Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 AM

172 posts, read 465,641 times

Advertisements

From 2012...This can't be true! How could a Parkwood student accomplish this? LOL...

I only hope that the arrogance displayed by some of the posters to this thread is not passed on to their children. If so, it could be a tough experience in their new school.... I would not want my children uprooted either, but it would not be because I thought they were "better" than the children of the new school, or that our family was more affluent than those families of the new school. Whether intended or not, that is the theme of this thread. It is sickening to see that some adults actually believe in this way.

BTW, there are families in the Piedmont, Forest Hills and Parkwood districts that have more wealth than many of you will ever know. In fact, I bet that you unknowingly support them daily!

Parkwood High student gets perfect score on ACT

Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM

48 posts, read 60,735 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF78...&feature=share

Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 AM

397 posts, read 665,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The majority of the Union County population is against redistricting... this board is probably the very worst place to come for accurate information. There are 3-4 posters, it's obvious who they are, that are either board members, UCPS facilities employees, or are just big fans of 'government knows best' and blindly follow the propaganda machine.

This isn't over and if we stick together we can beat it...

• Several months ago I posted that the new maps were coming and I was told I was just spreading rumors
  • As recent as 10 days ago I said Millbridge was at risk and was told I was just spreading rumors
  • A week ago I said that Wesley Oaks was in the same boat as Millbridge and I was told I was just spreading rumors
I stated all of those things as facts and as it turns out... well, they were true. I don't have all of the 2008 meeting minutes and I don't know all of the board members. But, I do have enough contacts inside UCPS to have been in the know on a few things and to know that it's not a done deal.

The last thing I'll say tonight is this... I said months ago that this wasn't really about enrollment. It's about $'s and test scores. I still stand by that and believe that as a community we can prove that to be the unquestionable motivation.
May we add a few? Concerned parents who do NOT blindly follow anything but are realists about certain situations and try to see the big picture based on facts and numbers and patterns. There are also the "know it alls" and "those in it for themselves" and yes, its obvious who they are as well. I might add that Millbridge and Wesley Oaks are border neighborhoods, so its reasonable to say that my 5th grade son could have figured out that they may be "at risk" for moving. And I assure you he has no inside sources on the school board. I personally HAVE found sound helpful information on this thread, as well as some pseudo-hunger games entertainment as well. And for the record not ALL parents are against redistricting. I think it makes total sense for the most part AT TIMES and I truly don't see it as the end of the world. Anytime there is major change the majority of folks completely panic and think the worst. It shall be the ones who remain calm, eyes open, rational brain processing, that will come out ahead in this situation. And just because there are those of us that try to see the big picture - the ones that takes into consideration the county as a whole (not just our own kids and our own bank accounts) - well, that does not make us "blind followers" as you seem to believe

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
From 2012...This can't be true! How could a Parkwood student accomplish this? LOL...

I only hope that the arrogance displayed by some of the posters to this thread is not passed on to their children. If so, it could be a tough experience in their new school.... I would not want my children uprooted either, but it would not be because I thought they were "better" than the children of the new school, or that our family was more affluent than those families of the new school. Whether intended or not, that is the theme of this thread. It is sickening to see that some adults actually believe in this way.

BTW, there are families in the Piedmont, Forest Hills and Parkwood districts that have more wealth than many of you will ever know. In fact, I bet that you unknowingly support them daily!

Parkwood High student gets perfect score on ACT

I saw this the other day and it made me smile In my experience, the wealthy people who are boastful and arrogant aren't nearly are wealthy as some may believe. My brother is a locksmith and he will tell you that they are the ones NOTORIOUS for having their credit cards declined ;-) I believe that the quiet, more humble folks with wealth aren't about letting everyone else know. So you betcha there is plenty of money out in those areas. They just don't flaunt it.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM

22 posts, read 34,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
With all do respect, have you BEEN to any of the capped schools? They are Kensington Elementary, Marvin Ridge Middle, and Porter Ridge Middle. And YES, that is what happens when a school is at 120% capacity. Why does that sound so unreasonable to you? If anything it should open your eyes a bit! Schools aren't capped just for kicks and giggles. To say that you are "not buying this" only affirms that you are ignorant to the situation and truly do need to "check for yourself" before making insinuations and judgments about other schools. I believe you were the one who mentioned that Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson may be too good for trailers? That these schools would prefer to load "your" school up with trailers instead? W-O-W is all I can say. Please do, check for yourself. We'd appreciate it.
I don't feel that I was disrespectful by simply saying that the information does not sound right to me, so mod cut Hearsay and anecdotes are not data. And although I've admittedly not found a reliable source for student/teacher ratios in the county, sites like greatschools boast an 18:1 ratio, even at these severely and hazardously overcrowded schools. If anyone knows where I can obtain actual data rather than telling me to go to the school myself and take a head count, I'd be interested in reviewing. With all DUE respect, Waxhawmom, I'd like to see data. Not sure why this upsets you to such a degree.

I asked whether or not the middle and high schools at MR and Cuth have trailers. According to everyone, the middle schools do. I accept that. Do the high schools currently have them?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-18-2014 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: stay civil please

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

81 posts, read 182,781 times
Default Looking for information on each neighborhood. Please

I am in a huge rush, but need a HUGE favor.. please...

I believe I recall seeing a post here that listed every neighborhood in Union County and how they will be effected by the redictricting plan.

I cannot find that information.

Can someone please direct me to that post or link that information again?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocula View Post

I believe I recall seeing a post here that listed every neighborhood in Union County and how they will be effected by the redictricting plan.

Thanks
UCPS -Student Reassignment Presentation Materials

All listed out...

Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocula View Post

Thanks

Chocula, go to the Union County Public Schools website. To the left you will see a link for "redistricting information". Click there and then you will see a link for Student Reassignment Presentation Materials (maps, data sheets). Click there and it will bring up all of the "clusters". To see which neighborhoods are CURRENTLY districted to that cluster but are PLANNED to go elsewhere click on the distances spreadsheet for each cluster. That will bring up specific neighborhoods with the distance to current school and distance to new school. If there is not a neighborhood listed then they are not proposing it will be redistricted.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
I don't feel that I was disrespectful by simply saying that the information does not sound right to me, so I'm a little confused by YOUR arrogant tone that is accusing ME of arrogance. Hearsay and anecdotes are not data. And although I've admittedly not found a reliable source for student/teacher ratios in the county, sites like greatschools boast an 18:1 ratio, even at these severely and hazardously overcrowded schools. If anyone knows where I can obtain actual data rather than telling me to go to the school myself and take a head count, I'd be interested in reviewing. With all DUE respect, Waxhawmom, I'd like to see data. Not sure why this upsets you to such a degree.

I asked whether or not the middle and high schools at MR and Cuth have trailers. According to everyone, the middle schools do. I accept that. Do the high schools currently have them?
mod cut So my proposal was merely for you to go straight to the source perhaps? Ask someone at one of these schools, right there in the front office, if what we have shared with you is correct? This is just a thread. I don't get offended. But I do try to speak up when I believe something is incorrect, that's all. Good luck to you.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-18-2014 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: stay civil please

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Trailers are an absolute no when schools are at 120%+ capacity... That is not a safe and healthy learning environment. Not cost effective... etc etc. If trailers are the only viable option presented, I will personally speak to my Board representative and ask them to vote for redistrict.

So please stop arguing over the quality of the data relevant to future years like 2018... we have a problem that needs to be addressed now - the capped schools... and all the schools that are 110%+ capacity and growing. Put aside the arguments over the McKibben report and the sekret plan to bring scores up at the other schools (which btw I thought was their job)... but all that aside, look at the current enrollment numbers - not estimates - look at how close so many schools are to cap and how many are way under cap.

If you are against redistrict, what do you propose they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte