Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times

Advertisements

Nearest Bloomingdale's is at Lenox in Atlanta. And they also have a huge Macy's will a full designer selection. But of course, that was the former Rich's flagship store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM

341 posts, read 761,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Not likely to happen anytime soon. The entire state of Texas doesn't even have a Bloomingdales.

I always thought having another luxury shopping center uptown, with a Bloomingdales and/or Saks Fifth Ave would be awesome, with lot's of other retail. Not that I could afford to shop there, but to have another upscale shopping location, and add much needed retail to uptown. The 1st ward project (whenever that gets started) is supposed to have some, as well as the new SkyHouse building and midtown projects.
Never say never. Bloomingdale's was supposed to open at Duke Energy Center, but the economy went downhill.

The fact that Texas does not have a store does not mean that much. Neiman Marcus as a whole company is strong, but in Texas only Nordstrom is able to compete with NM. Saks is closing their only Dallas store this month. Bloomingdale's and Saks aren't doing as well as Nordstrom or Neiman. However, I think both are improving, especially Saks. I'm fairly certain TX has just as many Nordstrom stores as Neiman, which never happens.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
I can definitely see south park with highrises... similar to the buckhead area

Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That's almost the size of uptowns skyline. Maybe one day. I'm not sure there's enough room to get but within a quarter of that.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
That's almost the size of uptowns skyline. Maybe one day. I'm not sure there's enough room to get but within a quarter of that.

I think our metro is growing just as fast as ATL's metro though and only in nearly 2 to 3 decades or so we should be -nearly- the size of present day ATL.

To me, that's a short short time. That's Why mass transit is so important & can't wait.

And I prayyyy Southpark never for a longggg time looks anywhere near that size... At all.. It all needs to be centered around uptown (and bordering hoods). As much as possible

Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Yeah it would be nice to have some better transportation options to Southpark, especially if/when it grows.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 AM

310 posts, read 672,685 times
I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy stick in the mud. I live in what is considered the "South Park area", and I used to be able to drive through South Park in less than 1-2 mins. Now? Yeah, I'm stopping every block, even in the middle of the day. Sometimes I can't see the Sun due to all the "wonderful" new development that's gone on. So I'm definitely a big "No" to high rises and Light Rail stations dotting South Park. And what is going on with that horrid looking concrete building being put up behind the Burger King? I know, I know, the price of "progress" and all that.

Then again, I'm looking to move to a nice quiet piece of foothills in Eastern Tennessee outside Knoxville as soon as I can, can't stand all this hustle and bustle, so it stands to reason I'd feel this way. Either way, the folks who salivate over Charlotte becoming all metro and cosmopolitan are getting their way, and should be very happy! Different strokes

Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Well the mall has been there for over 40 years. Obviously the area got bigger than many people might have expected, but I'd say traffic and/or development near a major mall should be expected.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy stick in the mud. I live in what is considered the "South Park area", and I used to be able to drive through South Park in less than 1-2 mins. Now? Yeah, I'm stopping every block, even in the middle of the day. Sometimes I can't see the Sun due to all the "wonderful" new development that's gone on. So I'm definitely a big "No" to high rises and Light Rail stations dotting South Park. And what is going on with that horrid looking concrete building being put up behind the Burger King? I know, I know, the price of "progress" and all that.

Then again, I'm looking to move to a nice quiet piece of foothills in Eastern Tennessee outside Knoxville as soon as I can, can't stand all this hustle and bustle, so it stands to reason I'd feel this way. Either way, the folks who salivate over Charlotte becoming all metro and cosmopolitan are getting their way, and should be very happy! Different strokes
You might like Greenville, SC. A bit calmer and quieter, very nice downtown, great restaurants, and at the foothills of the mountains. But still near Charlotte and Atlanta if necessary. Plus you can also get Clt TV stations with an antenna, and the Charlotte Observer is also distributed here. And lower SC taxes and gas prices. Just something to consider.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Charlotte is about 30-40 years behind Atlanta in terms of population. Maybe in about 25+ years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte