Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM

111 posts, read 323,552 times

Advertisements

I've heard comments on this board and others about how some people say Charlotte is going to be the "next Detroit", obviously I don't believe that. But when you compare Charlotte to others cities, lets say Austin, Nashville, Raleigh, or even Atlanta, economically are we better off or worse off? Or are we still playing catch up? I think Charlotte is a great place to live. Uptown is probably one of the cleanest and most well kept downtowns I have ever been to. We have beautiful neighborhoods and some very nice suburban areas. One thing that worries me about Charlotte's future, is how backwards our state government can be. North Carolina teacher salaries are one of the lowest in the country. Putting ridiculous amendments, like prop one on our ballots during a time when people are becoming more accepting of same sex marriage. I fear, may end up eventually doing NC more harm than good in the long run. Still NC is probably on the more "liberal" of the southern states. I also hope that Charlotte continues to attract other businesses, other than banking. And I hope that Charlotte doesn't lose it's hub once the American Airlines merger is complete. I don't think we will, but if we did, it could definitely have some negative impacts on our economy in the future. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM

173 posts, read 297,036 times
charlotte will keep doing just fine. its already ahead of nashville raleigh and austin in terms of offerings

Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM

109 posts, read 200,280 times
I always laugh when I hear someone say Charlotte will be the next Detroit - it's just a fear mongering statement.

I do think Charlotte is on the right track, but there is no smooth ride ahead. I am glad that the city of Charlotte (not speaking of the region) is becoming more urban needs focused including connectivity (roads, mass transit, and pedestrian) between the center city and most of its immediate surrounding areas.

I also think that the city is becoming more and more aggressive in attracting larger employers of diverse industries, while still building up the financial services backbone of the city.

What I think is a problem is that there is not enough venture capital in the city for smaller start-ups that can really bring an energy to the business environment.

As far as the Charlotte region and the State - it's hard to say. Despite battles here and there - I think Charlotte is fortunate to be the undisputed king of its region and most surrounding municipalities rely on Charlotte rather than compete with it which is good for us.

The State? Well - The State (dem or repub) is politics and I do think that as much damage or good either party does in Raleigh it is rarely of permanence to the future of Charlotte.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 AM

88 posts, read 129,755 times
I agree with CLTMark.
Has anyone been to Detroit? Or Pittsburgh? Or any of these middle America cities? There is no comparison. Charlotte even looks loke a dream! New and clean. If we could just put more money into the schools.....

Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
I agree with CLTMark.
Has anyone been to Detroit? Or Pittsburgh? Or any of these middle America cities? There is no comparison. Charlotte even looks loke a dream! New and clean. If we could just put more money into the schools.....
I'm originally from Pittsburgh and I'm in the city right now... headed back to Charlotte tonight. Pittsburgh is probably slightly ahead of Charlotte in terms of transpo, walkability and infastructure. Charlotte is more diverse and has it beat when it comes to climate.

Detroit... well, no need to touch that comparison. When someone says Detroit, I put them on the "no clue" list...lol.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is probably slightly ahead of Charlotte in terms of transpo,
walkability and infrastructure.
^Agreed. However Charlotte ahead of Austin, TX....Yeah right....Dream on...We have a little ways to go.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
^Agreed. However Charlotte ahead of Austin, TX....Yeah right....Dream on...We have a little ways to go.
Yeah..... No one said that we were.....

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
How so? Charlotte got light rail before Austin and it's about to be expanded again. Austin's core is probably more developed and walkable though.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM

I've actually heard that a lot of people say that Austin is way overrated. And that besides from the music scene it isn't all that people hype it up to be. Charlotte does light rail Austin does not. Not to mention, Charlotte has one of the busiest airports in the world. And Charlotre definitely has more beauty from a greenery standpoint. I've heard people describe Austin as almost being deserty. Although I'm sure some people prefer that. I however prefer lots of trees and lots of green.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
I've actually heard that a lot of people say that Austin is way overrated. And that besides from the music scene it isn't all that people hype it up to be. Charlotte does light rail Austin does not. Not to mention, Charlotte has one of the busiest airports in the world. And Charlotre definitely has more beauty from a greenery standpoint. I've heard people describe Austin as almost being deserty. Although I'm sure some people prefer that. I however prefer lots of trees and lots of green.
Austin does have light rail: Riding MetroRail - Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Not having yet been to Austin, I'm sure Charlotte has more greenery since it is in the Piedmont, but to say that Austin is almost like a desert is highly inaccurate. It sits along the Colorado River with three lakes in the city, and the western part is in the hill country which resembles the Piedmont in terms of geography and vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte