Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times

Advertisements

I heard this conversation on NPR today and thought it very interesting.

The story's premise is that small and mid size cities (Charlotte included) an increase in crime can be correlated to the distribution of Section 8 vouchers. No doubt this could be a very unpopular/controversial idea.

Two researchers who happen to be married were both studying different topics and realized they were examining the same parts of Memphis, TN. They found a pattern when they compared their data.

True to life here in CLT, the conversation detailed how crime is happening more widely in the suburbs.

1)Do you think Section 8 vouchers play a role in Charlotte's so called crime wave?

2) What other factors might be influential?

Here is a link to the Atlantic Monthly article and the audio interview from today's show.

American Murder Mystery

WBUR: Here and Now with Robin Young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Absolutely! Anytime people thrive off of government hand outs, crime is gonna be rampant. This isn't to say that all people in Section 8 housing are criminals, but with poverty comes crime. In Charlotte specifically, crime follows the poverty-just take a look at the north, east, and west sides of inner Charlotte.

There are not enough efforts to get these people off government dependence. It's a cycle that you have to ask yourself if certain types in government want these people to be dependent. Certainly, many and mostly to the left depend on these people being dependent to get the votes. But this sort of thing has to change. More restrictions need to be set in place to ween these people off government dependence.

Not only is the system parasitic in nature, but it only serves to make us all that much more at risk to becoming a victim of a crime.

This should make for some interesting discussion, great thread!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

1)Do you think Section 8 vouchers play a role in Charlotte's so called crime wave?

Here is a link to the Atlantic Monthly article and the audio interview from today's show.

American Murder Mystery

I think that some of the people themselves are hard working honest folks but their family is the one that causes problems. I have seen grandmas with horrendous grandsons committing crimes and bringing gangs in to the grama's home.

Then there are people who scam the system as they make their money the illegal way and obtain government help based on no "legal" income. Their illegal activities also raise crime in the area they are using their Sec 8 vouchers.

Lastly, landlords that take sec 8 often own in less than desirable areas which are crime ridden already. So it is a coincidence that there are alot of section 8 renters there.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Good points, Charlottan and CG!! I think you two have basically expressed my thoughts. And as you both said - not all Sec. 8 renters are thugs - some are elderly, some are disabled . . . but if you look at the hotspots that CMPD has noted for crime in CLT . . . and you do some checking . . . there IS a correlation.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

The story's premise is that small and mid size cities (Charlotte included) an increase in crime can be correlated to the distribution of Section 8 vouchers. No doubt this could be a very unpopular/controversial idea.

Two researchers who happen to be married were both studying different topics and realized they were examining the same parts of Memphis, TN. They found a pattern when they compared their data.

True to life here in CLT, the conversation detailed how crime is happening more widely in the suburbs.

American Murder Mystery

This is a great article! Long, but very enlightening. Really gives you something to think about, in relation to the migration of crime both from city to city, as well as within a city itself.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I agree with what everyone has posted. They are not all bad apples but a majority is..

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
All I know is that I have owned/driven cars that were total pieces of junk compared to the what I have seen in the parking lot of the low income housing behind the Exxon (across from the Carriage Club).

In other words, I do not like to think that someone is getting a break on housing (courtesy of, well, us), and then go get a quite nice slightly used car. Personally if I was living there I would be saving and riding the bus, trying to get out as quick as I could. Sorry, but that really makes me mad.

FWIW when I lived on Sharonview (mid 80's) someone living in that project stole my motorcycle from the garage in the 15 minutes per morning it was open. A few days after filing a report, I drove around the general area until I found it (parked at the project), then called the police. I informed the dispatcher that I located my stolen motorcycle and I was going to take possession of it. They told me that would be impossible and that I could not do such a thing, so I hung up the phone. Fifteen minutes later, a policeman met me at the project and helped me load the bike.

Last edited by mullman; 07-09-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
All I know is that I have owned/driven cars that were total pieces of junk compared to the what I have seen in the parking lot of the low income housing behind the Exxon (across from the Carriage Club).

In other words, I do not like to think that someone is getting a break on housing (courtesy of, well, us), and then go get a quite nice slightly used car. Personally if I was living there I would be saving and riding the bus, trying to get out as quick as I could. Sorry, but that really makes me mad.

FWIW when I lived on Sharonview (mid 80's) someone living in that project stole my motorcycle from the garage in the 15 minutes per morning it was open. A few days after filing a report, I drove around the general area until I found it (parked at the project), then called the police. I informed the dispatcher that I located my stolen motorcycle and I was going to take possession of it. They told me that would be impossible and that I could not do such a thing, so I hung up the phone. Fifteen minutes later, a policeman met me at the project and helped me load the bike.
Well, how about the girl my wife works with who is getting daycare support by DSS, but shows up to work with a brand new tattoo??

Like I said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, these people buy the latest Nikes, biggest plasmas, gold and platinum jewelry (not to mention grillz-for those of you don't know that means bling bling on the teeth), Ipods, cell phones, and 20 inch rims on the hoopty ride, yet they show up weekly to the health department for free services, collect their gov't checks and food stamps, and get free housing all the same.

Now tell me how this system is working for the poor class besides letting them live a free life?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
Well another problem which I believe Carolina Guy was making is the kids who grew up in the Section 8 and now have become adults. They are life long vouchers and have no reason to get of the help.

I have rented to some section8 people plenty of times in the past and my numbers are 50/50. The thing is as a landlord you have to report the wrong doing of the tenant to the housing authority in order for them to be questioned and possibly kicked out of the program. How often it happens I do not know but I refuse to keep up someone that truly does not deserve it as there are others out there who could honestly use the help....

Until they are forced to work a program that will make them self dependant then whats the point? I could use an extra $900 a month for nothing too!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
I've posted info about that Atlantic Monthly story in another thread and was so glad to hear NPR discuss this today. Section 8 originally started out with hand-picked residents to start the program. It was an initial success. But now that anyone can be in the program, it has lead to the creation of mini-suburban slums. If a few houses in ritzy Myers Park were subdivided into Section 8 apartments, within twenty years, the entire area would be a giant slum. What was once hailed as a solution to high-rise urban blight, is now rearing its ugly head in what used to be nice middle-class areas. Another "bright idea" with poorly thought-out consequences. The South Bronx and the denizens of "The Wire" along with MS-13 coming to a run-down subdivision (read: "Rent to Own" & "Section 8 Welcome") near you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte