Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
And the ball is returned...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...r-expects.html

"School board chair Richard Yercheck said Tuesday he expects his group will accept the county commissioners’ surprise $3 million offer to buy 49 mobile units."..."I’m one of nine votes...I suspect we’ll take the $3 million and buy the trailers,” Yercheck said. “But we would need to move a smaller number because we have schools that have reached core capacity for safety issues."

But hold on...

"But the units do not prevent the district from capping attendance at schools, Yercheck said."

and now the bad news...

"Three schools have reached their maximum capacity; the school board capped enrollment in November for Marvin Ridge Middle, Porter Ridge Middle and Kensington Elementary. If there is no student reassignment, a fourth school would be capped next year and four others would come close."

Redistricting, trailers and caps for all.
You think it's hard to sell a home in a redistricting zone....try selling in a capped zone. Yikes

Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhaw14 View Post
I will agree with you. However i will just correct one minor item on your last paragraph when you say EVERYONE. Because there is enough of illusions on FB and other media, about redistricting issue. As people believe nobody has any problem with trailers, everybody is against redistricting, people at BOE meetings are truely represent entire county and whoever took those stupid online surveys, fully represent population of Union county ( by the way there should be last question on the survey to ask if you are impacted by redistricting say YES or NO then you would know how biased those results are).
Agreed and thank you for that correction! Great point!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
Webb said the 49 trailers would be good for up to 4 yrs….where are you getting the idea it is only for 1 yr? it is actually comical how the pro-redistrictors change their tune….2 weeks ago it was "well we could use MCR's, but we don't have the money, so its not an option" well guess what, you got the money now….now it seems you don't like that idea
Do you actually live in Union County? Just wondering. Four years? Please drive around and visit the places that you speak of. Simple math and a good old fashioned calculator may help in your journeys. And a few of these (as stated in an earlier post)...

Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I like to think of the meetings/presentations as work sessions. The public is invited, obviously, but it is still somewhat raw material and not set in stone. I wish folks would stop pouncing on the slides and spoken words and dissecting them. They are trying to work on options and this is all preliminary. So yes, I agree with what you said above. Thanks.
It's February and these "work sessions" that impact students for August are preliminary? That on it's own is a problem.

Actually it's probably earlier than August when you think about Spring training and such.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's February and these "work sessions" that impact students for August are preliminary? That on it's own is a problem.

Actually it's probably earlier than August when you think about Spring training and such.

Well, they had the redistricting maps pretty well developed I'd say! And that would have been a clear solution for overcrowding (yes, the initial and underlying issue). But there was an outcry from the public and they attempted to address other options. Yes?

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 02-04-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM

49 posts, read 59,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Webb and Ellis made that presentation and comments. Yercheck did not, so he obviously has a different opinion on the subject. However, Webb and Ellis will have to backtrack or give a clearer explanation of their preliminary assessments.

I look at this from the business world reality view and not the soundbite view. The UCPS staff needed to come back with a list of alternatives for the BOE to explore. They needed the BOE to provide some direction and react to options. A preliminary list is rarely fully analyzed. A mix of data, estimates and intuition are used to create each option. I can't recall if the BOE actually said go look at options X Y and Z at the last meeting, but only then would the deep dive and resources be put in place to build a fully modeled business case for each.

Everyone was quick to jump all over the "bussing is free" option and call staff out for not having every detail. But now that there is $3M on the table, everyone expects the MCR option to have included every detail and it's locked in stone? Is it OK to ask for more detail on one option, but then back track and force them to stick to what was on the paper in another option?

were you at the last BOE meeting? I heard Dr Webb say, to avoid redistricting and future caps, one option being considered was MCR's….they needed 49 to address the situation at a cost of about 2.9 million….i don't remember anyone on the BOE challenging him at that time. the downside to that option was securing the funds….well, you now have the funds for that option, whats the problem?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Do you actually live in Union County? Just wondering. Four years? Please drive around and visit the places that you speak of. Simple math and a good old fashioned calculator may help in your journeys. And a few of these (as stated in an earlier post)...

I didn't say it, Dr Webb said it….but i guess you claim you are smarter than Dr Webb when it comes to educational issues

Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

Agreed, Mike. This should have started earlier. This was all delayed during the September Facilities Committee meeting due to the lawsuit with the BOCC.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Okay, you win. I'm sold! I have constantly read that the shorter commute was better for the kids, the western clusters have more academic and social opportunities. Hell, my house is closer to CHS Parkwood....so is everything south of downtown Waxhaw..... I WANT IN! And now that capacity isn't a problem I'm going to start pushing the BOE to EXPAND the boundaries of said schools. We can build a trailer city and bring kids from all over the county to experience the wonders of a good education. I will be setting up a survey, FB page and I'm recruiting help based on volume. Who's with me?

you doing ok there raith? lol

Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Well, they had the redistricting maps pretty well developed I'd say! And that would have been a clear solution for overcrowding (yes, the initial and underlying issue). But there was an outcry from the public and they attempted to address other options. Yes? Yes? Yes? Gah, you are some unforgiving folks you facebook frenzied followers.

how dare the FB Frenzies don't just blindly follow like sheep….how dare someone actually question something they don't like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte