Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,636,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I do jest big-time and saddened you don't remember me... =(
Oh dear. I will go back and read posts, Mikey. We have several Mikes and I do get confused. Just don't wait so long in between posts so I can keep up!!!

ETA: Mikey! Doom and Gloom Mike!!!! Our mortgage, finance, housing market discussions, right??? Where have you BEEN? Gotten lost in all the "cosmopology" of Charlotte???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM

206 posts, read 515,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanx for the kind words, Gator . . . this subject - about CLT being cosmopolitan - has been beaten into the ground. I do think some people interpret my remarks (and those of other natives) as being rude at times, b/c we probably come across - on this subject, especially - as somewhat prickly.

The truth is - who cares if Charlotte is cosmopolitan or not. It all depends on what you mean. That is like the other threads on whether CLT is liberal or progressive. Good grief. There are many tiers to "liberal" and to "progressive." There is fiscal liberalism as opposed to social liberalism.

Same for CLT being cosmopolitan. Yes, we have people living here from all over the world . . . yes, we have diverse neighborhoods. Etc. Etc.

I think what most people need to know about CLT is . . . you can have whatever life you want here, w/in certain restrictions. We don't have dozens of nightlife hotspots that stay open all nite, so if that is what makes a city "cosmopolitan," you won't find it here. This is not NYC, the City that Never Sleeps. We sleep here.

If you want Berkeley, you won't really find it here. If you want San Francisco, you won't really find it here. If you want Seattle, you won't really find it here. However, you can find bits and pieces. If you want London and/or NYC . . . move to London and/or NYC.

The main thing most newcomers don't "see" about CLT is . . . the bulk of socializing that goes on in this city is in homes, private clubs, church groups and w/ friends getting together. People who have the same interests find each other and then hang out together, be it in neighborhoods w/ back yard BBQs or be it in condos uptown or at someone's social club, church group, etc. There are also groups of people who get together and head to other cities (such as ATL) to see concerts or to party. So what goes on in CLT is often NOT visible to the casual eye.

Charlotte is what we all make it. Whatever you bring, then that is what is here. If you bring a good attitude, then that will increase the "kindness" factor . . . and no demographer can measure those types of intangible things. Regardless of where you hail from originally - be it another part of the USA or from another country - CLT is what we all make it. Attitudes are everything.

If you want something here and can't find it - create it. You want to celebrate your ethnic heritage and you feel no one is recognizing you? Get busy and start a festival. Life is what you make it. Don't wait for someone to hand you a life. Find what you want or make something new . . . but quit complaining or disparaging others b/c you haven't found exactly what it is you want here in Charlotte, NC. It is not up to those who have lived here for generations to twist themselves into a pretzel so you can find your comfort zone.
You hit the nail on its head. As a recent transplant, I've found a healthy number of people who complain about Charlotte but have not made the effort to get out and make it happen for them. I am enjoying Charlotte while still missing some aspects of NY but I didn't expect Charlotte to be NY either.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
You hit the nail on its head. As a recent transplant, I've found a healthy number of people who complain about Charlotte but have not made the effort to get out and make it happen for them. I am enjoying Charlotte while still missing some aspects of NY but I didn't expect Charlotte to be NY either.
Hey, Westchestergal! So glad you are getting settled in . . . one positive about CLT is - you can still make trips back to NYC!!! YEA!! Is there anyone who doesn't need a NYC fix every so often????

Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,050,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ETA: Mikey! Doom and Gloom Mike!!!! Our mortgage, finance, housing market discussions, right??? Where have you BEEN? Gotten lost in all the "cosmopology" of Charlotte???????
At the risk of inciting the wrath de Sunny... I am that Mikey.

I was in Mooresville, but I'm back in NY as my wife basically told me either we move back or we get divorced. So, here I am back. It was a crazy 3-4 months to say the least.

On topic, I felt Charlotte was plenty Cosmopolitan (this with me coming from 25 miles outside of NYC) and really would have loved to stay. I decided that I could add value to this forum based on my experience of trying to pull off the relo.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,704,071 times
I think what Charlotte needs is bigger variety of restaurants. Don't get me wrong, we have more restaurants chains and independent mom and pops that I ever saw in FL. However, it is mostly the same kind of food. We need more thai, vietnamese, upscale chinese, CUBAN (guess where I am from...) french, spanish, middle eastern, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,624,692 times
Or some good mediterranean deli's and restaurant
I could go for some falafel, good hummus, grape leaves, good artichoke heart or kebobs

Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,914,234 times
Oh dear god! Not another, "Is Charlotte cosmopolitan?" To some it is, to some it isn't. NEXT TOPIC PLEASE! Too bad so many Asians and other foreign newcomers are educated and have jobs better than jumping into the precarious restaurant industry. Buy international cookbooks, get over it! Geeeez! Make your own bloody hummus, it is the easiest thing in the world to make. Buy some skewers and make your own kebobs. Also, pretty easy. Geeeez, I need some wine!!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,704,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Oh dear god! Not another, "Is Charlotte cosmopolitan?" To some it is, to some it isn't. NEXT TOPIC PLEASE! Too bad so many Asians and other foreign newcomers are educated and have jobs better than jumping into the precarious restaurant industry. Buy international cookbooks, get over it! Geeeez! Make your own bloody hummus, it is the easiest thing in the world to make. Buy some skewers and make your own kebobs. Also, pretty easy. Geeeez, I need some wine!!
If you don't like the Thread, don't stick your nose in it. Some of us are enjoying the conversation.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
At the risk of inciting the wrath de Sunny... I am that Mikey.

I was in Mooresville, but I'm back in NY as my wife basically told me either we move back or we get divorced. So, here I am back. It was a crazy 3-4 months to say the least.

On topic, I felt Charlotte was plenty Cosmopolitan (this with me coming from 25 miles outside of NYC) and really would have loved to stay. I decided that I could add value to this forum based on my experience of trying to pull off the relo.
MIKE!!! No wonder you have not been hanging out on the forum! I wish your wife would have liked it here. I so enjoyed our conversations.

Well, w/ your having lived here - and especially w/ coming from NYC region - seems to me you have very valuable insights about life here.

We are gonna keep you as an honorary NC resident, Mike. You never know - you might find yourself back here someday. Stranger things have happened . . .

Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM

CLTKing - I would like to see more Cuban, too!!! Even w/ the lousy economy, I think a well publicized Cuban restaurant in S. CLT would make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte