arena? Come on, Barry! Toughen up, you big pansy! Football games get played in the rain. Concerts go on in the rain. I've seen enough shows in fierce weather and we all stayed! Don't worry about getting wet, dude! Relate to that common man! Relate to that guy who would sit in those very stands with a hot dog in one hand, a beer in the other, repeating the chilidog he had two hours ago, and watching another Panthers losing season unfold in front of him! Keep it at the stadium! All your stuff's already erected and paid for! It's wind and water. You won't shrivel up like the Wicked Witch of the...oh wait....
I was going to say the same thing. Football fans watch their favorite team in the rain, snow and sleet, all decked out in rain coats. So what's wrong with a little rain? If their supporters are as die hard as they believe they are, no rain or thunderstorm should dampen their spirits. There are the same electrical equipment in football games, the same number of cameras. Now they'll upset their supporters who can't get in...way to get the votes, yeah!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM

NWS Forecast for Thursday night.
Thursday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 71. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Doesn't sound like a forecast that would cancel football games.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't watch the NFL. There are cameras all over the field. In contrast Obama's speech won't require that much in the way of cameras relative to two NFL teams running all over a foot ball field.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of those cameras are set up at the top of the stadium. They are not sending the techs up there to set them up in the rain. They become human lightening rods besides the fact that you do not make the actul connection in the rain. You can weather proof the connections once they've been made. I've worked games in the rain. The crew gets called in from the set-up in the rain.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
I guess I don't....because I've never seen a football game with a ton of folding chairs, a giant stage, a few risers, and at least seven canopies on the playing field.

I must've missed the NFL games where they laid out an obstacle course like that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte