Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 AM

999 posts, read 4,656,458 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're looking to expand our concrete patio (looking to add just over 200 sq feet) and would love to get a few quotes from referrals rather than just names from the yellow pages.....anyone out there?
I've called 3 places so far, one person came out, measured and gave a quote. Another won't return my calls (too small a project for them to bother?), and the third insists he has to demolish my one year old 12x 12 existing patio (says would cost the same to demolish it than to work around it ), which he hasn't seen and has no idea where we'd put our HUGE hot tub while he did that.....
So, while I'm somewhat pleased with the one quote I did get, I'd like to talk to a couple more people before deciding to go ahead!
THANKS!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 AM

46 posts, read 211,058 times
I always recommend NARI (National Association of the Remodling Industry) to find good contractors.

NARI - National Association of The Remodeling Industry

Depending on site conditions, I'll bet you get a quote somewhere between $5.00-$7.50 a square foot. BTW, removal of the previous slab wont be needed unless there is some factor of displacement involved. Other than that it would be purely cosmetic. Although without putting my eyes on it, I could be way off base.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply! I def will check out your link.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 AM

249 posts, read 875,743 times
I live in a neighborhood still under construction and was able to get the guys that pour the driveways here to expand my patio. I paid 4.50 sq ft to add 100 ft. I already had a 10x15 (1 year old) and they just poured the pad next to it. The only reason you wouldn't want to do it would be because they will likely be slightly off in color when they dry. I plan to cover mine with a stamped design or acid stain so it didn't matter to me.

How in the world are they going to stay it would be cheaper to destroy what's already there? That would be more labor and concrete is the most expensive part of the job anyways. There's not much labor in just adding a pad. Sounds to me like they just wanted to make it a bigger job.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,991,378 times
I look for my contractors on Angie's List.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I live in a neighborhood still under construction and was able to get the guys that pour the driveways here to expand my patio. I paid 4.50 sq ft to add 100 ft. I already had a 10x15 (1 year old) and they just poured the pad next to it. The only reason you wouldn't want to do it would be because they will likely be slightly off in color when they dry. I plan to cover mine with a stamped design or acid stain so it didn't matter to me.
Did you just approach them as they did a job or did you take down the name from the concrete truck? They're still building on the streets adjacent to mine so I could possibly do the same thing.
The quotes I received were between 7.20 and 8.65/sq foot which seemed high to me. I was figuring around $5 would be more reasonable. I'll keep looking! I was going to probably stain mine as well, so a slight color difference won't show much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
How in the world are they going to stay it would be cheaper to destroy what's already there? That would be more labor and concrete is the most expensive part of the job anyways. There's not much labor in just adding a pad. Sounds to me like they just wanted to make it a bigger job.
No kidding...crazy, why would I destroy a perfectly sound, NEW patio? Just to make him more money and to MAKE garbage? Not only would they have to break it up but then haul it to a dumpster and haul it away.......

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times
Good post..We are interested in doing the same so please keep us updated on what you decided to do. We will also have the 12x12 patio

Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Default A true southern gentleman!

This guy was so nice and knowledgeable (and his price was very competitive): Flynn Landscape & Irrigation Company (704-436-2699).
We didn't use him b/c we decided to put in a screened in porch instead. But his portfolio was very impressive.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Did you just approach them as they did a job or did you take down the name from the concrete truck? They're still building on the streets adjacent to mine so I could possibly do the same thing.
You can try approaching them, perhaps the driver would be the most helpful. No offense to anyone, but the laborers don't always speak english. Otherwise, you can contact either the builder or warranty rep for the community... they usually like to refer their crews (i'm sure they get a kickback). The other nice thing about this is you already know the quality of work you will be getting because they were probably the guys that poured what you already have.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Btw, I think 7.20 sq ft is way too high. You can get a nice stamped/colored patio for that price. I even had a guy who would do the work for 3.50 sq ft but he had a 1k minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte