Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 PM

316 posts, read 395,390 times

Advertisements

What is going on? Is this just the media making things worse than they really are? Does anyone have inside info - read this article

Charlotte Observer | 01/20/2008 | Police: Crimes not gang-related (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/454535.html - broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
It just matter of time when we suggest places not to move to it often stated west side east side parts of north side of city now it the south side

Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 PM

316 posts, read 395,390 times
great - that is where we are moving - Huntersville doesn't have this yet - I hope they get out of south charlotte before we move there and stay away from the lake!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,130 times
Default crime

It is getting bad in my opinion. I think I rather have it be a gang then random acts...!! Obviously the policemen don't know how to do their job down here unfortunately.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM

38 posts, read 130,091 times
Default Eye opener

As a long-time Charlottean, I've basically dismissed talk or fears that Charlotte has any greater crime problem than other fast-growing, Sunbelt metro areas.

I travel extensively for business in urban areas across US and Europe, and Charlotte by comparison has always been, by my reckoning, a safe place to be at home or out and about.

Random crime in Charlotte in the "old days", it was thought, was relegated to west Charlotte, with some very random incidents of break-in and homicides in other areas, like Myers Park had a few years back. Where I grew up, near where the Harris Y is today, property crimes and some car vandalism by teens was the worse fear one had. Even as east Charlotte has deteriorated, south Charlotte was always "safe."

I've even been willing to look past unpleasant aspects to urban life Charlotte has imported in recent years....such as intersection panhandlers at Tryon and Billy Graham Parkway, and Carowinds Blvd/77 exit. That nonsense reminds me of driving in Broward County, FL or NYC area.

That Providence Country Club neighborhood attempted kidnapping last month, however, was an eye opener for me.

I know a neighbor of the victim, and what happened is chilling. For a man to be merely standing across the street from his home in the early evening, and absolutely randomly have a vehicle pull up, a gun pulled, a kidnap attempted, and a hand-to-hand struggle with the assailant's gun going off...wow. Near the Providence Country Club, nonetheless.

The issue of crime in Charlotte can no longer be immediately dismissed based on what part of town, or neighborhood, you live in.

I find myself now setting the home alarm even during daylight hours when indoors, etc, and taking other precautions.

Unknown whether it's general societal de-evolution, relentless development and population growth of Metrolina, or other factors to blame. I'm not a sociologist. But by one native's observation...crime is definitely getting worse in this area, and there is shrinking safe haven.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
It is getting bad in my opinion. I think I rather have it be a gang then random acts...!! Obviously the policemen don't know how to do their job down here unfortunately.
Just curious MJ, what exactly is it the police should have done in this case that they haven't done?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
Oh, no, MJ !!!!! We don't want gang activity here.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM

249 posts, read 875,188 times
Regardless, it is a growing problem and one that can't be ignored. I live in southwest charlotte and work in south charlotte and have noticed increased criminal activity in both areas. Hopefully this is a place where crime can be discussed objectively, without alarmists or those with blinders on... because the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Some say beware the media, but I quote chris rock when I say "when you walk up to the atm at night and look over your shoulder, its not the media you are looking for." There is always sensationalism in the media, but if it didn't happen they couldn't report it.

I was shocked to learn last week that there was a juvenile arrested for bringing a weapon to my daughter's elementary school last week. I have found the amount of crime here to be quite shocking to tell the truth.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,130 times
Default police

I know some one on the force and they said there just are not a enough cops to go around. We don't even have a police force out where I live..we rely on another town which takes them 35 mins. to show up! That is unheard of! On top of that I think most criminals knoe they will be back on the streets in a day b/c the jails are so crowded down here. I read in the Charlotte mag that it would take three years to process just the people they have in custody now. This is not similiar to other cities at all. I guess the area grew too fast for them to take care of these problems but it is a big issue and I just feel that it is not being handled properly. Even the headlines of that article make it seem like not a big deal..the polcie said not to worry give me a break! ha!

I am know starting to understand why the taxes back in PA were so expensive I guess.

They just don't seem to be on top of their game and I have seen them handle a situation in my neighborhood and they just talked to the men..no warning or nothing.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default No easy answers

Okay. No one is more vigilant than I am, I truly suspect (unless they are certifiably, clinically paranoid )

Media keeps us aware. Sometimes, this awareness makes us feel the situation is imminent, pervasive, continual and aggressive no matter where we live.

Maybe it is a good thing for the public to to get a wake up call - and be reminded that crime can happen anywhere, including upscale neighborhoods and in gated communities. We can become complacent and adapt an attitude that "crime can happen anywhere - but not in my neighborhood!!!!"

The city has grown and with that have also come criminals - and gang activity as well. This is not a phenomenon relegated solely to Mecklenburg County.

I have stated this before and will say it again, at the cost of sounding like a clanging gong . . . it used to be that criminals had the perception that here in the South, we would readily shoot someone who trespassed onto our property, and if not onto our property, certainly into our homes. That created a real hesitancy about breaking into occupied homes.

It appears to me the majority of burglaries are still taking place in homes that are unoccupied at the time of the break in (or in homes where the burglar perceives the homeowner is not home).

Perhaps if a burglars realized that we citizens are armed and will definitely shoot them . . . these crimes would stop. However, I do have real concerns about our neighborhoods becoming the Wild West, w/ homeowners shooting at anything that makes a noise in the night. Still, there is no doubt that the Bad Guys do sport guns.

As far as gang activity . . . I hope this is not being minimized by either LE or the media. I would hate to think that we could be random targets of senseless gang activity, as I don't know how to protect myself against that if they are willing to do such things as kidnap homeowners who are standing outside their houses.

I don't have an answer except to be cautious rather than complacent and be willing to protect our houses if someone w/ bad intentions intrudes our space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte