Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,773 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm turning a page in my life by turning 30 in December.

lol...we're looking to go somewhere to celebrate and would like your suggestions.

We're looking to travel 3rd week of December, or through New Years and fly out of Charlotte. January is an option too, just trying to utilize holidays and stick close to my December b-day.

If you could go anywhere in the Western Hemisphere for 4 nights, where would it be? I'm looking for uniqueness, not your typical Bahama Cruise or Jamaica. We've been to Costa Rica (unique) and Cancun (not unique) and may even consider Aruba. Will probably want to stay below $3000.

We love adventure, but pampering too. Can be hot or cold, sand or snow, land or sea. Remember we only have 4 nights and 5 days, so minimizing travel times is important too (i.e. no 5 hour car rides after a 5 hour plane ride).

Let's hear your spots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,950 times
I haven't been, but from the stories my friend tells me, Lima, Peru is a heck of a destination that's still affordable. Airfare might be a little much, but there is a resort that is on the coast and caters towards the English speaking. From there you can do any number of things, isn't macchu pichu there?

All I know is I'll be making a trip down there at some point in my lifetime. If I can get a hold of my buddy, I'll see if he can get me the details on the resort there. Although I'm sure if you search the travel sites on the net you'll be able to find it quicker than me.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Ok, I'm turning a page in my life by turning 30 in December.

lol...we're looking to go somewhere to celebrate and would like your suggestions.

We're looking to travel 3rd week of December, or through New Years and fly out of Charlotte. January is an option too, just trying to utilize holidays and stick close to my December b-day.

If you could go anywhere in the Western Hemisphere for 4 nights, where would it be? I'm looking for uniqueness, not your typical Bahama Cruise or Jamaica. We've been to Costa Rica (unique) and Cancun (not unique) and may even consider Aruba. Will probably want to stay below $3000.

We love adventure, but pampering too. Can be hot or cold, sand or snow, land or sea. Remember we only have 4 nights and 5 days, so minimizing travel times is important too (i.e. no 5 hour car rides after a 5 hour plane ride).

Let's hear your spots!

I would consider one of the islands in the Bahamas myself - one of those you fly to Nausau or Grand Bahama and then take a boat to. This is such a quick nonstop flight (2 hours) that you would not waste much time traveling. I have Cat Island on my list of places to go

Find Resorts and Hotels on Cat Island | The Out Islands of the Bahamas

Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
I haven't been, but from the stories my friend tells me, Lima, Peru is a heck of a destination that's still affordable. Airfare might be a little much, but there is a resort that is on the coast and caters towards the English speaking. From there you can do any number of things, isn't macchu pichu there?

All I know is I'll be making a trip down there at some point in my lifetime. If I can get a hold of my buddy, I'll see if he can get me the details on the resort there. Although I'm sure if you search the travel sites on the net you'll be able to find it quicker than me.
Ok, thanks...I'll definitely check it out!

Wanted to add also that we'd be open to go somewhere that had a cool event. For instance, we are dying to see Rusted Root in concert and would probably schedule a vacation around a show, but they only have dates through October.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,498,662 times
Though I have not been to Aruba, I have been to her sister island, Curacao (for work, once upon a time!). It was a beautiful island and is slightly off the beaten path. I believe my total flight time, including a layover in Miami from DC, was 6 hours.

There are beach front hotels as well as smaller hotels scattered throughout the island. I would have LOVED more time to spend exploring the capital city of Willemstad, but like I said, I was there to work at a conference.

The people we met there were extraordinarily open and friendly. One taxi driver gave us a tip for the best seafood restaurant I ever ate in. He warned us not to be in a rush though... after taking your order, the restaurant staff goes out to the beach and catches a fresh fish for you! It was just a wonderful meal.

I've always wanted to go back there - if you decide on Curacao, can I live vicariously through you?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,950 times
Just called my bud b/c it was annoying me. But he said that the place I remembered is actually not a resort, but a tourist town called Cuzco. But he said he's sure that there are resorts there that you'd enjoy.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 PM

392 posts, read 1,184,342 times
CG, for someone like you, I would recommend Memphis and the Delta if you have not already been. Suits that amount of money and time. Do note, not talking Beale St. per se. Absolutely no experience like it if you really love American music. Pamper self at the Peabody then head down to Clarksdale, MS. I can hook you up with some cool places and cool people to check out. If you decide you are interested just let me know.

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 07-30-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,972,565 times
Anchorage, AK

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,580 times
If it were me...I would go to the Seychelles archipelago . From what I have been told, its just what the site claims " another world".

About Seychelles

Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,580 times
Nevermind... i just reread you post, I must have missed the part about minimal travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte