Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times

Advertisements

Then Huntersville it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 AM

26 posts, read 77,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Then Huntersville it is
I appreciate the comments. It is daunting to just pick up and leave to a new state. I have lived in NYC all my life and leaving family behind to start a new life with my own family is very scary to say the least. I do have an aunt and uncle who live in Cary so I know we will be regualr visitors to their house....I just want a great place to raise my two girls. I know we will be happy in Charlotte. Now the real work begins, getting my house sold. wish me luck and thanks to all who have posted a response.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
There are so many people in your shoes that you should make friends and pick right up where you left from up North.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:08 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
We welcome transplants but we are NOT that accommodating!

Aren't you a transplant from Woodley Park?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 24,403 times
Default Huntersville vs. Ballantyne

My wife and I lived in Huntersville for a month and then moved to Ballantyne, to be able to compare to make the decision, and we we ended buying at ballantyne , and we love the area, plenty of shopping, restaurants and activities. By the way, I sail at Lake Norman.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Ballantyne has a bit more shopping, Huntersville is a bit more Unique. Schools are rated a bit better in the South than in Huntersville, but Huntersville is pretty good, like A and B in the state. They are also opening up a couple new schools in Huntersville. Commute to uptown, where there is a good chance you will be working is between 25 and 45 minutes, depending on how far in you are. It takes me 30 min at 8am and 35 to 40 coming home at 530 (haha sorry that made me laugh as I so rarely leave at 530). Huntersville has two nice shopping areas in Northlake (actually Charlotte but very close) and Birkdale (a few more of the higher end shops) and they are talking about building the Village which will have the Tiffanys and such, but on the other side of 77 (I don't need them). Concord Mills another big shopping area is fairly close as well.

Lakes and outdoor activities are more available in Huntersville, though the Whitewater center is on the NC/SC border (pretty easy to get to on the 77). I don't think you could go wrong in either section.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Ballantyne has a bit more shopping, Huntersville is a bit more Unique. Schools are rated a bit better in the South than in Huntersville, but Huntersville is pretty good, like A and B in the state. They are also opening up a couple new schools in Huntersville. Commute to uptown, where there is a good chance you will be working is between 25 and 45 minutes, depending on how far in you are. It takes me 30 min at 8am and 35 to 40 coming home at 530 (haha sorry that made me laugh as I so rarely leave at 530). Huntersville has two nice shopping areas in Northlake (actually Charlotte but very close) and Birkdale (a few more of the higher end shops) and they are talking about building the Village which will have the Tiffanys and such, but on the other side of 77 (I don't need them). Concord Mills another big shopping area is fairly close as well.

Lakes and outdoor activities are more available in Huntersville, though the Whitewater center is on the NC/SC border (pretty easy to get to on the 77). I don't think you could go wrong in either section.

Actually the Whitewater Rafting Center is off of I85. Though of course you could take I77 to I485 to I85 to get there But it does not sit on the border, it is definitely in NC.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually the Whitewater Rafting Center is off of I85. Though of course you could take I77 to I485 to I85 to get there But it does not sit on the border, it is definitely in NC.
Point taken, I should have been more clear. I just meant if coming from Huntersville, you would take 77 to 85 and close to the border, so no issue getting to it from either location.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Point taken, I should have been more clear. I just meant if coming from Huntersville, you would take 77 to 85 and close to the border, so no issue getting to it from either location.
Actually Whyte, not trying to argue with you, but if you are coming from Huntersville you would get on 85 north of uptown Charlotte and take 85 all the way down to the center - it really isn't near the border at all - it's on the way to Gastonia

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Oh you love to argue with me. I have only been there once, but I could have sworn I took 77 to 85 (which would be 85 north of uptown, but 85 swings away from Huntersville) and 85 towards the airport, which to me is close to the border. Again I come from Texas, so 10 miles from the border is close

Of course all this makes me want to go there. Not sure this helps the OP make his/her decision. But I still think you would be go to go in either of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte