Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Overall, most items at Publix are around the same price as Harris Teeter.

Harris Teeter is VERY expensive on everyday items.

For instance, whole fryers at Publix and HT are around 1.49/lb on sale. You can get the same fryers at Walmart for .98/lb (and think Food lion is around the same price)

I am a price snob, and the only reason I shop at HT is to buy the loss leaders...HT, Publix, Food Lion you do NOT shop to find lowest prices (except for certain loss leaders on sale).

Where else are you going to get a dozen eggs for .99/dozen? (which HT runs on sale every couple months)?
I paid .79 a dozen Easter week at Aldi. I paid .74 a dozen at Ingles a couple of weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Publix has a following. There are a lot of transplants around here that had a Publix where they last lived and were excited to have them opening around here. They shop there regardless of the price. It still doesn't mean Publix isn't pricey. People are happy to pay their prices because it's a store they like and are familiar.
Well they have a following because they do a lot of things pretty well - but I agree with you that their prices (particularly their everyday prices) are towards the bottom of the list. They're clean, have good quality products, and have good customer service. Some Food Lions for example (not all) have none of those things. I think Food Lion's everyday prices are lower than Publix, but if price is your main concern you can still do okay at Publix shopping the sales.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:50 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well they have a following because they do a lot of things pretty well - but I agree with you that their prices (particularly their everyday prices) are towards the bottom of the list. They're clean, have good quality products, and have good customer service. Some Food Lions for example (not all) have none of those things. I think Food Lion's everyday prices are lower than Publix, but if price is your main concern you can still do okay at Publix shopping the sales.
Yes, I said that in a later post about the cleanliness and the products. I shop at HT for those reasons because it's a 4 minute drive down the street. I try to mainly shop the sales.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
More prices are down at Bi-Lo, according to a recent relaunch of their low price campaign. And the store employees continue to dance around to the tune of Dolly Parton's 9 to 5. Not sure how well this latest campaign is actually working, as I still think you can find competitive prices at Walmart and Aldi, and even Publix if you shop their sales, particularly on the house brands.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
More prices are down at Bi-Lo, according to a recent relaunch of their low price campaign. And the store employees continue to dance around to the tune of Dolly Parton's 9 to 5. Not sure how well this latest campaign is actually working, as I still think you can find competitive prices at Walmart and Aldi, and even Publix if you shop their sales, particularly on the house brands.
Southeastern Grocers' "Down Down" campaign is working. Five stores, two Bi-Lo stores and three Winn-Dixie stores, in Alabama, Florida, Lousiana, and South Carolina have closed. Several Bi-Lo stores in Florence, Georgetown, and Horry counties in South Carolina are closing. Bi-Lo is speculated to exit the Charlotte area, North Carolina, and northeastern South Carolina completely.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Between the deranged dancers for Bi-Lo & Food Lion's new "how refreshing " slogan, I'd say that neither is getting their money's worth for advertising dollars spent.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Between the deranged dancers for Bi-Lo & Food Lion's new "how refreshing " slogan, I'd say that neither is getting their money's worth for advertising dollars spent.
Bi-Lo and Food Lion's advertising investments are paying off. Closing stores helps them go "down down" in store count and market share. "How refreshing" it is to be liberated by struggling chains.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well it is indeed refreshing that Food Lion has apparently finally ditched that annoying talking lion. If they ever choose to use a namesake lion in their advertising again, then perhaps it should be a cute cartoon version.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Southeastern Grocers' "Down Down" campaign is working. Five stores, two Bi-Lo stores and three Winn-Dixie stores, in Alabama, Florida, Lousiana, and South Carolina have closed. Several Bi-Lo stores in Florence, Georgetown, and Horry counties in South Carolina are closing. Bi-Lo is speculated to exit the Charlotte area, North Carolina, and northeastern South Carolina completely.
I question the long term survival of Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie as Southeastern Grocers continues to close underperforming stores and eventually exit regional markets. Perhaps the real estate could be a potential target for acquisition by Kroger or some other grocer. But I remember my grandmother used to prefer the Winn-Dixie Marketplace stores, but that sort of loyalty has apparently declined in recent years, and replaced by Publix and Harris Teeter.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I question the long term survival of Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie as Southeastern Grocers continues to close underperforming stores and eventually exit regional markets. Perhaps the real estate could be a potential target for acquisition by Kroger or some other grocer. But I remember my grandmother used to prefer the Winn-Dixie Marketplace stores, but that sort of loyalty has apparently declined in recent years, and replaced by Publix and Harris Teeter.
Winn-Dixie's Marketplace stores were Winn-Dixie's opportunity to operate upscale stores. Everything was eventually carried over to ordinary Winn-Dixie stores. This eliminated the need of the Marketplace concept. Bi-Lo took the same approach with Super Bi-Lo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte