Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 AM

54 posts, read 156,746 times

Advertisements

This is what I want from Charlotte NC:

I want to take my kids to school, go to work, go home for lunch with the wife, go back to work. At night help kids with homework, do a crossword puzzle, watch TV and spend time with wife. Give me a porch and one friendly neighbor.

Weekends: Kids do sports, gymnastics, scouting, camping, Knights AAA Baseball, Bobcats, Panthers, all the stuff in charlotteparent magazine, spend time with other families, play board games, go to church, volunteer for the needy, maybe adopt a little boy, help neighbor with projects. Wife scrapbooks and hangs with other moms. Maybe go to some of the "bad" areas and give a poor black kid some hope about his life. Eat at a nice restaurant every few months, visit beaches and mountains and take 2 vacations a year.

That's all I need and I am HAPPY.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM

674 posts, read 805,087 times
Look, my life is the polar opposite of yours but being single one can participate in sport or social clubs, listen to music, join wine clubs, go to any of the city's half-dozen young professional social functions, go to the whitewater park, the sports events, a hiking trip, a play, museum, concert, listen to live music, go to a local festival (there is at least one a month in the metro), drive to the zoo, take a day trip to a local winery, etc etc etc.

So between your post and mine, we just listed a ton of stuff for singles and marrieds alike!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 AM

39 posts, read 37,109 times
Default I am sure you didn't mean to imply

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayness View Post

I want to take my kids to school, go to work, go home for lunch with the wife, go back to work. At night help kids with homework, do a crossword puzzle, watch TV and spend time with wife. Give me a porch and one friendly neighbor.

Weekends: Kids do sports, gymnastics, scouting, camping, Knights AAA Baseball, Bobcats, Panthers, all the stuff in charlotteparent magazine, spend time with other families, play board games, go to church, volunteer for the needy, maybe adopt a little boy, help neighbor with projects. Wife scrapbooks and hangs with other moms. Maybe go to some of the "bad" areas and give a poor black kid some hope about his life. Eat at a nice restaurant every few months, visit beaches and mountains and take 2 vacations a year.

I am sure you really didn't mean to imply that only black kids live in the "bad" areas? Don't get me wrong...I think it is great that you are instilling an altruistic spirit in your children by teaching them to reach out and give back to others who may not be as fortunate as they are. But your quote implies that there are only black kids in bad areas....I am sure you are aware that there are white, hispanic and other ethnicities that are poor and/or living in "bad" areas. Sorry, not trying to attack you but your quote just jumped right out at me...

Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:

I'm with you 100%- that's the life I've got here in the suburbs of Atlanta, with one exception- there's no "going home for lunch" at the moment, as we're 35 miles from downtown, which is where I work. I'm hoping to change that over the next few years and be working locally, so I'll be able to do the "home for lunch" thing.

Ohh....and I probably won't be adopting any little boys, either.....lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 AM

54 posts, read 156,746 times
Default I was typing fast...

You are right; I was thinking and typing fast. But the point for the thread is that there is a lot to do in Charlotte including helping all at risk youth.

I just wish we could help at risk youth before they get to the point in their lives when no one wants to help them. That seems to be the growing trend.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM

39 posts, read 37,109 times
Default No big deal

Quote:
You are right; I was thinking and typing fast. But the point for the thread is that there is a lot to do in Charlotte including helping all at risk youth.

I just wish we could help at risk youth before they get to the point in their lives when no one wants to help them. That seems to be the growing trend.
like I said, I knew you didn't mean to imply this...Keep teaching your children to give back and not ignore others who are not as fortunate as they are....I think too many just ignore them because they don't live near them so it is easy to do this...anyway, I agree with you. (I know we are totally off topic! LOL!)

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
I'm going to throw my .02 in here!! I moved from Folsom, California to Charlotte 8 months ago. I am single, and I have to say that Charlotte has awesome opportunities. I have no problem at all filling up every Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night with things to do - and Sunday too if I'm not too worn out! I love all the local music here - there are so many talented groups that you can just stumble on and a pretty good variety of venues. And there is such a range - from art galleries, night clubs, dives, museums, festivals, concerts, shows, restaurants that cover the spectrum...

And if you run out in Charlotte itself, there's Asheville, and Greensboro, and all kinds of other wonderful day trips. My recommendation is join a social group. I joined MeetUp, have made some wonderful friends and seen some places (Yadkinville?!!) that would have taken me forever to find on my own. And personally, I haven't found it any harder here to find a date than anywhere else I've tried.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM

58 posts, read 129,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I totally agree with xrayness. Both Charlotte and Raleigh are on the list of Best Cities for Singles in Men's Health and AOL as well as USA Today yearly.

State a specific problem with being single in this city. Otherwise assume it may just be you.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me since I replied to you before, but again, I'm not part of a singles search here. I'm just telling you what I see and hear from other people. It can't ALL "just be them"

And from what little I know about Men's Health, the single men who read it are more often than not looking for... other single men.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
There is so much to do around here as far as arts and entertainment. Just pick up a Creative Loafing and the E&T in Friday's Observer. If you can't find something that peaks your interest, something's wrong. There are also the theatres, museums, historic places, state parks, gardens, etc. I could go on and on. Too me there is no shortage of culture or A&E in this area and a lot more within a couple hours drive.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM

674 posts, read 805,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
I'm not sure if you're talking to me since I replied to you before, but again, I'm not part of a singles search here. I'm just telling you what I see and hear from other people. It can't ALL "just be them"

And from what little I know about Men's Health, the single men who read it are more often than not looking for... other single men.
Well if you are not talking from personal experience and the rest of us are that speaks volumes for the newcomers coming here trying to find some good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte