Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 18,436 times

Advertisements

I have a theory about this syndrome:

Most people cashed out of the house-poor states they moved from with the idea of having the biggest houses and nicest cars. Then they got here and realized that everybody else had the same idea and that they weren't any better off than the next guy. Disapointment soon set in and they had to find a way to be the Jones. They now have to act like the biggest materialistic snobs on the block to prove that they belong here and to ease their delicate, battered self esteem.

Because it is so beautiful here, I can deal with it. However, it doesn't stop me from wanting to put a car up on blocks in my front yard or advertise our neighborhood as a trailor park on a license plate frame placed firmly on the bumper of my Kia.

Coming from San Diego, I do agree that the display of wealth is way worse here than CA., which surpised me. I think the role of a snob in San Diego is to pretend that you aren't one. I think it's called 'modesty', but I might not remember correctly.

Anyone notice the 'My wine is better than your wine' competition? Or the 'I have the greenest lawn' event? You would think those are the only two issues in the world today.

Man, I need to venture out of the development!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenbaby13 View Post
I have a theory about this syndrome:

Most people cashed out of the house-poor states they moved from with the idea of having the biggest houses and nicest cars. Then they got here and realized that everybody else had the same idea and that they weren't any better off than the next guy. Disapointment soon set in and they had to find a way to be the Jones. They now have to act like the biggest materialistic snobs on the block to prove that they belong here and to ease their delicate, battered self esteem.

Because it is so beautiful here, I can deal with it. However, it doesn't stop me from wanting to put a car up on blocks in my front yard or advertise our neighborhood as a trailor park on a license plate frame placed firmly on the bumper of my Kia.

Coming from San Diego, I do agree that the display of wealth is way worse here than CA., which surpised me. I think the role of a snob in San Diego is to pretend that you aren't one. I think it's called 'modesty', but I might not remember correctly.

Anyone notice the 'My wine is better than your wine' competition? Or the 'I have the greenest lawn' event? You would think those are the only two issues in the world today.

Man, I need to venture out of the development!
Southerners tend to be into reverse snobbery. Well, the older ones, anyway. When everyone likes a wine you serve, the snobbery is in proving who has discovered the cheapest (yet still delightful) wine.

I am so glad I am not 40 and having to feel the pressure of "I have the best xxxx" on the block. I think that attitude is especially hard on kids- trying to raise children who appreciate it takes hard work to buy those extras . . . rather than kids who base their self esteem on keeping up w/ the Jones's kids (or one-upping them).

If you aren't worried about impressing everyone, then you can just relax, enjoy your friends and family . . . and the people who b/cm part of your circle are there b/c they like your company (and maybe your BBQ, LOL).

Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,991,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you aren't worried about impressing everyone, then you can just relax, enjoy your friends and family . . . and the people who b/cm part of your circle are there b/c they like your company (and maybe your BBQ, LOL).
I got over all that oneupmanship growing up in MA where everyone had a BMW. I don't see any obvious displays of wealth in my subdivision. Honestly you'd have to be pretty crazy to display your wealth in a manner that attracts the wrong kind of attention, especially these days.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I got over all that oneupmanship growing up in MA where everyone had a BMW. I don't see any obvious displays of wealth in my subdivision. Honestly you'd have to be pretty crazy to display your wealth in a manner that attracts the wrong kind of attention, especially these days.
Well, I think a lot of the "display of wealth" we see around us is really a display of "credit," Hee Hee. Or maybe I should say . . . "debt."

Conspicuous consumerism is OUT. Think green, think recycling and think "re-purposing." The smart thing to do these days is figure out ways to share un-used items in a neighborhood. For example, do a kids' clothing exchange once a month. List un-used or unwanted items on a forum to exchange or sell at reasonable prices.

Instead of keeping up w/ the Joneses, how about we all start figuring out ways to cut our consumerism and make our dollars stretch.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-27-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 AM

22,390 posts, read 29,512,450 times
Coming from Miami-there is definitely a keeping up with the jones syndrome down there. It's really pathetic and crazy!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,858 times
Join Charlotte Freecycle and see how fun and easy it is to repurpose unused stuff.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM

For some reason I read through this entire thread today and have some comments.
Not everyone who has nice things really cares what other people think. Honestly I could care less.
Sure there are some 'tools' in Porsches driving around, but many can afford to pay cash for, and just enjoy such a transport.
I am an EE/ECE and also love all mechanical things.
Also our kids are in private school, a choice that requires sacrifices in other areas (larger or second home) compared to friends who use the public system.

I am a car guy.
I come from a long line of car guys.
My grandfather lived in the same tiny house his entire life and bought a new car every 1-2 years. He was a mechanic by trade and enjoyed German cars from VW to Porsche. He instilled my passion, and was never a wealthy man by any means, just spent money on the things he enjoyed and never cared what others thought.

IMHO, if you are a car person, there is something special about German cars.
Cars engineered in a country with some roads without speed limits.
Engineers just enjoy fine engineering.
Designers from everything from a $12K stripper VW Golf to a $200K Porsche GT2 know that without a doubt the car will probably be driven WOT (wide open throttle for you non car people) sometime in its life. This leads to a great driver experience at any speed.

Beyond that, having a 20+ yr relationship with two dealers in town, know that many leased cars are leased by companies. In other words, if you own a company, leasing a car is just a vehicle expense. If you run a company, you are foolish not to do so.
Do you have a great idea? Then start a company.

I live in a modest home, shortly paid for, and far from a McMansion, but I do enjoy new, nice cars. Not to be flashy or braggadocio, it is just what I am into.

But if we had San Diego weather my cars would stay in the garage most days and my wife and I would ride two wheeled transport. We both love it!

My point is do not lump everyone in a BMW, or Mercedes, as someone who is an eager status seeker.
Some people are just into cars and make other decisions in their budget to drive such.
You should see my bad haircut, I wear GAP jeans and cheap sunglasses...
At the end of the day I care only about the well-being of my family, not what people think.

Last edited by mullman; 04-27-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
For some reason I read through this entire thread today and have some comments.
Not everyone who has nice things really cares what other people think. Honestly I could care less.
Sure there are some 'tools' in Porsches driving around, but many can afford to pay cash for, and just enjoy such a transport.
I am an EE/ECE and also love all mechanical things.
Also our kids are in private school, a choice that requires sacrifices in other areas (larger or second home) compared to friends who use the public system.

I am a car guy.
I come from a long line of car guys.
My grandfather lived in the same tiny house his entire life and bought a new car every 1-2 years. He was a mechanic by trade and enjoyed German cars from VW to Porsche. He instilled my passion, and was never a wealthy man by any means, just spent money on the things he enjoyed and never cared what others thought.

IMHO, if you are a car person, there is something special about German cars.
Cars engineered in a country with some roads without speed limits.
Engineers just enjoy fine engineering.
Designers from everything from a $12K stripper VW Golf to a $200K Porsche GT2 know that without a doubt the car will probably be driven WOT (wide open throttle for you non car people) sometime in its life. This leads to a great driver experience at any speed.

Beyond that, having a 20+ yr relationship with two dealers in town, know that many leased cars are leased by companies. In other words, if you own a company, leasing a car is just a vehicle expense. If you run a company, you are foolish not to do so.
Do you have a great idea? Then start a company.

I live in a modest home, shortly paid for, and far from a McMansion, but I do enjoy new, nice cars. Not to be flashy or braggadocio, it is just what I am into.

But if we had San Diego weather my cars would stay in the garage most days and my wife and I would ride two wheeled transport. We both love it!

My point is do not lump everyone in a BMW, or Mercedes, as someone who is an eager status seeker.
Some people are just into cars and make other decisions in their budget to drive such.
You should see my bad haircut, I wear GAP jeans and cheap sunglasses...
At the end of the day I care only about the well-being of my family, not what people think.
Totally agree, Mullman. I think what is being referred to is more a lifestyle decision, wh/ is based on trying to "one-up" the neighbors. It is "faux" all the way and instead of just enjoying life, people who engage in this lifestyle stay focused on making sure they have more and better than those around them.

People who have real wealth most often have their own pursuits and interests so even tho they can buy whatever they want, they are not engaging in "copying" others or trying to "show off."

I love German cars myself. I have a 30 y/o 911 (wh/ is a constant money drain and really should be sold, LOL) and a 914 sitting in a barn (someone want to fix it up???) I drive an old Benz wh/ is in such excellent mechanical condition, I just can't let go . . . and yearn for a Boxster or SLK, LOL.

I don't think having a hobby or appreciation for fine things - be it your cars, house, waterford crystal collection or condo at the beach, LOL, means you are trying to keep up w/ the Joneses. I think just purchasing things to "impress" others or give the impression one has more $$ than one actually has is what the posters are talking about . . .

Being wise enuff to decide what is important to your family (such as private school) and being willing to budget in order to do that is not keeping up w/ the Joneses. And making a lot of money is not it, either. It is this faux-wealth thing that is sad - and can lead to children who never learn the virtue of setting goals, budgeting, using money wisely and not basing their self-esteem on what they "own." Extending debt or basing one's life on outward appearances - rather than inner substance - is what makes "keeping up w/ the Joneses" a shallow pursuit.

Having assets and a salary wh/ means one can afford to acquire upscale items is a wholly different matter. Living within one's means if one makes a great salary might include an estate in Myers Park and some luxury vehicles, a second home and private school educations . . . and nothing wrong w/ that. In fact, sounds very nice to me, Hee Hee.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-27-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM

22,390 posts, read 29,512,450 times
Mullman-I think if I hit the lottery, I'd order myself a nice new Buggati or the Saleen S7. I'm a huge car woman myself. I have been into them since I was 13. I've had several sports cars including a CLK 55 with 150 shot of NOS and a stage 4 Lingenfelter Z06.

Right now I'm driving a Murano (PIG) because I figured it was time to grow up but am DYING to get an E55 or the ZR1 but will probably (unfortunately) restrain myself

PS-I took auto mechanics in 12th grade LOL

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
and a 914 sitting in a barn (someone want to fix it up???
I have a side business restoring vintage BMW motorcycles, and a passion for any German stuff.

I have to ask, what do you want for the 914, PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte