Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM

92 posts, read 279,999 times

Advertisements

One more thing was attracting me to SA more than NC, is that I think Tx is one of the best states to practice medicine when it comes to libility and I heard there is a cap on lawsuits on doctors.

But one more question, what attracts me the most to a certain city, is 2 things #1 is how beautiful and urban the city is,,, and I don't think that Charlotte is gonna score much about that,,, just starting towards there ,,,,
the other thing I also look for is,,,
how beautiful the scenery can be around, because I grew up in a countly which had a huge desert area everywhere ,,, so you know what the green really makes me happy, and I love cleveland for that, but it is the Winter that I hate the most here..

soooma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Red face Well it is then me,,, snow is following me wherever I go?

I planned to relocate to Charlotte to get rid of Cleveland horrible snow, and guess what from what I see in the pictures in March, it is not much better there now, actually at the current moment we don't have any snow at all in Cleveland, but I heard that more than 6 inches high is the snowfall this March 2nd,,,

So help me God, because I signed the contract and going to start June !!

Besides I heard that houses prices are going up, which is rediculous and against all the common sense!! because how come you would have prices going up when everybody else is going dow, even in the best places!!

Just wondering, and I can still say that I am not unhappy with the move, but apparently, it is not gonna be as I thought
!!

soooma

Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM

34 posts, read 99,349 times
Default Area

If you have traveled and have been to Philly, NY, NJ than down here is paradise. I moved from Philly with my wife and have felt like we have been on vacation for 2 straight years.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: no link

Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM

26 posts, read 110,718 times
If I were you, I would move to Chicago. Chicago is one of the best places to live -- except for the weather. The winters are long (Nov to May). The summers can get hot (92 to 95) but not that often. Tons of hospitals and some of the best in the world -- University of Chicago (#1), Northwestern Memorial Hospital, DuPage Medical, Rush Presbyterian, Michael Reese, Advocate, and on-and-on. There is a saying in chicago -- "If you can not make it here, you will not be able to make it anywhere." This is truly the City of Opportunity.

I purchased a home in Mooresville, NC, right on the Lake. It is beautiful. All my neighbors are transplants. They have come from CA, NY, NJ, CT, MI, FL. I think there is one local person. The weather is nice. The lake is warm. Lake Michigan summer surf temperature would reach 70. That was considered warm -- actually cold to my comparison. Lake Norman surf temperature can reach 85 -- now that feels like bath water.

If you want to be close to the city, I would look at Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson or live directly in Charlotte. Do you have any interests -- golf, boating, etc....

If you live any where near the water or on a gold course, you will pay for the exposure. The farther away from the City, water, or golf course, the cheaper a house would cost. The biggest mistake I made was purchasing a house on the water in Mooresville. I am from Chicago. I like to be around people. I thrive from the energy. Living on Lake Norman is like living in the country. The closest Starbucks is 10 miles away -- aside from the New Bloom grocery store recently built on Bawley School Road. If you forget a stick of butter or milk, it is a big ordeal to run out and get. In the city of Chicago, you could walk left or right and find what ever you need within walking distance.

There are no side walks or lamp posts in my community. At night the only light you get is from the moon -- otherwise it is pitch black. The parcels (property) are very large, over an acre. So don't expect to meet your neighbors unless you make the effort to introduce yourself.

The cost of services -- maid, lawn care, etc.......are more than twice the cost of Chicago. The price of gas, groceries, electricity, and utilities are more than in Chicago. So do not be fooled into thinking if I move to Charlotte or surrounding cities I will be able to save money. It is NOT true. All of my expenses have gone UP. For example, my electric bill in Chicago averaged $125/mo. Now in Mooresville, it averages $310. Maid Service in Chicago $60/week, Now $155/week.

My property taxes have decreased, from $13,325 to Approx $4000. I hear people complaining all the time about their property taxes -- "My taxes went from $2100 to $2200".

You mentioned you have a child. Charlotte Mcklenburg County ranks poorly in education. If you live in McKlenburg County, you will want to send your child to a Private School or a Charter School. If you live in Iredell County, then the public schools are better. However, I have learned that my son is so far advanced educationally, that the information he is being taught today, he learned a year ago. His reading, writing, and math skills has tested at North Carolina's 7th grade level. He is only in 4th grade. This concerns me a great deal. He is not being challenged in the public school system.

Of course there will be rebuttals to my experience. All of our experiences will be unique. I have lived in many cities -- San Diego, Miami Beach, Naperville, IL, and now Mooresville. I do not claim to be an expert of the educational system but I wanted to supply you with a true, very recent experience, and prompt you to truly consider all your options and life experiences.

Charlotte's unemployment rate is 8.3% compared to the national average rate of 6.9%

Good luck with your decision.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post
If I were you, I would move to Chicago. Chicago is one of the best places to live -- except for the weather. The winters are long (Nov to May). The summers can get hot (92 to 95) but not that often. Tons of hospitals and some of the best in the world -- University of Chicago (#1), Northwestern Memorial Hospital, DuPage Medical, Rush Presbyterian, Michael Reese, Advocate, and on-and-on. There is a saying in chicago -- "If you can not make it here, you will not be able to make it anywhere." This is truly the City of Opportunity.

I purchased a home in Mooresville, NC, right on the Lake. It is beautiful. All my neighbors are transplants. They have come from CA, NY, NJ, CT, MI, FL. I think there is one local person. The weather is nice. The lake is warm. Lake Michigan summer surf temperature would reach 70. That was considered warm -- actually cold to my comparison. Lake Norman surf temperature can reach 85 -- now that feels like bath water.

If you want to be close to the city, I would look at Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson or live directly in Charlotte. Do you have any interests -- golf, boating, etc....

If you live any where near the water or on a gold course, you will pay for the exposure. The farther away from the City, water, or golf course, the cheaper a house would cost. The biggest mistake I made was purchasing a house on the water in Mooresville. I am from Chicago. I like to be around people. I thrive from the energy. Living on Lake Norman is like living in the country. The closest Starbucks is 10 miles away -- aside from the New Bloom grocery store recently built on Bawley School Road. If you forget a stick of butter or milk, it is a big ordeal to run out and get. In the city of Chicago, you could walk left or right and find what ever you need within walking distance.

There are no side walks or lamp posts in my community. At night the only light you get is from the moon -- otherwise it is pitch black. The parcels (property) are very large, over an acre. So don't expect to meet your neighbors unless you make the effort to introduce yourself.

The cost of services -- maid, lawn care, etc.......are more than twice the cost of Chicago. The price of gas, groceries, electricity, and utilities are more than in Chicago. So do not be fooled into thinking if I move to Charlotte or surrounding cities I will be able to save money. It is NOT true. All of my expenses have gone UP. For example, my electric bill in Chicago averaged $125/mo. Now in Mooresville, it averages $310. Maid Service in Chicago $60/week, Now $155/week.

My property taxes have decreased, from $13,325 to Approx $4000. I hear people complaining all the time about their property taxes -- "My taxes went from $2100 to $2200".

You mentioned you have a child. Charlotte Mcklenburg County ranks poorly in education. If you live in McKlenburg County, you will want to send your child to a Private School or a Charter School. If you live in Iredell County, then the public schools are better. However, I have learned that my son is so far advanced educationally, that the information he is being taught today, he learned a year ago. His reading, writing, and math skills has tested at North Carolina's 7th grade level. He is only in 4th grade. This concerns me a great deal. He is not being challenged in the public school system.

Of course there will be rebuttals to my experience. All of our experiences will be unique. I have lived in many cities -- San Diego, Miami Beach, Naperville, IL, and now Mooresville. I do not claim to be an expert of the educational system but I wanted to supply you with a true, very recent experience, and prompt you to truly consider all your options and life experiences.

Charlotte's unemployment rate is 8.3% compared to the national average rate of 6.9%

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Jeff, welcome to Charlotte....and, as a former Chicagoan, I will agree with your post.

I think that you are right in assessing the educational system here. There is no Lane Tech here. Although both of my sons are now out of the education process, my youngest, (now 26) quit school in high school because he could not get educated on his level. It is very difficult to get kids that are high achievers challenged here. Now, the same child who the educators said was not able to be educated is working as a computer programmer for a major company...after never having attended college and only obtaining his GED. Luckily, he was determined enough to teach himself. Many others don't have that kind of determination.

Overall, it is nice here. The weather is great. I do miss my ball games and the museums...but, you have to stay where the jobs are... (especially in this market!!)

Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,554 times
We are in the process of researching both South and North Carolina (Charlotte and Columbia areas). We would like to move from Ohio to a much warmer climate with more to do outdoors as well as cultural events.
We have two very busy, little boys. So we are looking for a family friendly, laid back town.
We are planning to visit in June. So that we don't waste time do you have any suggestions as to where we should visit? Can someone tell us the differences in the two states???

Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhark View Post
We are in the process of researching both South and North Carolina (Charlotte and Columbia areas). We would like to move from Ohio to a much warmer climate with more to do outdoors as well as cultural events.
We have two very busy, little boys. So we are looking for a family friendly, laid back town.
We are planning to visit in June. So that we don't waste time do you have any suggestions as to where we should visit? Can someone tell us the differences in the two states???
Well, the two states are as different as any other two states that share a border. Totally different laws, taxes, etc. I guess it would be as different as Ohio is to PA or Indiana or Kentucky.

You really need to post on a new thread in the NC section so people can give you suggestions for a broader area than Charlotte.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Question Hi Anifani,,,, you are here in my post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, the two states are as different as any other two states that share a border. Totally different laws, taxes, etc. I guess it would be as different as Ohio is to PA or Indiana or Kentucky.

You really need to post on a new thread in the NC section so people can give you suggestions for a broader area than Charlotte.

I think I got your post in the other thread and i appreciated your honesty and I wanted also to thank you again in this post.

And again I have to admit that I am shocked it it possible that a city like Charlotte that I thought from net calculator only 6% more expensive than Cleveland which is one of the cheapest cities in the states,,, can be really more expensive in the real life from real people not just calculator,,, than Chicago, I must say I am amazed,,, and shocked at the very same time...

But if that is that case,,,, can someone tell me,,, what is attracting people to Charlotte then,,, as small a city as it can be compared to Dallas and Houston which apparently are really really offering more amenities and more diversities, and better weather in general,,, and cheaper houses, bigger more reputable state,,,,

Why on earth then NC is still on the rise,,, why isn't everybody going to San Antonio then? or Houston? from the stats that I have been reading and I know very well by now,,,, why is this city still one of the most growing?

soooma

Old 03-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

I appreciated your post the most,,, because it talks about a city that I spent more time in than CLT,,, I spent a week in Chicago,,, and I liked it more than LA and more than Seattle,,,, but didn't wanna go though had many offers around Chicago, not in Chicago itself to be honest,,,, but I didn't do this becasue I wanted warmer weather and less traffic, and less expensive overall city... but apparently I was quite wrong about the latter, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I think I got your post in the other thread and i appreciated your honesty and I wanted also to thank you again in this post.

And again I have to admit that I am shocked it it possible that a city like Charlotte that I thought from net calculator only 6% more expensive than Cleveland which is one of the cheapest cities in the states,,, can be really more expensive in the real life from real people not just calculator,,, than Chicago, I must say I am amazed,,, and shocked at the very same time...

But if that is that case,,,, can someone tell me,,, what is attracting people to Charlotte then,,, as small a city as it can be compared to Dallas and Houston which apparently are really really offering more amenities and more diversities, and better weather in general,,, and cheaper houses, bigger more reputable state,,,,

Why on earth then NC is still on the rise,,, why isn't everybody going to San Antonio then? or Houston? from the stats that I have been reading and I know very well by now,,,, why is this city still one of the most growing?

soooma

Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Angry South Carolina in my post,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhark View Post

I am not sure this question is being asked in my post,,,,
but from what I understand also SC is a nice cheaper place, and from what I read, you can live in Fort Mill and work in Charlotte...

soooma
good luck any way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte