Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM

98 posts, read 165,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
Quite frankly they just need to do and not listen to the MR or Cuthbertson clusters. Truth is people can't stay where they are now.

I know many don't like to move I get it, but something needs to be done in a manner that does not cost too much.

adding: I have 3 kids at MR
I guess that means your ok with all 3 of your kids going to Parkwood? Grade 3 rated as opposed to your grade 10 school? Honestly?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,174,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I guess that means your ok with all 3 of your kids going to Parkwood? Grade 3 rated as opposed to your grade 10 school? Honestly?
MR parents are not OK with any change for their kids what-so-ever.
Parkood would mean most will move or go to private schools, no question about it.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 32,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
MR parents are not OK with any change for their kids what-so-ever.
Parkood would mean most will move or go to private schools, no question about it.
The idea that a new family could move to the Chimneys and see MR from their new backyard and have to go elsewhere is a tough real estate sell and senseless.... but if the property values drop at all they will make up for it by raising the tax rate, a classic move

Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,357,486 times
Quote:
Since you keep repeating this over and over it's probably worth correcting you that Parkwood is rated a 4 on greatschools (and yes, I know that is still below average).

Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM

238 posts, read 568,187 times
Quote:
I don't think they care about distance because state pays for transportation which they don't care about. We live 4.1 miles from Cuthbertson and Parkwood is 14.5 miles away and I'm worried because of all the talk.
Actually transportation does matter. If they drop below a 93% efficiency rating they lose something like 12 million dollars in funding. So they have to take transportation costs into consideration.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM

397 posts, read 665,291 times
Quote:
Seems like since your child is a junior you have nothing to worry about. But the rest of us not in your situation do. End of story. Maybe you should do a little more research and you can find out a lot about Parkwood school system. Like no school spirit to start. Teachers don't go above and beyond for the kids. Yes I see in a post the the kids are the ones taking the tests. But if their scores are low it's up to the "Teachers" to see why students are doing poorly and help them to achieve a better education. That's what we pay taxes for. If anyone of us weren't productive at our job we would be fired period! So there's no reason why teachers shouldn't be productive. Guess it's time to start firing them one by one maybe they would get the hint.

FYI, I have a son in elementary school in addition to my junior in high school. And you say I should do a little more research? With all due respect, I have been living in union county most of my life and I know all about these schools b/c I have gone to them, volunteered in them, had my own kids in them, and been the product of them . Maybe instead of doing all of your "research" from a computer screen and reading the OPINIONS of others second hand on "great schools", you should venture out into the *oh so scary world that is Parkwood middle and high school* and see for yourself how RIDICULOUS you are being. Guess what you'll find? A school with lots of great kids, lots of great teachers, and plenty of school spirit. Shocking, I know. I think it is so unbelievably sad to see grown adults acting so dramatically and irrationally. I get that you want the best for your children and your financial future. But all of the dramatics are not helping a single thing.

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 01-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
cc0789

I've been to several board meetings and they have no transparency. Especially in the latest meetings, closed doors, changing the meeting times at the last minute, hoping it will cause less people to attend. Video equipment conveniently not working...etc. I could go on. It's clear the BOE and Comm are up to no good and what to avoid the public finding out. That is evident. I will make it my mission next election to get people to vote and get these jokers out of office.
Really???? Changing the meeting time from 7pm to 8:30 am last minute, how sneaky, trying to prevent you from attending. Sounds great, continue spreading that around. And you do realize that there are closed parts of the meetings and public parts, right?

BUT, if you are interested in facts, and care to get some basic knowledge before making accusations:

The facilities meeting was ALWAYS scheduled for the 6th at 8:30 am. They ALWAYS meet at 8:30 am. They are ALWAYS open to the public, although not many people EVER care to attend to discuss janitorial and maintenance issues. As a committee meeting, they don't do public comment. Their minutes for at least the last decade are available on their website. The only change that was ever made was location, to ALLOW room for any public that wanted to attend.

The board of commissioners, on the other hand, was scheduled for the 6th in the pm. They still held the meeting on the 6th in the pm.

Only those totally oblivious were in an uproar about the "change" of time, that had nothing to do with a lack of transparency, but rather sadly on public ignorance.

Here is the original email from Rob Jackson announcing the meeting of the facilities committee :

December 13, 2013

MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION

The Union County Board of Education’s Facilities Committee will meet on Monday, January 6, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. in the UCPS Professional Development Center located at 721 Brewer Drive in Monroe.

The committee will discuss the following in open session:

Student Reassignment
CIP Year 1 & Year 2 Discussion
New Town ES Construction Easement Request
WBEC Gym Update

Rob JacksonChief Communications Officer

Last edited by cc0789; 01-08-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM

985 posts, read 1,903,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
FYI, I have a son in elementary school in addition to my junior in high school. And you say I should do a little more research? With all due respect, I have been living in union county most of my life and I know all about these schools b/c I have gone to them, volunteered in them, had my own kids in them, and been the product of them . Maybe instead of doing all of your "research" from a computer screen and reading the OPINIONS of others second hand on "great schools", you should venture out into the *oh so scary world that is Parkwood middle and high school* and see for yourself how RIDICULOUS you are being. Guess what you'll find? A school with lots of great kids, lots of great teachers, and plenty of school spirit. Shocking, I know. I think it is so unbelievably sad to see grown adults acting so dramatically and irrationally. I get that you want the best for your children and your financial future. But all of the dramatics are not helping a single thing.
well said!

no one has even been in the school and talked to the teachers.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

98 posts, read 165,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
FYI I did venture out. I did drive to Parkwood. And yes I have been in that school. Since you are so familiar with Parkwood maybe you can educate me on a few things that I am questioning. Why is Parkwood a grade 4 school. (I was corrected by someone because I heard it was a 3) also why is it ranked in NC #276 ? Cuthbertson by the way is ranked 18 th. Why is the graduation. Rate at 80-85% Cuthbertson is 98% why are the test scores very low (just curious who's responsible for that) and also you don't have to answer but I'll ask. Why did you move where you did if Parkwood was such a great school? I mean you could of saved thousands buying a house right in the Parkwood cluster . And I'm not saying this as sarcasm. I'm merely just trying to see it from someone who has been in that school system. Yeah I read a lot and do a numbers comparison and talk to teachers and local law enforcement for information but now I want to know from a neighbors side.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesprinkles View Post
If the school board approves a redistricting plan for the 2014-15 school year does that mean that the caps will be lifted from the affected schools? Or is it more likely that the caps will stay in place for another year (or more?) Yes, if they redistrict, caps will be lifted.

thanks
Quote:
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 14th at Walter Bicket school in Monroe at 6pm unless they change it like they did the last 2 meetings because they are afraid of most parent being outraged. And I'm dude there will be a lot of angry parents depending on who's affected. There was a meeting this past Monday originally set for 7pm changed to 8:30 am hmmm? Guess it was hard for the working class to get to that one. And it was changed over the weekend. How convenient. Well I hope you and your children find a place to call home without these problems. This is supposed to be a permanent fix so they say.
again, facilities meeting was at 8:30 am, County Commissioners was in the pm. Rumor that there was a change was probably started by someone that has no idea the difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've gone to board meetings and reviewed everything in detail posted on the county sites... I am the one who pointed out that the county maintains a subdivision map which you had no clue existed..
Did I say I didn't know where to find a subdivision map? I said I didn't know where the subdivision was, but informed her of the borders. Contrary to how it may appear by my obsession with beating my head against the wall in these posts, I have better things to do then to pull up a subdivision map, find a subdivision, and compare it to the boundary lines.

Quote:
They have to have more details that they are not sharing and they're playing games switching up meeting times and places last minute to avoid a scene..
since you are so well versed with finding documents online, why don't you review prior Facility Committee minutes from previous months and report back to us what their usual meeting times are? Ignorance and confusion on your part does not equal avoidance on their part.

Quote:
As far as your Elementary comment, I have no clue what you're referring to in the scope of transparency... "common sense" does not equate to public policy and full disclosure. "19 elementary schools are changing" is ludicrous as an idea of being transparent..
They released preliminary information, before the final draft is ready, as they are working on the final draft, but that isn't transparent?? My point is you can see what they are working towards and it is pretty obvious which elementary schools are impacted, as opposed to what you said.

Quote:
This is happening between board meetings by a facilities committee that has shared nothing publicly with regard to HOW they arrived at the proposal to the board.
Again, you are confused. Facilities committee consists of 4 BOE members. UCPS staff (Dr. Ellis, Dr. Web, and their staff) are the ones working on the proposal, as they were instructed to do by the board. Yes, I imagine and hope that they are working on it in between meetings, or else those would be some long meetings. Do you expect to receive a memo everytime someone uses their eraser and redraws a line and ponders the outcome? But they have indeed shared HOW they are arriving at this, if you were at the same meetings as me, you saw the power point presentation and saw the pockets they were trying to relieve and the empty seats they were trying to fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte