Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
The number of HT's are crazy...the sad thing is they are all just the same...LOL. Also, what is up w/ the massive number of CVS's popping up all over!!
Seriously...I don't really even need one CVS, let alone one on every corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well, another store in Indian Trail bites the dust.

The bagel/deli place next to Sun Valley Cafe is done.

I'm po'd....he was a good guy w/vg bagels and sandwiches...
True, Marc was a good guy and had good product. He said he was busy on the weekends, but during the week not so much. I know that he put a lot of time and effort into getting things up an running too....Shame.

I also see the guy across the street is still looking for some $$ to get Muggs open. He's posting regularly on Craigslist. Anyone wanting to open a bar and grill should look him up.

Also Java's Brewing Bakery Cafe has replaced Harry and Deans at Hwy16 and New Town Rds. I met the owners the other day. Nice folks, she does all the baking from scratch in a real tiny kitchen space. They need to work on the their coffee but overall an improvement over H&D.

Lets get out and support these independents during this rough time.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I also see the guy across the street is still looking for some $$ to get Muggs open. He's posting regularly on Craigslist. Anyone wanting to open a bar and grill should look him up.

Jlat, I heard that the owner of Muggs royally screwed himself and like you said needs a ton of $$ to open up the place....

its a shame...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Jlat, I heard that the owner of Muggs royally screwed himself and like you said needs a ton of $$ to open up the place....

its a shame...
Bummer, could use a new spot to drop into. I knew he had a pretty strong culinary background, but didn't know what he knew about the business end.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,590 times
This economy is really scary! Unfortunately...it looks like it's going to get much worse. The economy is in a free fall right now. Layoffs are ridiculous....hirings have slowed tremendously. Nobody has extra money right now ...too many people are in debt and can't pay bills due to economic times. The government gives 700 Billion to the banks and the banks will not assist people in trouble. I hate to be a member of the "doom and gloom club" but nobody is helping the middle class which is being completely decimated by what is going on with the economy. WE ARE IN TROUBLE!

I look at Charlotte and I see tons of people looking for jobs and only 2 pages of help wanted ads in the Sunday Observer. Businesses failing all over the place and not many jobs being created. Where's the end???

This "bailout" is an utter disgrace and failure. I would have rather seen 700B go to taxpayers to spend as they wish (pay debt...make purchases...etc). than give it to banks which in turn buy other banks, lay off 1000's and pay huge $$$ to CEO's who make poor business decision and waste tons of $$$ on frivolous corporate crap however, still expect people with no jobs and income to pay CC bills, mortgages, etc.

I feel for all these people being affected by whats going on right now (my wife too has gotten laid off recently). The Small business owners who help keep our economy running just can't make it and are closing at an alarming rate. I can't help but feel that things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Thats all that's left, thats a shame as the Carmel Commons one was the closest to my house.
Re: Boston Market

I just dined at the Boston Market on Independence and asked about the location at Carmel Commons. The manager onsite used to manage the one at CC. He said that McDonalds actually owned that store (I had no idea) and decided to close it, and build a McDonalds on the site. No kidding. He said the three Boston Markets in town are doing quite well between catering, take-out and dine-in and there are no plans for any to close and/or relocate.

There is already a McDs at the Arboretum, and one on 51 near Park Rd Extension, and now there will also be one at Carmel Commons.
That is 3 McDonalds in 5 freaking miles along Hwy 51 in SE Charlotte. No wonder America is so fat.

Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I feel for all these people being affected by whats going on right now (my wife too has gotten laid off recently). The Small business owners who help keep our economy running just can't make it and are closing at an alarming rate. I can't help but feel that things are going to get much worse before they get better.
+1

Unfortunately I agree 100%....

Last edited by mullman; 01-21-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Don't forget the Burger King on Park Rd near Lowe's & the Jack in the Box next to where Boston Market used to be.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

144 posts, read 404,044 times
The Bi-Lo on Independence closed in November. A lot of places including my job are on a hiring freeze right now. My boyfriends work had a hiring freeze and a freeze on raises for a while.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
Not to go OT, but as far as McDonalds goes, (especially if you want to look at it in regards to restaurant closings in this economy), McDonalds is in the real estate business so much more than the hamburger business! There's one on every street corner it seems, but think about what kind of locations McDonalds owns- prime spots, high dollar business lots. If they quit selling burgers tomorrow McDonalds is still worth many billions.

(And I don't like anything on their menu except for their apple dippers and plain vanilla ice cream!)

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
Not to go OT, but as far as McDonalds goes, (especially if you want to look at it in regards to restaurant closings in this economy), McDonalds is in the real estate business so much more than the hamburger business! There's one on every street corner it seems, but think about what kind of locations McDonalds owns- prime spots, high dollar business lots. If they quit selling burgers tomorrow McDonalds is still worth many billions.

(And I don't like anything on their menu except for their apple dippers and plain vanilla ice cream!)
They are also look for property that is very close to high schools. Which makes sense with the Carmel Commons property across from Catholic High. The Indian Trail store that just opened up, is about 500 yds from Sun Valley and the one coming in Wesley Chapel will be about a mile from Weddington HS. The Ronnies ain't dumb, they follow the quick $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte