Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM

43 posts, read 125,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Thursday February 15, 8:00 pm ET

BET.com Announces New Research That Ranks Charlotte, NC #1 'Best City' with Columbus, Ohio and Washington, D.C. Tied for 2nd

WASHINGTON, Feb. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- BET.com announced today the results of a multi-city research project to determine the Best Cities in America for Black Families. Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070215/dcth062.html?.v=61 (broken link)
Would you send me any information on relocating to Charlotte? I currently live in Fl, and I am a woman of color, single, no children with finishing up a graduate degree. I am looking to relocate in July 08. I am a special education teacher and I am in need of something different. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM

245 posts, read 881,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovefla View Post
Would you send me any information on relocating to Charlotte? I currently live in Fl, and I am a woman of color, single, no children with finishing up a graduate degree. I am looking to relocate in July 08. I am a special education teacher and I am in need of something different. Any help would be appreciated.

This whole forum is based on relocation stuff...my first suggestion would be to order the Living Here Guide from charlotte.com

it will cost a total of $5 to buy and ship - good luck!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times
Cool Moving from West Palm Beach, FL TO Charlotte, NC

I am very glad to hear that BET has given it's stamp of approval for Charlotte {but wait is that a good thing, considering it's programming). I am a black female, that is moving with my husband and 3 children in the summer of 08. Right now I am just researching the different areas. We have visited twice now and looking around most of the county. I can say that we rode through the Lincoln Heights neighborhood (28216 zipcode) and knew that was not the area for us.
We want to move into a racially balanced neighborhood (okay as most as it can be) so our children will have a the same atmosphere aswe live in now. I just want some ideas on which neighborhoods are good for younger families.

Also, moving from FL, we do not have state taxes, can someone explain how state taxes work. I'll use $35,000 per year as an example. Thank you in advanced.

PS. I am a new poster.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Welcome hopefully to the Charlotte area.

I find many of Charlotte nieghborhoods are diverse
Property tax rate:
Mecklenburg County $0.8368
Charlotte $0.42

Below is tax rate on income.
Tax Rate Schedule

there also a handly calculator at that link for instance
Tax Calculation Result

You entered:

Your filing status: Single
Your taxable income: $35000.00

The North Carolina income tax due is: $2323.00

Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
I am very glad to hear that BET has given it's stamp of approval for Charlotte {but wait is that a good thing, considering it's programming). I am a black female, that is moving with my husband and 3 children in the summer of 08. Right now I am just researching the different areas. We have visited twice now and looking around most of the county. I can say that we rode through the Lincoln Heights neighborhood (28216 zipcode) and knew that was not the area for us.
We want to move into a racially balanced neighborhood (okay as most as it can be) so our children will have a the same atmosphere aswe live in now. I just want some ideas on which neighborhoods are good for younger families.

Also, moving from FL, we do not have state taxes, can someone explain how state taxes work. I'll use $35,000 per year as an example. Thank you in advanced.

PS. I am a new poster.

I believe FL has no income tax, so you would just pay Federal taxes on $35K. IN NC you'll be taxed depending on how your filing (joint, head of household). But for a rough guess, use 8% (that's the high end, it's somewhere b/w 6%-8%). You can then figure your state taxes. As you already know your property taxes will be much lower than FL.

The neighborhood you mentioned, isn't the best, if I'm correct on it's location which is West Charlotte. Your decisions are going to be based on how much house you and your husband can afford <$200, >$400, etc., etc. It's best to start there and then others can help you. However I'd recommend starting a new thread as that's a totally different topic.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

182 posts, read 554,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I believe FL has no income tax, so you would just pay Federal taxes on $35K. IN NC you'll be taxed depending on how your filing (joint, head of household). But for a rough guess, use 8% (that's the high end, it's somewhere b/w 6%-8%). You can then figure your state taxes. As you already know your property taxes will be much lower than FL.

The neighborhood you mentioned, isn't the best, if I'm correct on it's location which is West Charlotte. Your decisions are going to be based on how much house you and your husband can afford <$200, >$400, etc., etc. It's best to start there and then others can help you. However I'd recommend starting a new thread as that's a totally different topic.
Thank you very much Miker2069 you have been very helpful.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel2SC View Post
Eastland Mall should NOT be on this list. That is a horrible mall for all races. A more diverse mall is SouthPark and Carolina Place Mall.
Ha!!! Yeah, I know what you mean about that. But you have to understand, Eastland has a lot of "urban" clothing stores that appeal to many African-Americans. There's even a nice African-American themed book store. So while I totally understand where you're coming from, I've found that some of my friends and family actually enjoy visiting there. If anyone's ever been to malls like Greenbrier or South Dekalb in Atlanta, then this is the closet we have to something like that.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Thumbs up A Major Shout-Out To Carolina Blue

I gotta say---those lists of info you provided were among some of the best I have seen on City-Data! You've given me much 'ammunition' for my ongoing debate with my beloved wife as to where we might relocate and/or retire to...it warms my heart to know that Charlotte has a vibrant, thriving, active black community.

I currently live in Middletown, Ohio, born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, and have lived in Indianapolis, IN and Carpentersville, IL (Kane County, north of Chicago)...my wife lived in King Of Prussia, Pa for 9 yrs before returning to Middletown, and she has said on more than one occasion that she misses Philly...I have looked into Philly, too, but now that I have been privy to your Charlotte info, I am very (as my young nephew says) 'geeked', and will continue to beat the drum for Charlotte as well...I love this forum, and being a 50-something black man myself, it's nice to know there are folks like you who don't mind educating the rest of us with articles and information...well done, sir

Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,850 times
Thanks. Here's a new resturant too that folks might like. I've been and it was very good.

Woods on South | 2100 South Blvd | Charlotte, NC

Old 01-25-2008, 08:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Maybe they were thinking of the place where a scumbag like Mayor Marian Berry can become mayor regardless of his character and/or race and be the adoration of so many. However, it doesn't say much for Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte