Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 AM

116 posts, read 417,978 times

Advertisements

Dawn,

We don't have to move. And you do have a point:-) It's also about the "job". But my DH travels back to CA weekly so we could live like this for a while. On top of this we are very happy with our public schools in CA and that's where most children go from our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
Anifani,

Yes, the homes in our price-range in the communities that I have mentioned were too big. We do not wish to have a home bigger than 6,000 sq. Our home is CA is 4,000 sq and we put $200,000 upgrade to the backyard. So If we wish to have the same in NC we would have to make that investment. Most of the homes that we have seen don't have a nice backyard at all in NC. No pool, spa, landscaping etc. So our home in CA (10 minutes from Malibu beach) seems like a good deal. So we would be buying a home at the same price-range that is our current home in CA but still have to make a major investment. Also the exterior of the homes in NC that we have seen is questionable to us. Overall we were not as impressed. Also living in south FL we expected that the communities are going to have a great landscaping and nice walking zones. Many of them like Providence Down South did not seem like that to us. If I remember correctly the club house was right next to a main street. So I would be looking at cars while swimming at the pool? The only community that we were impressed with was Longview in Union county. But the homes in our price-range had really small lots, less than 1/2 acre. The Longview had the quality that we have expected as a community. I mean landscaping, club house, walking zones.

Also note that English is not my native language so my writting skills might to be the best:-)
Julia, I would never have known English is not your native language. Your write very well!

I totally get what you are saying about the whole "outdoor" concept you are describing. If I were buying in the $1M and above price point, I would want a very well landscaped outdoor area, w/ outdoor kitchen as well as pool, spa and well-manicured landscaping details. I like entertaining at home. I would go for less house and more extensive outdoor living in a community w/ greenway walking paths . . . etc.

Marilynsmom mentioned something that I think is central to the discussion. People here join country clubs and end up doing a lot of entertaining/social activities at their clubs - as well as using the pool - so opt out of having a pool at home. That also has a bearing on why we don't see pools as often as one would expect in the over $1M market. Why bother w/ maintaining a pool when you are spending a lot of time on the golf course as well as dining at the CC on the weekends . . . and probably eating there during the week, as well.

All interesting observations . . .

Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Ok, Julia, I have to ask this.....

Are you working with a realtor?
Have you given her a 1.5M price range?

Your realtor may only be showing you a certain area based on your range.

Have you looked at homes say in Sedgefield in Union County (not the one in Meck), Firethorne, or even out of a subdivision all together?

Dawn

Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I personally wouldn't think of spending anything close to 1.5mil in UC... you should be looking directly North (i.e. up towards Mooresville) and South (i.e. into SC towards Ft Mill).

Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't want to mock any particular posts... but the "market is picking up" rhetoric is just flat out sounding desperate. Showings may increase and certainly sales are still happening, but the blanket statements about "things moving or action happening" is basically worthless. It's a hollow statement so many of us who were selling heard over the past 18months - I wish I had a dollar every time my realtor told me about a hot day or lots of action in the neighborhood (all the while getting retarded lowball offers on my sale).

If you're in the NE and priced at circa +/- 2003 values, you will move your house - no ifs, ands, or buts. So, from that perspective you can call the market picking up. Maybe people are giving up chasing the market down so they can actually sell - that was my issue for the longest time... chopping 10-20k off the list price every other month as I chased it down.

When all is said and done, the Fed is helping to keep this afloat with voodoo interest rate magic... I really can't see how that can continue for long. Inflation/recession/etc.

I think this applies at most price points... even the luxury line we seem to be calling 700k+, which really doesn't get you that much in the NE. It's certainly not luxury at that price point up North.
I think the consensus is w/ you, Mikey - I think the luxury market being referred to would be just here in the metro area - and particularly - Union County. ($750,000 up)

Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM

I don't understand your reasoning. I think UC has some really nice areas. Bonds Grove Church Rd. alone has several 4M plus homes on it.

Dawn

Quote:
I personally wouldn't think of spending anything close to 1.5mil in UC... you should be looking directly North (i.e. up towards Mooresville) and South (i.e. into SC towards Ft Mill).

Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I don't understand your reasoning. I think UC has some really nice areas. Bonds Grove Church Rd. alone has several 4M plus homes on it.

Dawn
You can find many places with multi-million dollar homes all around Charlotte. As I said before (and wasn't corrected by anyone), the only luxury you'll find in UC is larger sqft and lot size - which isn't attractive to me. I'd prefer prime Uptown or lake front property for my 1.5mil.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM

It isn't attractive to YOU....that is the key to your statement.

I am not trying to "correct" you, just stating that different folks have different strokes.

The thought of living on no land and seeing inside my neighbor's house all day does not appeal to me at all.

Dawn

Quote:
You can find many places with multi-million dollar homes all around Charlotte. As I said before (and wasn't corrected by anyone), the only luxury you'll find in UC is larger sqft and lot size - which isn't attractive to me. I'd prefer prime Uptown or lake front property for my 1.5mil.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 PM

158 posts, read 411,365 times
I think we all speak from our own agenda on this website. Or we're trying to get an opinion and we get a specific realtor's answer rather than an objective answer. Great thing about the USA is we are all entitled to our own opinion and no-one has to agree with us.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
It isn't attractive to YOU....that is the key to your statement.

I am not trying to "correct" you, just stating that different folks have different strokes.

The thought of living on no land and seeing inside my neighbor's house all day does not appeal to me at all.

Dawn
Dawn - Mikey's got a point though about the lake property. A few CA folks and many people from the North East, are going to miss not being close to water. Charlotte, unlike many big cities its size lacks a riverfront too. It's not exactly a hop, skip and a run to the ocean from Charlotte! I think a few people would be very happy to have a "Frank Lloyd Wright" styled house on the lake instead of a big house in the woods. You're right also tho', that everyone will certainly have their little definition of Paradise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte