Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM

111 posts, read 165,462 times

Advertisements

nyxmike- see if the moderator can change the topic. Obviously people are going to continue to make comments based on the op without reading through the thread. Maybe you could head it off. I knew PR was not a country! I find it funny when people comment about their extensive degrees and life experiance. I rarely correct anyone who is positive about everything. I figure life will be their teacher. I just hope I can be there to watch when they learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 36,146 times
For crying out loud, give the kid a break! It's ironic to me that nyxmike's taking offense to a bunch of kids expressing their Southern pride by giving a "****you" hand gesture and flying a flag that conjures up feelings of bigotry and national polarization has inspired so many mature adults (some of whom have Master's in speech pathology from top 10 schools or others who were once debate team co-captains and all sorts of other rubbish) has inspired 17 pages of at times hostile umbrage.

The comparisons to Puerto Ricans, etc are specious, as their flag doesn't have the same historical connotations. Are you offended by the swastika? Why? I'm simply celebrating my Indian heritage with this symbol (it's a sanskrit word, after all)! The answer is because of it's connotation. Nyx's perspective might be a little callow, but that doesn't make it wrong. There are better ways to express Southern pride. Of course, I'm just a physician born and educated in California.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
nyxmike- see if the moderator can change the topic. Obviously people are going to continue to make comments based on the op without reading through the thread. Maybe you could head it off. I knew PR was not a country! I find it funny when people comment about their extensive degrees and life experiance. I rarely correct anyone who is positive about everything. I figure life will be their teacher. I just hope I can be there to watch when they learn.
You know, I think this is a wonderful suggestion - Mike, maybe you should ask Sunny to change the name of your thread to more accurately reflect what you were trying to discuss?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM

68 posts, read 284,221 times
There's more confederate flags in my fiance's old hood in Michigan than there is in my neighborhood in the Gashouse.

Just sayin' is all.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM

217 posts, read 879,099 times
I assume by the the OP's user name, he must be from New York originally. Well I am from NY also (upstate) and I'm not sure if he has ever been to northern NY state, but I've seen Confederate flags on cars and on house windows up there as well. I also see quite a few displayed in my husband's area of Pennsylvania as well. My feelings on the Confederate flag are neutral though. Don't care for it...but I don't feel disgusted by it either. I'm wondering, if it were a group of students from outside of the South, would you feel the same way?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 15,173 times
Default thinking out loud "c:"

so what's the issue other than a red, white, and blue flag with stars. hmmmmmm???? don't that sound like our flag for the US? let them represent that image. Don't judge it because it happened a long time ago. Most kids do that because the like it. Maybe it's a fashion image for the south...............................Or they just don't care about their shoes.....lol...

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
I find it funny when people comment about their extensive degrees and life experiance.
It is 'experience'

Sorry, could not resist.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
nyxmike,

Were these in fact people you went to high school with?
Possibly are you holding a grudge of sorts?
Are you using this single incident of people behaving in a way you do not approve of to base your case of not liking the area in which you live?

If so, IMHO, that is quite shallow.

We all become frustrated, and I have been there to.
I had a low point in college and honestly thought I would never graduate. Depression, job highs and many lows, family health problems, stresses of marriage. You simply wake up and make a new day. Take what you know, and what you can do, and pave your own way. You seem like a smart person, and I really enjoyed our banter, so please do not take anything I said personal. I hope things turn around for you, but it really all starts with attitude.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.

But let us be honest.
One can peruse myspace & facebook and find adolescents doing improper things, freedom allows it.
I am not saying these kids are, but it is not illegal to be an idiot. Yet.
Just remember the famous redneck last words "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I will sum up this disjointed post by saying that I am very glad all this technology was not around when I was a teen!

Last edited by mullman; 02-08-2008 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
So having your children grow up to be rednecks and wave the confederate flag around is ok? Driving a retarded looking car that you need a ladder to get into to drive around in the mud is considered "cool"?
Have you ever been to upstate new york? You wanna talk about rednecks...you have PLENTY an hour outside of NYC!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
So having your children grow up to be rednecks and wave the confederate flag around is ok? Driving a retarded looking car that you need a ladder to get into to drive around in the mud is considered "cool"?
Why are you even living in the south if you are so discusted? I have a good suggestion that only costs around $50. Yes, buy a bus ticket back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte