Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,560 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your situation. I too am from up north and found it difficult at first. I am not sure of your spiritual beleifs but it is evident that you were lead to come here knowing that you didn't have a job. You have find out what is your purpose. I know some one from New York that has a marketing degree and has worked for Tiffany's and Co. for years, moved to the South and now owns a restaurant. Not because she loves to cook or because that is her area of expertise. She needed to find something she could do that would allow her to be of great service to God, be attentive to her family and afford her the luxury of send her SIX kids to college. You came here for a reason other than work. Find out what that is, do what you should. The money will follow. In the mean time sned me a copy of your resume and a breif run down of your interview tactics. I use to help a recruiter with taking on the challenge of helping Restaurants find Management for a salary. I no longer work for the company. It has became my ministry. I have been blessed by helping others help themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 AM

72 posts, read 238,390 times
No way. Everyone here is from somewhere else. That has nothing to do with it. The job market simply SUCKS.

My story: I came down here 2.5 years ago to attend school for my MBA and after graduation, I looked and looked for MONTHS... I would sit here all day long and apply for jobs (mainly over the Internet - company websites, CareerBuilder, Monster, etc.), and NOTHING. Not even a phone call... I got pretty depressed. I contacted recruiters, sent my resume to temp agencies, still nothing... I sent my resume to a friend at Bank of America, who forwarded it to a B of A recruiter, and got a phone interview with her, but heard NOTHING back after that (even though I DID follow up with her, she just wouldnt contact me back). Out of desperation, I contacted the department from which I graduated from and asked them to forward me any "back door" type of job opportunities, which they do get sometimes (you have to be a student or alumni to get on the list, though). Finally an opportunity came through for which I was qualified, and I immediately contacted the company, got a phone interview, then 2 in-person interviews and finally landed the job after one month. I am making as much money as I did when I started with my bachelors up in NJ 4 years ago, but I don't care, it's finally a job. The only reason this job was even open was because the person currently in the position is leaving (to move somewhere else with her family), it wasn't that the firm is expanding or anything.

The bottom line is that there are just too many people competing for the same few-and-far-between opportunities, and the education levels here are really high, and people have lots of great experience. It's VERY competitive. The other thing that I have learned the hard way is that you cannot get a job unless you know someone or have an "in" as I did with my school's connections. Applying online doesn't work, they receive soooo many resumes for these positions. You have to get your resume IN FRONT of someone to even get noticed. Maybe there are a few people out there who've landed jobs by answering Want ads or whatever, but to me, that's the exception rather than the rule. I was THISCLOSE to leaving Charlotte for lack of a job.... I dont understand why people continue to stream in here, especially without jobs (no offense O.P.), because it gets to the point where there will just be too many people here and there is no more quality of life.

TO THOSE NOT HERE YET, DONT COME UNTIL YOU ALREADY HAVE A JOB LINED UP!!!!! Otherwise you will sit for a looong time unemployed.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Congratulations on your new job Chesneygirl! Your advice to get a job BEFORE moving is very sound.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
It takes longer for them to interview down here. I am also from the North and have learned that it can take one, two or three months to get an interview. I am not kidding because it happened to me. They are slow down here!!!!
Has it occurred to you (and others) that there may not be any openings?? It has nothing to do with being from the north, west, Mars...sheesh! Have you considered going back to any of the 6-8 colleges for additional certifications, refresher, career advice?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Okay where I'm at may be a little biased but here goes:

I network with lot's of folks...not for jobs because I have one but for interest and small talk when meeting people.

If I had to make a guess 75% of the folks I talk to with median/good/great/ jobs have degrees from Harvard/Yale/Princeton....ect.....some of the best of the best......that's going to make it hard no matter where your looking. Lot's of folks are not even from this country and have built their resumes to absolute amazing level. Most of these folks are between 22-30 years old and obviously have a good head on them. All I can say is good luck.

Job first before you move is a must. next when your in interviews know your material. These folks know there stuff....one exp. a hiring manager for Wachovia was explaining to me even the best of the best when they get in the job interviews don't know their stuff like they should even with internships and and very impressive degrees. He was from South Africa and moved here for the job.....he recently has taken another job in London. these folks are from all over the world that's a pretty big pool to choose from when going against folks for jobs.

Again just my two cents I am in uptown Charlotte so I am probably only seeing one side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte