Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times

Advertisements

I'm glued to 24 Heures du Mans on SpeedHD - I hope to attend one day.

These teams race 24 yrs regardless of weather.
No rain delays at Le Mans.
NASCAR - pppffft, wimps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I'm glued to 24 Heures du Mans on SpeedHD - I hope to attend one day.

These teams race 24 yrs regardless of weather.
No rain delays at Le Mans.
NASCAR - pppffft, wimps.

One of my favorite modern bands, Phish, at one point were serious about playing what they would call "The LG", "The Long Gig". Their idea was to book a venue for a minimum of 36 hours. They wanted to see what type of music could be created through sheer exhaustion. They would talk, "should we tell the audience in advance, should we keep it a secret and just keep going, how long would we need to book the venue for...". Watching them interviewed about it, it was something they really wanted to do. The closest it ever happened though was their 1999 New Year's show at Big Cypress, Florida: one late afternoon set and a midnight to sunrise set (which went from 11:55 NYE straight through until 7-7:30 in the morning, New Year's Day). Listening to it on disc you can hear their improvisation get trippier and trippier the longer that overnight set wore on. Some of the most inspired stuff I've ever heard them do happened around the 5 and 6 am hours.

But to drive an open wheel for 24 hours, that's just nuts.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
mornin' all. BUSY day ahead, church errands and finishing up the paper on Urban Farms. SIGH.

gotta start packin' too!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
mornin' all. BUSY day ahead, church errands and finishing up the paper on Urban Farms. SIGH.

gotta start packin' too!!
Hope it all falls in place well for you, CHI!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I have to start packing too. I leave for Boston in the morning.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Well, once again another day with me wondering - is it me?

I had a lot of trouble doing the papers yesterday and today. For some reason, there were literally hundreds of vehicles carrying bicycles all descending on the Latta Plantation at around 5 AM. I was actually stuck in traffic yesterday morning for about 30 minutes just trying to deliver the last couple of papers to that street before heading out and up Beatties Ford.

Same thing this morning, so I figure I'll skip the Latta Plantation deliveries and hit them later when I'm done with everyone else. Now, about 7:30, HPD has the roads to and from there closed. I slowly drive up, roll the window down, show them the newspapers and politely explain that there are customers on that street, some elderly and handicapped, that are expected their newspapers. Jeez, you'd think that I was asking them to let me in so I could rob them. I had enough of this being treated like a criminal BS when I was younger - I really don't expect it these days. I wasn't the one who arranged this event (why in God's name did it need to start at 5:00?), but really I wasn't expecting the attitude.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I have to start packing too. I leave for Boston in the morning.
Have a great trip, Barking.

I'm going to China on Tues for 2 weeks.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Have a great trip, Barking.

I'm going to China on Tues for 2 weeks.
Have a terrific time, ChiC!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
So speaking of my post having to do with Phish, I see that Bruce Springsteen got up on stage and jammed with them for three songs at Bonnaroo last night.

Mustang Sally
Bobby Jean
Glory Days

Maybe not my idea of three songs I'd choose to see them play (I'd think Mustang Sally was a highlight though), certainly not Bobby Jean, but still... Bruce Springsteen jammed with Phish last night.

I did see Phish cover Born to Run once, the only time they ever played it.

Why did I stop going to this festival after 2004....

Oh well...the lossless soundboard files are mine in less than three hours.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
Phantom was good in case anyone else is thinking of seeing it. I've seen it in other cities and it was better, but I've seen it places where it was worse too. LOL. Overall, I'd recommend it. The actor who played Phantom was really good. Christine was pretty good. Raoul was good too.

We went to Capitol Grill afterward for a drink and dessert, I've never been there b4 gonna have to check it out for dinner. Seemed nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte