Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

I don't toss out any coupons that have expired. 80-90% of the time the checkout girl or guy doesn't bother to look at the dates..... (at least in Walmart)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If you have the patience and discipline to do all that, more power to you. I don't have the motivation to do any more than clip them out every Sunday, put em all in an envelope, go through them before I go to the store, grab what I'll need and toss any that have expired.
I probably spend less time than you do. If an average of 80% savings isn't enough motivation that's your prerogative. I will give it to you, it sounds more complicated than it is.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't toss out any coupons that have expired. 80-90% of the time the checkout girl or guy doesn't bother to look at the dates..... (at least in Walmart)
True, but getting up there in line and getting rejected or not saving anything and having to put the item back is more bothersome to me than getting away with expired Q's. Many times there are 5-10 items a week that are free so I don't really even feel the need to try and cheat the system.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:10 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I haven't found that this method does much for me. When I did it this way is when I would notice that the store brands were still cheaper or that there was a better deal with a different product.

I have JUST started The Grocery Game and organizing coupons. It does take a lot of time, but think of it this way.....

I save an average of $60 or MORE per week. It takes about an hour at most to clip and file coupons (takes a little longer to set it up to start with).

That is $60 or more per hour and I would have to make $90/hour to take home $60 by the time everything is taken out of my paycheck.

So, if I can save $240/month with 4 hours of work, I consider it well worth it!

I got a binder and some baseball card holder things to put in it and watched a couple of YouTube how tos......

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If you have the patience and discipline to do all that, more power to you. I don't have the motivation to do any more than clip them out every Sunday, put em all in an envelope, go through them before I go to the store, grab what I'll need and toss any that have expired.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I think they are programmed into the computer because even though the checkout person doesn't check, it won't scan.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I think they are programmed into the computer because even though the checkout person doesn't check, it won't scan.

Dawn
That's what I thought too. Sometimes they will take an expired one at certain stores tho.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Dawn
Not necessarily....I've had much success w/expired coupons...most times if it doesn't scan, they will just manually deduct.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:47 PM

Did anyone see that Lowes foods had 80% ground meat on sale for 1.44 /lb? Insane!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
On the original question, are they worth it? No. But that depends in part on buying habits.

I generally don't bother with coupons because they do take a lot of time and effort, and generally they are for named brand packaged food which I don't buy that much of. I've found that coupons, even in the premium priced places such as HT are rarely a deal over the house brand and especially if buy other stuff from the store while you are there.

I've found over the years that it is really cheaper to just go to the discount places such as Costco and Walmart, and stock up.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM

For me, the bottom line is I don't shop at HT if I don't have to. Prices in general are just WAY to expensive.....If I can save a ton of money bagging myself somewhere else, I will do it.

There are some good deals during their 3 day sales (ie butter, ground meat)....which are good deals. However for a "weekly" shopping trip, NO WAY is HT going to rape me on their pricing....even w/coupons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte