Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM

36 posts, read 53,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
MikeyKid for BOE!!!!
I would certainly support that. Actually, i was going to DM him about that

Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Mikey! Mikey! Mikey! lol

Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Question: will these people's kids not be able to play on the band or sports teams at other schools? Why does it matter how much time parents put in>?
Would you not have put in the time no matter where you kids were from day one?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Re sports: if the are redistricted they can participate. Same with grandfathering. In a normal year if a student doesn't change address but transfers one school to another they have to wait a semester or 2 before playing a sport. This prevents "recruiting". Perhaps there is some confusion?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 PM

31 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I agree... my concern is that it's written poorly if that's what the BOCC intends and could have been worded much better.

I have always felt that the impact was too large and plans should materialize to reduce the number of kids rezoned - yet, all the popular plans and loudest public feedback has been flat against redistricting... period. All or nothing... which ironically pushes the BOE towards exactly what they're fighting with them not to do.

- Reduce the forecast window to 3 years.
- Redistrict substantially less kids, yet still address the immediate cap situations.
- Supplement with trailers in situations where it makes logistical sense, but stay under caps.
- Immediately begin strategic planning to address the potential growth.

Nobody is bringing forth any compromise plans along those lines... In many ways, the voices of compromise are being shut down if a suggestion includes any kid being redistricted. Which to me is utterly ludicrous for a county run school system facing overcrowding with 3 schools capped in 3 different clusters.
This is great MikeyKid. Unfortunately, it is too logical, level headed and incorporates a level of compromise. Basically, you are presenting something that probably the majority of people would get behind, but as we are all learning, it is only those that yell the loudest that get (or are allowed) to be heard.

The major failings of your idea is it does not allow for fancy slogans, bumper stickers, a facebook site, hate mail, threats and intimidation of those that disagree AND it certainly is not an all or nothing proposition. How dare you!

Now excuse me while I pull out my property deed and highlight the sections that say I will stay in the district I started in when I moved for the rest of eternity and my property taxes will never go up so I can present at the next BOE working session with my 98 year old grandmother that can talk about being in the same building from kindergarten through 12th grade.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
haha - thanks for the tongue in cheek vote of confidence there... if my wife can't get me to run for the HOA, I don't think you'll find me on a county ballot any time soon.

I'm honestly saddened that none of these super groups and committees of self professed smart people put any effort into a whiff of a compromise plan, which could have significantly reduced the number of kids redistricted - it was white hats for all, so everyone had to stay in their current cluster. I get it - you don't want to alienate a neighbor by suggesting their neighborhood be redistricted. So, guess what - you are leaving the elected officials to make the difficult decision... and as I sit here watching the public hearings listening to some of the heartfelt pleas, it will be a difficult decision. No doubt.

That said, I can't seem to muster sympathy for how many people continue to talk about "their schools" and "choosing their home based on the school"... it really hurts the others making good arguments and takes the edge off the sadder stories. I just don't understand (maybe I never will) how someone makes one of the largest purchases of their lives and not realize they are buying into a county wide public school system. There's a reason the taxes are a 1/4 of what people pay with town run schools. Maybe there will be less of that after the break...

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Re sports: if the are redistricted they can participate. Same with grandfathering. In a normal year if a student doesn't change address but transfers one school to another they have to wait a semester or 2 before playing a sport. This prevents "recruiting". Perhaps there is some confusion?
Maybe but that was addressed, but breaking up teams doesn't matter to the BOE seems to be a waste of their speaking time

Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM

question: have the elementary schools always had the earliest start time? Or at one point was it the high school?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Wow, I'll be honest. That public hearing was much more emotional than I had prepared myself for. There really were lots of genuine, heart-felt pleas from kids and parents both. I must say that I felt the most sympathy for families who are going on their 3rd or 4th redistrict (I think Rolling Hills came up a few times). And the afterschool programs are certainly a shame, but hopefully they can appeal. There was an awful lot of monotony and whining (which I tried to tune out). But there were some very good points made here and there. More than anything, though, I find it so sad that things have gotten this far. The fact that board members are publicly calling each other out might be the saddest event of the night I think. And was that Pigg who finally laid into Aikmus a bit?!? I couldn't see very well. But I was thankful that someone finally took the damn opportunity to call B-S and redirect the money issue back to where it belongs - the kids. Just heart-breaking. All of it. And for the board members who have NOTHING to say - gosh, I don't agree with that either! What a damn mess. A big H-O-T mess..........

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I just don't understand (maybe I never will) how someone makes one of the largest purchases of their lives and not realize they are buying into a county wide public school system. There's a reason the taxes are a 1/4 of what people pay with town run schools. Maybe there will be less of that after the break...

I agree with you. I don't LIKE it per se, but it is no big secret at all. I get that people have put their blood, sweat, and tears into certain schools. But this is just the way it works sometimes. I'm not sure that there is much of an alternative at this time!!! Money does not grow on trees. And for those who have overextended themselves by "70 thousand dollars" to buy into a certain school, well.... yeah, that speaks for itself. 1) don't spend money you don't have 2) don't expect the BOE to spend money they don't have 3) if you are buying a home AND overextending yourself just for a school "buy-in", at LEAST be smart enough to know that there is the risk of being redistricted. END OF STORY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte