Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

you can join the new feature for city data social groups and this one would be of interest to you.
City-Data Forum - NC CUBANS

since the requested information pertains to raleigh forum here is a thread regarding it.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-welcome.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
I sent you the link for the Cuban Meetup site. Details are posted there. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,884 times
there is a new cuban restaurat that just opened, it is called "A Piece of Havana" it opened 3 weeks ago. I went there and it is very good. It is located in South Tryon and Moss Road, the owners are cuban they moved from south FL

Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM

there is one Cuban restaurant that just opened in Charlotte, A Piece of Havana, it is located in South Tryon and Moss Road

Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Glad you liked it here's a post from the SC thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707 View Post
My wife and I went over to try "A Piece of Havana" on hwy 49, across from were Fatz is located. The decor of the place is very fancy and pleasant. The menu is average. Being a long time fan of Cuban Cuisine, I had high expectations of this place. Our waiter came over and was very pleasant. He took our drink order. He then brought out dinner rolls with butter. It should have been an indication of what was to come. In 99.9% of the Cuban restaurants I've been, they always serve tostadas, which is Cuban bread cut in thin slices, buttered and garlic and then toasted on the sandwich press.
We ordered some ham croquettes, as our appetizers. They were not fresh, appeared to have been frozen and the center was pale, they are suppose to be pinkish from the ground up ham. I then order a Cuban Sandwich and my wife ordered the special, Cuban style skirt steak. The Cuban sandwich was lacking, one slice of roast pork, which IMO was more of a deli version pork, rather than real roasted pork. The best part of the meal was my wife's meal. The steak, which was not a skirt steak on this planet, was about an inch thick, round and looked like fillet of eye round. Being an avid barbequer and competitor, I do know my meats. The steak was over cook, skirt steak is usually, served med rare. The rice and black beans had no flavor at all ad they served three burnt sweet plantains.
Overall, I personally will not return to this place, if they even remain open.
This is just my opinion, but I always check this forum for information and have posted many post that have been helpful to others. Judge for yourselves, but be wary. I believe that Carlos' Cafe, in Rock Hill, is 100 times better.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
And here was my post on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I would make that a 1000 times better, yes I may be biased as I go to Carlos cafe reguarly.

I to be fair decided to try the new place as it is nearer to my house.
I guess anybody who's goes there a 2nd time does not know real cuban food.
We did it as a take out (which we do reguarly from Carlos Cafe), we ended up throwing 1/2 the food out it was that bad.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM

hum, I had a difference experience. I went whenthey opened and it was not that good, I agree, but I decided to go back, I am Cuban and they have improved. I had a palomilla and the beans are very good. I also talked to the owners, they were there. they seem to be good people.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan36 View Post
hum, I had a difference experience. I went whenthey opened and it was not that good, I agree, but I decided to go back, I am Cuban and they have improved. I had a palomilla and the beans are very good. I also talked to the owners, they were there. they seem to be good people.
I've been their twice, I will always give it another chance, and I to met the owners very nice from Pinar Del Rio (Western part of the Island for the Geography buffs).

I to had their Pallomilla Bistec and it needed alot of flavoring it was like they have never seen salt.... or Sour Orange or limon or lime, I don't understand if your going to be a Cuban Food Chef learn how to season the meat the right way, I did like the black beans, but the tostones din't even have any mojito on it... their rice is very dry Cuban rice has to nice an moist, like if you put it in a bowl and turn it upside down it should keep its shape.

I like the Bar its a nice touch and a plus with the Domino tables too.... The Decor is very nice, don't like the music that loud specially on a Friday night or Saturday night....when you are trying to have a nice dinner and the TV should face the bar not the dinning are.. I notice that they have a dance floor good Idea, It would have been better to have more tables, It would be nice to establish the restaurant before a night club.

I do think if I would put them up in a competition against Carlos Cafe the cooks at this restaurants would be blown away by our Favorite Mail Carriers and their cooking staff.

I would still try it again but not in the near future, and if I have another get together at my house I would go to Carlos Cafe and have them cater the event again.

I do wish "A Piece of Havana" good luck and I'll be their again in a while, please re-think your cooking staff......

Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,206 times
Default A Piece of Havana a great addition to Charlotte

I got the sense you dont know anything about Cuban food and neither about cuban people, the new Cuban restaurant it's great, the food is excellent and the place and the warm people there makes it even better, we cubans are very united and all I can tell about your comments is that somehow you are trying to hurt their business, I recently met this family, they are awesome, they had some issues when they first open but that's normal for first time business, all I can tell u is that they managed to resolve them and they are now a high end, very elegant and with the most flavorful food, best drinks and a unique atmosphere to relax, their customers loved the place and the food. Everything depend with the eyes and the person that is judging. I personally did not like the food neither the prices of Carlos Cafe, but I am glad you like their food, I think there is room for everybody and only bad people with second intentions. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
Default A Piece of Havana a great addition to Charlotte

I do wish "A Piece of Havana" good luck and I'll be their again in a while, please re-think your cooking staff......

Yudy, I am sorry if you didn't like my comments, I am Cuban and my taste buds don't lie, I could tell you no one is perfect.... but you have to understand that it is only a critic I'm not saying that I hate them and that they should go out of business, their where positive and negative criticism and I would tell the owner because if he believes that the cooking staff is making honest cuban cuisine I would tell the cook that he is wrong.. Just because he is Cuban doesn't and owns a restaurant doesn't mean he is right in flavor... I would tell him go to La Carreta, Versalles, Rio Cristal , Sergio's, Latin American or any mom and pop restaurants in Miami, and taste his and I could tell yo uthat they don't taste the same... I cook at home, and help my mom cook breaded steak... and i could tell you that what I've have had their is not.... to those standards that all i'm saying I brought a couple of friends A Piece of Havana, and they tried the Vaca Frita and the Palomilla and both said not been Cuban or Latino they it needed salt or that Mojito stuff... I ended up putting a ton of Lemon on it to get the flavor that i was looking for... but the other night I there I had Pork Chuncks and i tell you that i really enjoyed them, but two things Rice was Dry and the chunks where to small and/or little of them.

Anything that I'm saying those not reflect on how Nice the Owner and his family are... Its more on the Cooks head more than anything....

Hey I know their is growing pains with starting a business specially a restaurant where the owner is not a cook...

And In my previous posting I said that I would be back and give them as many Chances That I can... I would really like it if they make a successful business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte