Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Lightning around stadium. Heavy Rain on Raymond James. Flashback: 7pm-10pm DNC... Clear Skies. The full day maybe at most had 15 minutes of rain, just rain.
COMPLETE AND UTTER FABRICATION.

Skies were cloudy, I live near uptown. AND it RAINED just southeast of uptown AT THE BEGINNING OF BIDEN'S SPEECH! I was listening to Biden on the radio and driving home to catch Obama on the TV after spending the evening uptown and roads were soaking wet from Hawthorne to Wendover!!

Those are FACTS. I wouldn't suspect most political types to be interested in THOSE.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That & the person who said rain or shine hadn't spoken to the technical people. The person in charge of the technical set up would have told them that, based on the weather report, they needed to be ready with a contingency plan by Tuesday at the latest.
Lol, only one party is allowed to change a position and maintain credibility....that is, one's own party affiliation.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
COMPLETE AND UTTER FABRICATION.

Skies were cloudy, I live near uptown. AND it RAINED just southeast of uptown AT THE BEGINNING OF BIDEN'S SPEECH! I was listening to Biden on the radio and driving home to catch Obama on the TV after spending the evening uptown and roads were soaking wet from Hawthorne to Wendover!!

Those are FACTS. I wouldn't suspect most political types to be interested in THOSE.
Indeed, isolated thunderstorms and heavy rains throughout the metro early evening....it was a good call!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The statement, "Come Rain or Shine" was made to the national press by Jim Messina who is Obama's 2012 Campaign manager and was also his Deputy Chief of Staff Operations for the White House. The only person who could over ride his decisions would be Obama himself. If he doesn't know how to talk to technical people before talking to the national press and making decisions then I'd say that it doesn't bode well for Obama's campaign.
The crew chief & the technical manager would have discussed this over the weekend. The technical manager would have discussed this with a liason. That's the chain of command. It's like playing telephone. If the chain broke down, the message was not delivered. The public message should have been "We're watching the weather & a decision will be made on that basis at the earliest time possible."

I called several out of state people when I heard rain or shine & told them that I thought that there was something wrong & why. You are allowed to form any opinion that you want, but I am stating an informed opinion because I have worked outside broadcast events.

I asked you before how many you've worked & you did not respond so I have concluded that your opinion is based on watching TV. In a broadcast sports event the point of breakdown would be fired. In this case, the point of breakdown was probably a volunteer.

The right decision was made. You can not have a field of people sitting in folding metal chairs in a rainstorm that might contain lightening. Technical set up can not occur in the rain.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,655 times
Quote:
The statement, "Come Rain or Shine" was made to the national press by Jim Messina who is Obama's 2012 Campaign manager and was also his Deputy Chief of Staff Operations for the White House. The only person who could over ride his decisions would be Obama himself. If he doesn't know how to talk to technical people before talking to the national press and making decisions then I'd say that it doesn't bode well for Obama's campaign.
*Snort* Please, do go on. Because the entire text of the statement was "We plan to be there rain or shine — unless there’s a safety issue. We’ll continue to monitor the weather. It’s going to be a special moment, and we’re really excited about it.”

If you're basing predictions about the election on statements to the press about the weather - and, really, who doesn't? - I'd say THAT bodes quite well for the Obama campaign. Foresight, contingency plan, clear communication.

Obama's Speech Will Be Outdoors, Unless Safety Is an Issue, Aides Say - NYTimes.com

Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
*Snort* Please, do go on. Because the entire text of the statement was "We plan to be there rain or shine — unless there’s a safety issue. We’ll continue to monitor the weather. It’s going to be a special moment, and we’re really excited about it.”
OK. You left out the part where it says that when this statement was made, they said it would not be possible to change it after that. I didn't include all of this because it has nothing to do with the point. It was clear on Tuesday the event was going to be held in the Stadium and they were still trying to get people to take tickets on Wednesday morning. (they simply couldn't fill up the place)
Convention planners said that Tuesday morning, when the decision was made, was the last possible point at which they believed they could pull off a relatively organized switch to an indoor venue
Rain or shine, Obama to address Democratic convention outdoors - latimes.com

If you believe that weasel wording is a good thing, then I can see where you think it would be good for Obama.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post

If you're basing predictions about the election on statements to the press about the weather - and, really, who doesn't? - I'd say THAT bodes quite well for the Obama campaign. Foresight, contingency plan, clear communication.

Obama's Speech Will Be Outdoors, Unless Safety Is an Issue, Aides Say - NYTimes.com
LOL, the 1st statement of rain or shine came out & threw up the flags to me. Shortly afterward a clarification came out that it was concerning Carolina Fest. The next statement was what you posted. Clearly there was a breakdown in the chain & when the technical manager heard the 1st announcement, he made a call & bypassed the chain of command. The ugly remains of Isaac were handled much better in Charlotte than what went on in Tampa. Personally, I would have called it a day earlier, but that's just me. The week before had perfect weather. You win some & you lose some. I'm Independent & I thought the Democrats did a great job & Charlotte came off really well.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
LOL, the 1st statement of rain or shine came out & threw up the flags to me. Shortly afterward a clarification came out that it was concerning Carolina Fest.
Carolina Fest was already over before any of this was said.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Carolina Fest was already over before any of this was said.
I heard that on Monday morning.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I heard that on Monday morning.
The statement "Come Rain or Shine" made by the President's campaign manager was made on Tuesday. For that matter, I was at Carolina Fest on Monday and there was a ton of AV equipment strewn all over downtown including large camera arrays at the performing stages, roving reporters with camera people, an interview stand, etc etc. They had no issue with this stuff there even though on Monday the forecast was a lot more threatening than it was on Thursday. They even planned to hold the concert AFTER it had rained on people in a down pour. Seems they had no issues with people being in the rain then along with the AV equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte