Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times

Advertisements

I guess I do tend to over estimate the common irresponsible Joe out there. I would like to say that I do look out for my girl to point of knowing where she is and what she's doing nearly 100% of the time. The remaining percent of the "nearly" is contained within my house...and unless removing some tissues from the trash and chewing them will make her pregnant, everything should be ok!

The point is well taken that the majority of folks don't keep a level of care over their animal to ensure no errant pregnancies. I guess I'm still just a bit sore over being forced to sign a paper that bound me to getting my girl fixed...or she'd be repo'ed by the shelter nazi's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
well, you gotta remember, those shelter folks don't know you...and, they have to treat everyone the same. so, it is not as if you were singled out or anything.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Back to the original topic...We have 4 animals and have lived here for 3.5 yrs. We get notices every time we go to the vet, but have never signed up our animals. No consequences that I know of, other than if they get picked up by animal control they wouldn't be licensed (but they are microchipped, so that doesn't matter anyway). It's $30 per animal, and that's ridiculous, esp. for our indoor cats. You used to have to get a license to go to the dog parks, but they stopped that rule too.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Back to the original topic...We have 4 animals and have lived here for 3.5 yrs. We get notices every time we go to the vet, but have never signed up our animals. No consequences that I know of, other than if they get picked up by animal control they wouldn't be licensed (but they are microchipped, so that doesn't matter anyway). It's $30 per animal, and that's ridiculous, esp. for our indoor cats. You used to have to get a license to go to the dog parks, but they stopped that rule too.
That is a ridiculous thing to have to go through for indoor cats. The only way I can possibly see that being justified is if they are directly using that money to support free spay/neuter clinics for strays or something, and even then.

I think a better approach would be stiffer punishments for people caught abandoning or abusing pets or allowing their pets to randomly breed in the neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
I don't think I was singled out or anything, it's just frustrating that they REQUIRE it...OR ELSE! Ya know?

I guess I get lucky about the licensing by taking her to a vet in Cabarrus...no notices here! I can support the local government in most cases of licensing or registering...but this does seem a bit excessive. Compared to the home security alarm FREE registering, it's nearly absurd. You'd think if one were going to be free, it would be the pet one. In any sense, I can see where a lot of Meck Co. residents don't know about this...and would probably demand that the rule be revoked if they learned about it. I know I would tell them where to go if they wanted me to register my pet.

I wonder if I should register the Red-Shouldered Hawk that nests in my backyard? I do try to train it to remove pesky small yapper dogs in the neighborhood. No luck, so far...

Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Emagine-Bless you for taking the time out to be a last minute friend to so many animals. I am an avid animal lover and would love to be a vet but could not emotionally handle. Im already a basketcase readying your post. So I donate my money and items to help in anyway I can..Plus all my cats are rescues.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I realize the possible tangential bump I may induce into this thread...but it's been brought up, so I have to question it...

I don't understand why people are jerks for not spaying or neutering their animal. What if they want to breed the pet some day to keep a lineage going? What if they want to sell the offspring?
I don't think they're jerks, but I do think it's irresponsible. Professional breeders, who are committed to maintaining breed standards of looks and temperament and personality, etc. are very selective in their breeding. They do tests to ensure that the dogs they are breeding are physically sound, so that they won't be perpetuating defects in the breed. Having an "AKC-registered" animal means nothing. It just means the dog is a pure-breed. It doesn't mean that that dog is the best example of that breed, or that it reflects the breed standards, or that it is healthy on a genetic level, or that it has the right breed temperament. My Siberian, who is pure-bred, is utterly gorgeous -- the prettiest Sibe I've ever seen. He's also too large for the standard (too tall, too long, and consequently too heavy, even though he's fit and well proportioned) and he's epileptic. But I'm asked all the time if he's fixed because people would like to use him for stud service. Sure, he'd create pretty-looking animals, but they wouldn't necessarily be the best examples of the breed. And that's why "backyard breeding," in my opinion, is irresponsible.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive than most to this sort of thing. It's because of Bandit's epilepsy, which he inherited from his mother. All four of the puppies born in that litter have turned out to be epileptic. One of them died last year at the age of 5 from heat-stroke brought on by cluster-seizures. My guy is on medication every day and costs me a good $600 more per year than he would if he DIDN'T have the epilepsy. My vet tells me now that Siberians are one of the top-25 breeds showing a genetic predisposition for epilepsy.

There are plenty of breeds out there that have suffered because of irresponsible breeding. They've grown too large or their temperaments have changed or they've developed health problems that weren't there before. That's why I think "backyard breeding" is irresponsible.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Any you can not get by without paying the fee either. ANYTIME you take your dog/cat to a Vet in Mecklenburg County...they report you to the city of Charlotte...so even if you just go and get a check up or shots or have them fixed or whatever...you will be reported to Mecklenburg County. Only way around this is to go to a Vet outside of Mecklenburg County.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 29,385 times
Realize this is an old thread, but didn't see a resolution...

We have received two notices from Pet Data, and now a phone message saying if we didn't license we "could" receive a "citation."

Anyone continued to ignore them past this point?
Curious what happened, and if the "citation" threat is just FUD.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
I have never heard of pet data?

eta:

Have you gotten your pet its rabies vaccine? Did you send in the certificate and get your pets tag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte