Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Charlotte and husband's job would be in South Charlotte. Was thinking about Dilworth/Myers Park/Elizabeth and other neighborhoods in South Charlotte. I am concerned about what I've been reading. I have an 8th and 5th grader and I would hope for them to be able to finish in the high school (and also middle) where they've started. If it was your family, would you feel better about moving into the Providence or Ardrey Kell zoned area in order not to be re-zoned, or is it likely to happen within the next 5-7 years in those schools as well? Also, just in general some have advised that Providence or Ardrey Kell would be better schools in general since the IB program would probably not be something we'd consider. Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
How come Mcclintock is such a poor school but the elementary and high school aren't? Is it the same students attending all the schools as they grow older?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
How come Mcclintock is such a poor school but the elementary and high school aren't? Is it the same students attending all the schools as they grow older?
My theory? Many drop out early in high school, but you can't drop out of middle school. In elementary kids are still able to be controlled enough by teachers that they can keep problems to a minimum.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
That explains it rather well. If you look at the numbers one will stand out that McClintock has almost 80% on the free lunch program. Compare this to just 3 years ago and you will see a drastic differance. Many kids have left also. If you recall this school was in the news for weeks when the former principal was charged with assault and fired for "shoving" an out of control student. For sure Mcclintock is not the only school with problems and the big deal about parents not wanting their Myers Park/AG students sent there is in part because of each schools "rep" There is a big differance.. I may add that in some schools the on duty police officer walks around the school all day and makes his presence known. I know for a fact the officer at McClintock hasnt been doing this. Do other schools have cops who are seldom seen around campus ? maybe so ,this I dont know.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:14 AM

446 posts, read 831,367 times
Default The whole thing annoys me

My son went to MPHS and graduated in 2006....MP has it's share of problems...gangs, fights, weapons, drugs, thugs, and some crummy teachers..just like ALL the schools in CMS do. Just because of where it's located, in MP it is implied that it's the best school in the system. It IS A good school, BUT, my 2 younger kids go to Independence now. They are enrolled in the AIS program and are getting as good, if not better, education at the Big I.

All my kids went to Cotswold, and THAT was an example of an exceptional school. I attribute this to parental involvement mostly. The schools that have low performance issues, bad gang issues, etc, seem to have the LEAST parental involvement. We can talk about how great and wonderful a school is or how bad it is, but until you talk about what the PARENTS are contributing the whole thing is skewed....it's not just the school, teachers, principals, etc, that make a school what it is, it's the PARENTS and what they are doing to teach their kids right from wrong, and teach them to WANT to learn and the importance of an education.

I think that the people fighting to stay in MPHS are simply spoiled. They want what they want when and where they want it and if they don't get it they make a huge stink and usually win because money talks here in Charlotte. The school board is made up of a group of wusses who can't make a decision for fear of pissing someone off. It makes me nuts.

This is a public school system and they NEED to do what is BEST all around for the SYSTEM. East Meck is going to SUFFER if they lose all those kids to the new Mint Hill HS...they lose funding for THEIR programs when their enrollment drops but nobody seems to care about that! It's ALL about Myers Park and the whiny rich people who know that money speaks....loudly.

If you aren't happy about where your kid goes to school then get involved, be proactive, join the freaking PTA, do fundraisers for your school, get your kids involved in clubs, and teach them the importance of an education and to make the best of what is offered to them. In my experience, with 3 kids in the CMS system ( 1 of them since KINDERGARTEN) the schools ALL need the parents to give a darn about what happens to their kids.

In a PUBLIC school system you have to learn to deal with what you have instead of wishing you had something else. Moving isn't an option for most people, so you work with what you have....and if you look closely enough, most of the schools have good, solid programs, including AP, honors, AIS (at Independence), IB, etc. USE what you have and be a PARENT to your children.

Someone needs to actually consider East Meck in this equation and realize what will happen to this school if they DON'T move some of the MP students. I can pretty much promise you that a kid moved from MPHS to East Meck will be afforded the same opportunities as they had at MPHS, including IB!

I'm sick and tired of the richest areas of town always getting their way....in more than one issue here in Charlotte. I don't live in a "poor" area, but I don't live in Ballantyne or MP either and my kids get a fantastic education! I'm not bragging, but we get INVOLVED in our kids education and I truly believe THAT helps them succeed, no matter WHERE they go to school!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
Thinking about moving to Charlotte and husband's job would be in South Charlotte. Was thinking about Dilworth/Myers Park/Elizabeth and other neighborhoods in South Charlotte. I am concerned about what I've been reading. I have an 8th and 5th grader and I would hope for them to be able to finish in the high school (and also middle) where they've started. If it was your family, would you feel better about moving into the Providence or Ardrey Kell zoned area in order not to be re-zoned, or is it likely to happen within the next 5-7 years in those schools as well? Also, just in general some have advised that Providence or Ardrey Kell would be better schools in general since the IB program would probably not be something we'd consider. Thoughts???
If it were me, I'd recognize that CMS is a school district and if you enroll your kids in that district, you MAY be rezoned at some point. IOW, you don't have the "right" to insist that your kids go to school A over school B.

I know see why people would move to a county with schools that are "good" across the board.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
Sandryn - What is an AIS program? Thanks : )

Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 AM

446 posts, read 831,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
Sandryn - What is an AIS program? Thanks : )

It's the Academy of International Studies. There are only a few in the nation. It's basically a "school within a school". My kids have the opportunity to take a trip each year to places like Atlanta, New York City, Orlando, etc as well as the fantastic learning experiences the program offers. I just can't say enough about it...and the best part, all my kid's teachers know my kids names and WHO they are as a student and as a kid. They HAVE to complete 120 hours of service learning and also a 40 hour internship. Also, the teachers are wonderful, exceptional people who are hand picked to teach in the program and are recruited from across the country. Here are a few links to explain it better.

http://www.asiasociety.org/education...chools-network

http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/independence/ais.html]Independence[/url] High School : Academy of International Studies

Quote that sums up the very best part of the program:

"School Voices
Being a teacher in the Academy has rejuvenated me! I love that I can teach students in a creative way. I am learning more about our world every day. I also love the closeness that has been achieved with my students. This Is how all children should learn. -Teacher "

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
My son went to MPHS and graduated in 2006....MP has it's share of problems...gangs, fights, weapons, drugs, thugs, and some crummy teachers..just like ALL the schools in CMS do. Just because of where it's located, in MP it is implied that it's the best school in the system. It IS A good school, BUT, my 2 younger kids go to Independence now. They are enrolled in the AIS program and are getting as good, if not better, education at the Big I.

All my kids went to Cotswold, and THAT was an example of an exceptional school. I attribute this to parental involvement mostly. The schools that have low performance issues, bad gang issues, etc, seem to have the LEAST parental involvement. We can talk about how great and wonderful a school is or how bad it is, but until you talk about what the PARENTS are contributing the whole thing is skewed....it's not just the school, teachers, principals, etc, that make a school what it is, it's the PARENTS and what they are doing to teach their kids right from wrong, and teach them to WANT to learn and the importance of an education.

I think that the people fighting to stay in MPHS are simply spoiled. They want what they want when and where they want it and if they don't get it they make a huge stink and usually win because money talks here in Charlotte. The school board is made up of a group of wusses who can't make a decision for fear of pissing someone off. It makes me nuts.

This is a public school system and they NEED to do what is BEST all around for the SYSTEM. East Meck is going to SUFFER if they lose all those kids to the new Mint Hill HS...they lose funding for THEIR programs when their enrollment drops but nobody seems to care about that! It's ALL about Myers Park and the whiny rich people who know that money speaks....loudly.

If you aren't happy about where your kid goes to school then get involved, be proactive, join the freaking PTA, do fundraisers for your school, get your kids involved in clubs, and teach them the importance of an education and to make the best of what is offered to them. In my experience, with 3 kids in the CMS system ( 1 of them since KINDERGARTEN) the schools ALL need the parents to give a darn about what happens to their kids.

In a PUBLIC school system you have to learn to deal with what you have instead of wishing you had something else. Moving isn't an option for most people, so you work with what you have....and if you look closely enough, most of the schools have good, solid programs, including AP, honors, AIS (at Independence), IB, etc. USE what you have and be a PARENT to your children.

Someone needs to actually consider East Meck in this equation and realize what will happen to this school if they DON'T move some of the MP students. I can pretty much promise you that a kid moved from MPHS to East Meck will be afforded the same opportunities as they had at MPHS, including IB!

I'm sick and tired of the richest areas of town always getting their way....in more than one issue here in Charlotte. I don't live in a "poor" area, but I don't live in Ballantyne or MP either and my kids get a fantastic education! I'm not bragging, but we get INVOLVED in our kids education and I truly believe THAT helps them succeed, no matter WHERE they go to school!
WOO HOO - you said a mouth full! And thank you for corrobarating what I said earlier about Myers Park not being any better of a school than East Meck.

For any newcomer so convinced you HAVE to get your kids into Myers Park because you've heard this is the school to go to in Charlotte, please know you are buying into hype. The perception that Myers Park is better is not the reality.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Like I've said, take away the IB program, and Myers Park is a fairly average school. One of the middle schools that feeds Myers Park is Spaugh, which is one of the worst middle schools in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte