Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is a difference in work ethics too.
I work in Michigan for a month as a store trainer besides my co workers room being broke into while we worked in Flint.
They were the best quick responsive workers and showed sometimes early they where eager to do the work.
I went to Augusta doing same job for a month oh my god talk about lazy. I would hire someone from Michigan
over a southerner in a New York (pun intended) minute. What Im getting at maybe I just have respect for people with different cultures and probably why I let rude posts stand because part of it I knew it was cultural differences. I know I clash with people from Boston (buoston).

Heck no im not letting that happen be friendly durn it.
"Act happy or be happy no one cares which" Connie Podesta
I'm just one big freakin ray of sunshine, Aren't I?
Sunny, they may have seemed that way, but were they really? The reason I am saying this is that I worked around some Northern transplants who acted like they were really on the ball--while the boss was around. When the boss left, watch out. It was party time for them while I did the work. One of them commented to me that it was not what she did that counted, but what the boss thought she did.

Last edited by NCN; 01-08-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
When Was I telling you about them. Sorry I don't recall.. Link to that post please. And you might try answering the original question as well... In your mind, are there any rude southerners?
Yes, I did answer, but you are ignoring the answer. There are low class people everywhere. But we are speaking of cultures here. I can tell you that it was so much more pleasant to work around the well-bred people of the South before all the Northerners started moving in, so as a whole, the North is more rude than the South. Is that plain enough for you?

I was talking about people of the Northern culture in general. One of the posters from the North posted to that fact of needing to be honest also. You like to purposely misunderstand what one has said. So you win. You have gone beyond what I can tolerate to communicate with. You won't be on my invite list either. LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 02:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
But the difference is that I would never move North. The Northerners are moving here and instead of learning to be pleasant to be around, they, like you, want us to start acting like them. I do not want or need rude friends. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will agree that it is best for you to stay there and the first post told it like it is. If you are going to act like that, please go somewhere else. We are having people move here and since they are from the North, of course, they are right and we are wrong. NOT!

I would rather be two faced as you call it than to go around hurting peoples feelings all the time. I am actually acting a little like a Northerner on here and hoping that some of what I say makes them think a little. My message to them is, "You have moved to this area and we are what we are and we like it that way. We don't want our town to change into what you left. Please try to be more pleasant." And if there is something about us that is going to kill someone unless it is changed, tell us about it; otherwise mind your own business and keep it to yourself and tell your Northern friend about it. You can talk about us all you want to, just don't try to force your ways on us.

I apologize to my Southern friends for this post. This is what I don't like about Northerners. They do not know how to take a hint. If you don't want to do things their way, you have to turn into someone you don't want to be in order to get them to listen, because they always know better than you do. The only way to deal with them is to just stay away from them.
WOW!! Talk about the pot calling the Kettle Black....

Look, This city and most of it's inhabitants are pushing to emulate the northern urban feel. Every year I hear about changes being made downtown to move in that direction.

This city is beautiful and I know you're proud of it, but you need to understand that Northern people, money and influence have just as much to do with that as the Natives..

Welcome the money, objectivity, open mindedness, inovation that we bring down. The south has already endured many northern based changes for the better. And as long as you want that structurally wealthy, important big city feel that Charlotte pushes towards year after year, you'll have to go along with the diverse changes that go along with big city life.

Sorry native, this isn't just your city anymore. Get used to it...

And if you're hoping for that Lemonade, cornbread and biscuits, rocking chair on the covered porch, slow talking have all day to talk about the weather feel from everyone around you, you need to understand, that brand will soon be extinct here. That's not big city life.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,411,385 times
The amount of hypocrisy, along with the "we do things better than you", in this thread is beyond astonishing. As if one region of the country produces a better class of people than any other.

So let's see...there's no such thing as an upfront, rude southerner. Furthermore, there's no such thing as a kind, polite northerner.

OR....

There are few upfront, rude southerners and even less kind, polite northerners. Because...and I guess this is how I'm reading it...geography makes all the difference in the world.

The funny thing about this thread too? You're getting southerners getting uppity, speaking their mind about how rude the northerners are, which was supposedly a northern trait. On the other hand you've got northerners being polite, tiptoeing like, "that's not me, we're actually pretty nice", supposedly a southern trait.

In the history of backwards threads, this one is...."gold, Jerry."

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,995 times
Quote:
Yes, I did answer, but you are ignoring the answer. There are low class people everywhere. But we are speaking of cultures here. I can tell you that it was so much more pleasant to work around the well-bred people of the South before all the Northerners started moving in, so as a whole, the North is more rude than the South. Is that plain enough for you?

I was talking about people of the Northern culture in general. One of the posters from the North posted to that fact of needing to be honest also. You like to purposely misunderstand what one has said. So you win. You have gone beyond what I can tolerate to communicate with. You won't be on my invite list either. LOL
!!!... No cornbread and lemonade?!?!

By your description, telling people how you feel is rude, yet you're telling us all that YOU FEEL WE'RE RUDE?.... LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Now let me see . . . Charlotte was a backward city with Southerners who are too slow to dig themselves out of their potato patch until, since the year 2001, a flood of Northerners moved down here and rescued the world from ignorance.

Well. Glad you explained that! I am sure all the taxpayers who have been here for decades are glad to know that newcomers set us all straight (and magically created all these plans - even tho they were all in the works for years and came straight from folks who lived here and were voted onto the city/county governing councils).

Maybe those of you who think you are singlehandedly responsible for "rescuing Charlotte" could do something about the highways around here while you are at it?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,251 times
Quote:
And yes, I think that normal Northern behavior is more rude and normal Southern cultured behavior is more mannerly. It is a cultural difference. Just my opinion. And yes, I have had people look at me like, "why are you speaking to me." "Because my mother taught me to be friendly" is the answer. I guess we just had fewer people where I come from and anyone who would not speak to you was thought to be "stuck up."
Ok I was taught to be nice to others and respectful and hospitable also even though I was born and bred in NY.

And it's funny, honestly I have thought the same thing 'why are you speaking to me,' when someone starts talking to me at the grocery store or somewhere. I never say it, but I think it.

The thing is, I've been mugged, groped, intentionally felt up, pushed, shoved, kicked in the middle of manhattan and in the subway; my friend had a knife pulled at her, etc etc. (Some of these things were by women too). We just don't talk to random people at stores or in public. We don't smile at them, we don't wave, nothing. Do we seem rude, sure, but we do NOT want to invite anyone to harm us. While maybe this doesn't happen too much in Southpark or Ballantyne or whereever you are, I still don't like to be too nice. People sometimes just have a hidden agenda.

HOWEVER, behind closed doors or with a friend or someone we're meeting, I would never be rude. Maybe you had a bad experience with your northerner friend. What in particular about her bothered you?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

444 posts, read 1,144,386 times
It doesn't take much work to be nice. Just smile, wave, and stick to the positives
Plus..You're in a different city.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
But the difference is that I would never move North. The Northerners are moving here and instead of learning to be pleasant to be around, they, like you, want us to start acting like them. I do not want or need rude friends. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will agree that it is best for you to stay there and the first post told it like it is. If you are going to act like that, please go somewhere else. We are having people move here and since they are from the North, of course, they are right and we are wrong. NOT!

I would rather be two faced as you call it than to go around hurting peoples feelings all the time. I am actually acting a little like a Northerner on here and hoping that some of what I say makes them think a little. My message to them is, "You have moved to this area and we are what we are and we like it that way. We don't want our town to change into what you left. Please try to be more pleasant." And if there is something about us that is going to kill someone unless it is changed, tell us about it; otherwise mind your own business and keep it to yourself and tell your Northern friend about it. You can talk about us all you want to, just don't try to force your ways on us.

I apologize to my Southern friends for this post. This is what I don't like about Northerners. They do not know how to take a hint. If you don't want to do things their way, you have to turn into someone you don't want to be in order to get them to listen, because they always know better than you do. The only way to deal with them is to just stay away from them.
You're missing a large portion of the point I was trying to make... You take 2 faced to another level when you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Your basic issue is that you're predisposed to the "North culture" and you don't want those folks around. You're trying (poorly I might add) to justify this to yourself and others who may reading this by putting all the blame on others and won't even for a second think to be welcoming.

You hide behind this "cultural difference" like the NE and Charlotte are worlds apart - well, it's a 10hour drive for me from Long Island, NY. Even LESS for those gawd awful Jersey folks. So I hate to break the bad news to you, but you don't live in "Rome" where I need a passport to visit. Since you clearly view the North folks as a plague I hate to be the bearer of bad news (I'm lying in this case), but people aren't going to stop coming... and what's worse is you need people to continue to come to get yourself out of the mess you created for yourself down there.

Once you learn that the answer to this "cultural difference" isn't that the "North is wrong" or the "North is trying to change everything" and look objectively at how you are approaching this, you're not going to get anything but grief... I'm sure your great great grandpappy wanted to hold onto many aspects of "Southern cultural" that are gone today. It seems to me that this is more about that type of thing then just general rudeness with how the OP started... North folks who are rude are RUDE - I dislike these people as much you do. But, I can't do anything about them... In the end, all I can do is try my best and if I'm already a lost cause to you as a "true" Southerner that saddens me... Because if and when I do move back to the Charlotte area it will be for the primary purpose of finding a great life for my family and kids. I'm not looking for anything beyond that - or anybody to change... but I would like to meet HONEST, UP FRONT, REAL people who have the same family values I'm trying to instill into my kids. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. Everyone from the North isn't coming down there to change things or to make the natives unhappy - that's what you're making it seem like. In that, you're wrong.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,946 times
Default That was hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Oh well, if he's from England he is used to the North/South conflicts then isn't he? Here is a good example of what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXP2xUdA2OI
Off the subject, but is that a BBC show, do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte