Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times

Advertisements

Don't no soliciting signs work?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Unfortunately, no, b/c we don't have "no solicitation" ordinances around here. There was a thread a while back on this subject . . . b/c I personally feel having an ordinance re: solicitors would make it easier for police to keep the criminals away from our homes.

All the ordinances I have seen/read clearly allow some solicitors - there are guidelines - be it a requirement for a permit to go door-to-door, or a clause in the ordinance that allows certain groups, such as political candidates, to go door-to-door. In addition, some ordinances recognize that if the homeowner has posted a sign at the house's entrance advising "no solicitors" - then even a person w/ a permit is violating the ordinance if he/she knocks on the door.

So there are ways to have an ordinance that still allows for such things as Scouts selling cookies or popcorn, etc.

Why we don't have one - no clue. I wrote the City Manager's office as well as the DA's office and did not get a reply back from EITHER ONE on this issue. That really went over well w/ me. I guess to get an answer, one has to send a certified letter or get an appointment to talk to someone directly.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-19-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
The fun part was living in Berewick where they had the teeny tiny "No Soliciting" sign posted at one of the entrances yet the HOA required an "ad tube" to be mounted under your mail box for advertisement stuffers. I was told I was not allowed to remove it or close thefont of it...otherwise I'd be cited by theHOA. Go figure.

Our new house has one too. I didn't get around to taking it off the mail box (no HOA to stop me this time--mwahaha), so now a Wren calls it home with it's nest. I figured I'll leave it through the season so I can have my attack bird fly at the face of the solicitors. It's worked a few times already!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The fun part was living in Berewick where they had the teeny tiny "No Soliciting" sign posted at one of the entrances yet the HOA required an "ad tube" to be mounted under your mail box for advertisement stuffers. I was told I was not allowed to remove it or close thefont of it...otherwise I'd be cited by theHOA. Go figure.

Our new house has one too. I didn't get around to taking it off the mail box (no HOA to stop me this time--mwahaha), so now a Wren calls it home with it's nest. I figured I'll leave it through the season so I can have my attack bird fly at the face of the solicitors. It's worked a few times already!
Hee Hee Hee. Attack bird. I love it. Maybe I can encourage nesting behavior in my "tube" LOL!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Or you could modify the tube to squirt.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 PM

250 posts, read 529,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Not when the eh, socio-economic group doing the "soliciting" (which is nothing more than casing the place) can't read!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Not when the eh, socio-economic group doing the "soliciting" (which is nothing more than casing the place) can't read!
The sad thing is . . . some of these thugs know they are being watched and they don't necessarily look like thugs!!! I also think that they may use vans w/ signs on the side. Just my theory - making it look like they are legit workers. Of course, we also know they steal expensive SUVs so neighbors won't think anything suspicious is going on when they see a Lexus parked in someone's driveway! Pretty disheartening.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The sad thing is . . . some of these thugs know they are being watched and they don't necessarily look like thugs!!! I also think that they may use vans w/ signs on the side. Just my theory - making it look like they are legit workers. Of course, we also know they steal expensive SUVs so neighbors won't think anything suspicious is going on when they see a Lexus parked in someone's driveway! Pretty disheartening.
Ani...As I just read this thread...one thing that stuck out was that after this strange person disappeared from your doorway you went outside to look for where he went off to...What went thru mind reading your post was What if he was waiting in bushes or on the side of your home when you stepped out and caused you harm!!! It's terrible to have to be so suspicious of something or someone on your own property but do be careful..just in case!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,827 times
Oh I just cant stand them!!!!! Cant the government outlaw it?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie25 View Post
Oh I just cant stand them!!!!! Cant the government outlaw it?
I dont know if it would impead on constitutional rights or not but here in Huntersville, NC they do require a pricey permit to solicit.
Even girl scouts, boy scouts must show a permit if asked but they get free ones and other non profit agencies.

In seven years of the very few door to door people. I have had only one person show me their permit.
I cant remember what I said to him but the fact he had one threw me off guard because I really didnt have a come back for those with permits lol.

I would say I average 3 solicitors a year and they should have a car in seeing distance for me to even open the door. I should hang out of the window above the door a bucket of water with a string I could pull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte