Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM

469 posts, read 891,475 times

Advertisements

This is what it looks like at BOA stadium when it rains - even a little bit. It's a bowl - the rain has to go somewhere
Monsoon at Bank of America Stadium - YouTube

I know - I've been there for every game where it's rained.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 09-06-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Back to the set up. There is an article in the Kings Mountain Herald this week. One of the crew is staying in Kings Mountain. Someone from the paper happened upon him & interviewed him. DNC draws folks from near & far, even Harrisburg, PA! It clearly stated that in the 1st day of the set up they spent 10 hours hauling cable. Setting up for this was not the same as setting up for a football game. If there is lightening involved that is a recipe for a calamity. The electricity flowing through the cables will be a hazard.

Based on the weather reports at the time, they made the right call. This is something that cannot be switched an hour before-hand. The Republican spin on this is despicable. They had weather problems, too.

For the record, I'm an independent.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
I suppose, like many things, when the DNC said on Tuesday "come rain or shine" the event will be held in the BofA Stadium...... They didn't really mean it.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM

469 posts, read 891,475 times
rain could have been fine - lightning, not so much - they made the right call

Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM

28 posts, read 31,625 times
Hot, Humid with a chance of Thunderstorms.... That is the forecast from May through September since forever in Charlotte. Today is NO different. It makes one side look bad and one side a chance to laugh and say you couldnt fill the stadium. Dems were stupid to plan it this way and hope the weather would cooperate. Then again, Hope still hasnt been delivered in four years

Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM

84 posts, read 152,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane22 View Post
Hot, Humid with a chance of Thunderstorms.... That is the forecast from May through September since forever in Charlotte. Today is NO different. It makes one side look bad and one side a chance to laugh and say you couldnt fill the stadium. Dems were stupid to plan it this way and hope the weather would cooperate. Then again, Hope still hasnt been delivered in four years
true on all ACCOUNTS!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
It was a good call, we might not have currently, the thunderstorm monsoon we had this afternoon but the chance is to high.
There a cell with alot of red lingering over Concord right now WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground

This state has a high number of lightening deaths plus evacuating a coliseum would have been mayhem.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
All of the Charlotte weather stations show 0 rainfall in the last 24 hours. I know we have had none here and my $30 electronic weather station accurately predicted no rain for yesterday evening. There is a blogger from Lake Norman who said that at one of the hotels, that delegates were still trying to give away tickets to the event until Wednesday morning but there were no takers.

IMO, the DNC did a big disservice to Charlotte by switching the event. I don't think there was much of a risk of weather as the storms had pretty much ended before the event was called. But canceling the event did cause a lot of people to leave the city early or not come at all and hotels, who were promised a 4 night event ended up with a 2 night event given that the DNC had already downsized the event to just 3 days instead of 4. Second, Charlotte lost it's big night of national airtime with skyline views of the city and stadium like they had during Denver. There were a lot of promises here to the taxpayers and businesses that were not kept.

Anyone, doing just a little thinking, might have realized that holding an event in the SE in August comes with a weather risk. Yet there appear to have been no contingency plans put in place for holding the event anywhere else should the weather not comply. Thus, I conclude they intended to hold it in the arena come rain or shine (their words) and the only reason they didn't was because they couldn't find the bodies to sit in there. I notice that on the new this morning that alternative venues for watching the President downtown on live TV were close to empty leading credence to this along with all the other evidence.

We will never know for certain of course because that is the nature of "spin".

(before some of you blow a gasket, this is an opinion post, so get over it)

Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
It's a complete lie that there was no rain in the last 24 hours. I was in downtown Charlotte yesterday afternoon and it absolutely poured rain. You are entitled to your pinion but not to make up facts!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
All of the Charlotte weather stations show 0 rainfall in the last 24 hours. I know we have had none here and my $30 electronic weather station accurately predicted no rain for yesterday evening. There is a blogger from Lake Norman who said that at one of the hotels, that delegates were still trying to give away tickets to the event until Wednesday morning but there were no takers.

IMO, the DNC did a big disservice to Charlotte by switching the event. I don't think there was much of a risk of weather as the storms had pretty much ended before the event was called. But canceling the event did cause a lot of people to leave the city early or not come at all and hotels, who were promised a 4 night event ended up with a 2 night event given that the DNC had already downsized the event to just 3 days instead of 4. Second, Charlotte lost it's big night of national airtime with skyline views of the city and stadium like they had during Denver. There were a lot of promises here to the taxpayers and businesses that were not kept.

Anyone, doing just a little thinking, might have realized that holding an event in the SE in August comes with a weather risk. Yet there appear to have been no contingency plans put in place for holding the event anywhere else should the weather not comply. Thus, I conclude they intended to hold it in the arena come rain or shine (their words) and the only reason they didn't was because they couldn't find the bodies to sit in there. I notice that on the new this morning that alternative venues for watching the President downtown on live TV were close to empty leading credence to this along with all the other evidence.

We will never know for certain of course because that is the nature of "spin".

(before some of you blow a gasket, this is an opinion post, so get over it)
I know you're ignoring me but I'm not going to stop responding to your ridiculous claims.
  • No rain in the past 24 hours? No, maybe it wasn't bad last night, but there were thunderstorms earlier in the day. Besides, what the weather actually was like is irrelevant since the decision was made on Wednesday morning. That said, I will agree that they probably should have known that a chance of thunderstorms was a typical occurrence this time of year so maybe it would have been smarter to hold it in TWC all along, which by the way obviously was the contingency plan so I'm not sure why you're saying there wasn't one.
  • So you really think setting everything up at the stadium, wasting God knows how many hours, was just a rouse to make it seem like they were really trying to hold it at BofA Stadium? LOL, the conspiracies know no bounds.
  • Oh my, a blogger in Lake Norman said they were trying to give away tickets on Wednesday morning, it must be true! Maybe that blogger should hire the girl from the school paper you were linking to before.
  • So because people did not show up to watch the President on TV, that all of the sudden means they would not have come to see him in person? LOL, I know that is your opinion, but it's pretty dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte