Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM

309 posts, read 765,696 times

Advertisements

Marvin has 3: Marvin ES, Sandy Ridge ES and Rea View.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM

161 posts, read 305,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Marvin has 3: Marvin ES, Sandy Ridge ES and Rea View.
You are correct! Slipped my mind!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 55,541 times
Does anyone know why there was a change of principal at Cuthbertson Middle School yesterday?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM

161 posts, read 305,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbayou View Post
Does anyone know why there was a change of principal at Cuthbertson Middle School yesterday?
I don't know about this but I did hear that a Chemistry Teacher was walked out in the middle of the school day last week as well from Marvin..not sure why.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,587 times
So, is anyone else trying to buy a house in Union County right now? This is ridiculous. Of course there is always going to be redistricting and no promises- I totally get that. It's the charade of the capping which irks me. The schools operate at overcapacity for several years and then they suddenly place the caps to "justify" redistricting? We wanted to buy within Marvin Ridge school district before next year, but now this is going to make us forget Union County altogether. I have a 7th grader and a 4th grader that would be bussed out to Parkwood, while my HS kid goes to Marvin Ridge? I don't think so! I certainly can't buy in any UC town if I don't know what the district boundaries are... each town will bumping the population of the next.. ugh.. why don't they just redistrict right now? You know they have all the numbers, give me a break.

Anywho, question for anyone who has already dealt with UC capping in the past- How long were you capped with new kids being bussed all over? 1 year? 3? 10? How long can they keep it up? Is the current cap just for this year, and they will definitely redistrict by next year? What's the word?

Also, for those of you who have seen it all before, what is the timing of when they announce the redistricting plan (if they are going to)? March, April, May, June? Or do they wait till the day before school opens? Do they at least announce "we will not be redistricting for the year 14/15" by a certain date so we can plan??

Really hard to justify laying out $$$ for a house with this uncertainty! Geesh! Thanks so much for all your info- these posts are invaluable.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
I have a copy of the letter they sent out. Also, there is a facebook page that has been started that contains a lot of the info. The December school board meeting is on the 10th. They are waiting on the McKibbon report to determine when redistricting is needed. The report is being made available at the 12/10 meeting.

https://www.facebook.com/UCPSRezone

This really stinks for everyone. We have several friends that have one in Marvin Elem and another in Marvin Middle. One family has a rising 5th grader that will next year will be bussed across Union to Parkwood when entering 6th grade, while the other sibling gets to stay at Marvin Middle. They paid $875K for their home 8 years ago.

Last edited by Charlottean; 11-20-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Here is from the Union County website: Board of Education Places Enrollment Cap on 3 Schools

From what I understand, as long as the child was already in the elementary school before November 13 then he would go to Marvin Ridge middle.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,587 times
Thank you very much for the dates and all other info! I really hope the Board is transparent and puts a plan together fast- one that hurts the least- no one this day and age needs more stress. I should also say that in light of more and more developments STILL being carved out along all the town borders (I know- building=JOBS!- but at what what price?), they need to make the numbers work for the future not just the present. So ridiculous to keep going thru this. It should be against the law for these developers to make deals in order to claim "our development will go exclusively to such and such schools" when they (and the politicians) know darn well 5 years down the road the subdivision will be redistricted!

So grateful for the info!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanne1776 View Post
So, is anyone else trying to buy a house in Union County right now? This is ridiculous. Of course there is always going to be redistricting and no promises- I totally get that. It's the charade of the capping which irks me. The schools operate at overcapacity for several years and then they suddenly place the caps to "justify" redistricting? We wanted to buy within Marvin Ridge school district before next year, but now this is going to make us forget Union County altogether. I have a 7th grader and a 4th grader that would be bussed out to Parkwood, while my HS kid goes to Marvin Ridge? I don't think so! I certainly can't buy in any UC town if I don't know what the district boundaries are... each town will bumping the population of the next.. ugh.. why don't they just redistrict right now? You know they have all the numbers, give me a break.

Anywho, question for anyone who has already dealt with UC capping in the past- How long were you capped with new kids being bussed all over? 1 year? 3? 10? How long can they keep it up? Is the current cap just for this year, and they will definitely redistrict by next year? What's the word?

Also, for those of you who have seen it all before, what is the timing of when they announce the redistricting plan (if they are going to)? March, April, May, June? Or do they wait till the day before school opens? Do they at least announce "we will not be redistricting for the year 14/15" by a certain date so we can plan??

Really hard to justify laying out $$$ for a house with this uncertainty! Geesh! Thanks so much for all your info- these posts are invaluable.
The caps were enacted because the district had finally gotten the enrollment figures for the current year and those schools were more than 120 percent of capacity. The BOE has said it will be redistricting at the end of the current school year.

I think that people are starting to overreact. Yes, this isn't the best situation in the short term and upheaval through redistricting will have challenges. But Union County is still a great place to live and raise a family. The schools overall -- including Parkwood -- are excellent. And eventually this will be settled.

mod cut: lets keep the discussion on topic please

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-21-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanne1776 View Post
So, is anyone else trying to buy a house in Union County right now? This is ridiculous. Of course there is always going to be redistricting and no promises- I totally get that. It's the charade of the capping which irks me. The schools operate at overcapacity for several years and then they suddenly place the caps to "justify" redistricting?
They didn't "suddenly" decide to place the caps. The schools are in danger of being capped after being at 110% of capacity and get capped once they're at 120%. According to the meeting earlier this month, the caps stay in place until after the schools get back to about 90% (the example that they gave was that a school that is built for 1000 now has almost 1200 would be capped until it got back to 900).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte