Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM

141 posts, read 198,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
You want new schools. I get it. OK... how do you propose they fund it, where will they be built and what subdivisions will you bus, uproot, relocate all those kids to while breaking up their friendships and neighborhoods?

You're going to have to get the BOE to agree, so here's a good opportunity to practice that proposal.

you just blew right over my question….back in the 2007 timeframe, when they built the 2 new clusters, there was still room in other county schools. One of your criteria was all seats have to be filled….but that was clearly not the case back then. so don't stand on the platform of "all county seats have to be filled before new schools are built" when clearly that is not the case….You can always get $$$$ to build, its how they do it in other parts of the country….raise taxes, is one way

Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM

31 posts, read 45,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've tried to find an online resource to confirm these things - tried to do it for Cuthbertson, too. Are you going work of mouth with this list or is something posted somewhere?

There's that new development by Meritage on 12 Mile Creek... Wedd

LFP by Orleans opened a new phase... Wedd

Hollister lots a plenty... Wedd
In my everyday travels I pass a number of these soon-to-be neighborhoods and sales centers, so all I did was go to the builder's website and hit "find a home" with zip code or town name (Waxhaw/Marvin). Many had site plans where lots were numbered or listed the proposed number homes to be built. The Shea addition near Barrington is not listed on their site, but I had read about it when they had public hearings on a shared road thru that neighborhood (last spring). I guess you could always call the sales centers as well and confirm. Some of them are marketing as "coming soon", others as either "spring 2014" or "fall 2014". Most have cleared land and some have homes close to completion. I am aware of building elsewhere but really only focused on those I was more familiar with. There are also a number of lots available in some established neighborhoods as well that would feed to MR.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
you just blew right over my question….back in the 2007 timeframe, when they built the 2 new clusters, there was still room in other county schools. One of your criteria was all seats have to be filled….but that was clearly not the case back then. so don't stand on the platform of "all county seats have to be filled before new schools are built" when clearly that is not the case….You can always get $$$$ to build, its how they do it in other parts of the country….raise taxes, is one way
Thank you for your proposal.

I stated before that those were different BOCC and BOE members and different economic times. I don't know what their rationale was. I'm am not in the camp of "they have to fill every seat." I was trying to articulate that others don't feel that way and might not be prone to support a bond at this time.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Marvin is being impacted since all new MS students are being sent to Parkwood. I know someone in Marvin who lost a potential buyer recently b/c they didn't want to deal with the cap.
Correct me if I am wrong but if the redistricting does take place the caps currently on Marvin subdivisions sending them to Parkwood schools will disappear. I believe there is not one Marvin subdivision that will be going to a Parkwood school if and when redstricting goes into effect. A handful of Marvin subdivisions will shift to Cuthbertson and Weddington schools according to redistricting plans.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but if the redistricting does take place the caps currently on Marvin subdivisions sending them to Parkwood schools will disappear. I believe there is not one Marvin subdivision that will be going to a Parkwood school if and when redstricting goes into effect. A handful of Marvin subdivisions will shift to Cuthbertson and Weddington schools according to redistricting plans.
So are you implying that redistricting is only upsetting to families if its to a lower scoring school??? That families are not affected if they are having to move to Weddington or Cuthbertson??? Hopefully that is not what you are implying...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Mikey, i know we haven't agreed much, but i do agree about the new schools to relieve the Cuthbertson cluster….i find it almost comical that they will consider "Redistricting" for future growth (case in point, CHS will be way under capacity with the plans that Lawson will fill it) but they push back on building new schools for future growth….It would seem apparent that you would need 2 clusters. One in the Porter Ridge area to help alleviate PR and possibly SV and one in the Waxhaw area to possibly help with the Marvin/Cuthbertson issue….iI am sure i will get pounded for suggesting this, so let the comments fly
As comical as it might seem, your Waxhaw commissioners are forcing the BOE's hand. If Waxhaw pulled all those permits tomorrow I bet we'd be having a much different discussion right now. Short of that the BOE has to account for those new homes in their forecasts... and thus appropriately make adjustments year to year (in some cases month to month it's building so fast) to their planning.

Instead of picking apart the message or sound bytes from the BOE, it might be better to get on Waxhaw to slow down... get them on board with a strategic plan with some sort of conditions on building permits (for instance, X lots per year max). Get to the source of your problem.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
LINY...you are absolutely correct. If redistricting occurs, caps are lifted. Your movement (based on current maps) is correct as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember several BOCC candidates running on a "no taxes, no increases" platform. I will research further (unless i loose my job for being on this site so much

Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
So are you implying that redistricting is only upsetting to families if its to a lower scoring school??? That families are not affected if they are having to move to Weddington or Cuthbertson??? Hopefully that is not what you are implying...
I personally know a bunch of families from Marvin and the ones I converse with regularly are not upset in the least at the move except for the travel time. That's just my experience. I was just looking for a clarification to be quite honest. Regarding the redisitricting to a lower scoring school, I thought most on this board was in agreement that the redistricitng would result in lifting scores at the lower performing schools? I think many families are upset by the distance as much as anything. Scores can be lifted and teachers can be "redistricted" as well but distance cannot change. For parents that don't want their children riding school buses the redistricting will cause an increase in money spent on gas per week as well as alter after school plans such as after school choices, religious instruction classes/times and after school classes like dance, art or writing, etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
As comical as it might seem, your Waxhaw commissioners are forcing the BOE's hand. If Waxhaw pulled all those permits tomorrow I bet we'd be having a much different discussion right now. Short of that the BOE has to account for those new homes in their forecasts... and thus appropriately make adjustments year to year (in some cases month to month it's building so fast) to their planning.

Instead of picking apart the message or sound bytes from the BOE, it might be better to get on Waxhaw to slow down... get them on board with a strategic plan with some sort of conditions on building permits (for instance, X lots per year max). Get to the source of your problem.

LOL, "my commissioners"? LOL, they aren't my buddies, we aren't exchanging holiday greetings….but i get your message. I just wonder if it is feasible to think they will stop. there is absolutely no indication that not just waxhaw, but all of the municipalities will slow down or stop. I believe Stallings just came on board with Wesley Chapel in basically denouncing the redistricting, but didn't they in the next breath approve building of 300 additional homes (thats what i heard second hand, so it may be incorrect). Didn't the mayor of marvin say to the effect that development has to somehow be regulated, yet they are developing like crazy in the Marvin area

Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post

Was that only directed to LI or can anyone weigh in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte