Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times

Advertisements

What's going on with all the crime? It certainly seems to be on the rise! Little scary. At least 5 homes in my neighborhood have been broken into in BROAD DAYLIGHT! At least one of them was on the news too. Stole the garage door opener and just helped themselves.

I'm at home by myself during the day and I'm a little freaked out. I've been keeping a loaded gun in my desk drawer when I'm on the computer.

Is Charlotte going to become like Atlanta? Huge economic growth and then....well you know Atlanta isn't all that safe anymore

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 04:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I hope not, but I've wondered the same thing for years.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What's going on with all the crime? It certainly seems to be on the rise! Little scary. At least 5 homes in my neighborhood have been broken into in BROAD DAYLIGHT! At least one of them was on the news too. Stole the garage door opener and just helped themselves.

I'm at home by myself during the day and I'm a little freaked out. I've been keeping a loaded gun in my desk drawer when I'm on the computer.

Is Charlotte going to become like Atlanta? Huge economic growth and then....well you know Atlanta isn't all that safe anymore

What are your thoughts on this?

Thread after thread been discussing this issue, perhaps youv'e been off and haven't seen them?

How do YOU protect yourself?

Crime spikes in Charlotte

Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Yes, actually I have. sorry! Just don't respond to it then.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 31,526 times
It's a little scary, given I have a bunch of family in Charlotte. Houston's had some crime issues as well. I only dare live in condos now, where the only way in is a solid wooden door. This interesting article mentions Charlotte by name:

The Next Slum?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirous View Post
It's a little scary, given I have a bunch of family in Charlotte. Houston's had some crime issues as well. I only dare live in condos now, where the only way in is a solid wooden door. This interesting article mentions Charlotte by name:

The Next Slum?
Your link didn't work. I suspect it made reference to some of our starter neightborhoods where people were allowed to buy who really didn't qualify to buy and are now all being foreclosed on. This is happening in a handful of places in Charlotte, and those neighborhoods are seeing problems with crime. However, the vast majority of Charlotte is very nice and in no danger of becoming a "slum" at all.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Atlanta used to be really nice too.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,168 times
Property crimes are up all over the country. I hear it has to do with better channels for re-sale of stolen property having opened up recently. Apparently stolen stuff was hard to sell in recent years, and not it's not. I don't know why. Anyone else have any more info on this?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 PM

My theory is all kinds of people w/ money are moving in and the thugs are taking advantage of all the good new stuff they can steal. They done already robbed all the people in their neighborhoods!

What about the cretins that killed that poor dog the other day? Blew his head off w/ a shotgun so they could rob these peoples home.

Brazen. Broad daylight once again! The neighbors saw three men w/ shotguns break into the house.

This is NOT just a normal crime rate. This is a real problem IMO. They need to lock these thugs up. This slap on a wrist home detention stuff is a JOKE!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM

11 posts, read 31,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your link didn't work. I suspect it made reference to some of our starter neightborhoods where people were allowed to buy who really didn't qualify to buy and are now all being foreclosed on. This is happening in a handful of places in Charlotte, and those neighborhoods are seeing problems with crime. However, the vast majority of Charlotte is very nice and in no danger of becoming a "slum" at all.
Doh, that was my first post, and links seem to act funny here.

The Next Slum?

I may be relocating to Charlotte myself in the near future. The big two banks are in poor shape, but there's still a lot of opportunity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte