Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,104 times

Advertisements

HELP!

My brother and his family moved to Charlotte two years ago, and love it! They're trying to get me to move. I live in Southern California. I'm a native. Granted I'm ready for a change (recent empty nester) but uncertain if Charlotte is a fit. (Planning a visit in March). He's married with two kids. I'm single. Big difference. He's nesting, I want to fly the coup and mingle with a new flock.

It kinda freaks me out to hear it's mostly married people. What do (hip) 40 somethings do for fun in Charlotte? Which is the best neighborhood to live for a single? I DO NOT want to be the ONLY single person on the block.

Can someone list five fun things do do for 40 somethings? And the five best neighborhoods in South Charlotte? I'll do a drive-by in a few weeks.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Charleston Place and Belle Vista are townhome communities in Ballantyne Village, walking distance to restaurants, shopping, coffee shops, theater, ymca. Locals gather there for outdoor dining, drinks and hanging out.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM

35 posts, read 91,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCA View Post
HELP!

My brother and his family moved to Charlotte two years ago, and love it! They're trying to get me to move. I live in Southern California. I'm a native. Granted I'm ready for a change (recent empty nester) but uncertain if Charlotte is a fit. (Planning a visit in March). He's married with two kids. I'm single. Big difference. He's nesting, I want to fly the coup and mingle with a new flock.

It kinda freaks me out to hear it's mostly married people. What do (hip) 40 somethings do for fun in Charlotte? Which is the best neighborhood to live for a single? I DO NOT want to be the ONLY single person on the block.

Can someone list five fun things do do for 40 somethings? And the five best neighborhoods in South Charlotte? I'll do a drive-by in a few weeks.

Thank you!
LisaCA,
Welcome to Charlotte! I sent you a message in response to your note above.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Charleston Place and Belle Vista are townhome communities in Ballantyne Village, walking distance to restaurants, shopping, coffee shops, theater, ymca. Locals gather there for outdoor dining, drinks and hanging out.

Thanks.

What's an average listing price for a condo in Charleston Place or Belle Vista?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 AM

14 posts, read 81,174 times
Not sure where you heard this area has mostly married couples. I'm about the same age and there are plenty of available dates. I'm also a real estate agent here but probably would rather take you out than sell you a home

Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
I wondered about this too. I lived in LA as a single and loved it. We then lived in LA for 11 years of our married life but once we had kids it just wasn't the same LA anymore.....that whole responsibility thing and cost, etc...

Anyway, I hope you can find your place here!

Dawn

Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 PM

I read one of the posts that mentioned Charlotte is crammed with soccer mom's driving monstrous SUV's. It reminded me of my quick trip to Charlotte last summer. My brother took me to a casual pizza type place in South Park that had a million kids flocking around a fountain in their perfect preppy cloths. Everyone seemed very married at least everywhere I peered. I guess I can't assume everyone is engaged in martial bliss from one restaurant outing though.

Bike trails? Walking paths? Next to a nice townhome/condo in South Charlotte? I'd like to walk out my door and head down the trail. Plus close to a YMCA?

Thanks!

Dawn--What part of LA? I'm in "The OC." (I really dislike that new term).

Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 AM

139 posts, read 636,241 times
"Everyone seemed very married at least everywhere I peered." That's just the way it seems when you are single or away from someone. Every where you look people are married, and not just married, but they are all happy.

Reminds me of the Joe Jackson song "Happy Loving Couples". I'm 41 myself and recently divorced. Charlotte is an area of interest for me as well.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Happiness doesn't always follow marriage; sometimes it's the other way around. First you find happiness within yourself, then you find marriage. I think Charlotte is one of those areas where it's easy to be happy. If you find a good job, a nice place to call home, and some social interaction you'll be fine.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 AM

10 posts, read 38,912 times
Check out the Lake Norman/ Birkdale Village area. North Charlotte is great for singles especially in the summer with all of the lake happenings. Ballentyne is also good in a different sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: