Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:59 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloClevelandCharlotte View Post
That's wierd the quoted you $7,400 they quoted me $6,700 in Hamilton Lakes but we still didn't go with it. I wonder if options prices vary other things as well.
$6,700 is without hanging the plasma on the wall.

I think I will get my own tv and wireless speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

182 posts, read 824,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
$6,700 is without hanging the plasma on the wall.

I think I will get my own tv and wireless speakers.
We paid $4500 to have very thing prewired and upgrade the panel. The basic alarm package was included in the base price of the house. (Berewick KB)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 PM

49 posts, read 175,917 times
We did the pre-wire for the security system and got the cable wiring upgrade. I work in the cable industry and can tell you that the standard cable they use is garbage...and the way they run the wire. I wnet with the 3-cable/3-phone level, but told them to give me 5 cable drops and 1 phone. With digital phone you essentially don't need any telephone outlets anyway.

As for the rest of the upgrade, we kinda lost control and went all out. The only things different from what I'm reading on here were Corian in leu of granite (much easier to maintain, but unfortunately more expensive) and Pergo/Laminate instead of hardwoods throughout the first floor. They will look very good, but again, much more low maintenance. Absolutely no dents or divots. I was also hesitent to have hardwoods in the kitchen. Oh yeah, and it saved me about $5k.

One of the decisions that's still bugging me was to not get the backyard sodded. I know the lawns in the community look bad that don't have the sod, but I figured I'd seed and water the hell out of it and if it didn't take, I'd just pay for the sod later for a fraction of what KB was charging for it.

Other big things we sprung for were the covered patio, full-bath conversions, and the lot premium - if you consider that an upgrade. We actually have a view of Lake Wylie.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,821 times
Default neat

obvious child...wow that is cool you have a view of the lake. Yeah so what do they do with the back? I just got a pic and it looks like they just lay hay around? Do they even seed it and what am I suppose to do with the hay? ha!

Dave mags....who was your security guy at the studio?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 PM

49 posts, read 175,917 times
They throw seed down and hay and it looks like they try to water it heavily before closing. Unfortunatley with the hay, you can't mow it for a while so be prepared for it to look horrible for a while with some grass sprouting high and patches of dirt. I'm not sure what kind of seed they use or how well they spread it which is why I plan on hitting Lowe's and getting a bunch of my own seed. I believe the grass in Berewick is fescue.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,915 times
I did the security prewire also and said I would go with ADT who they were offering but I want to backout and go with CPI did anyone else do ADT?

Think I can get out of this?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,821 times
Default TBLTZ....and Dave

TBLTZ...I was wondering the same thing. What makes you want to switch? I just heard ADT has a slow response rate. What do you know?

I heard CPI has a true response time and will come over a loud speaker and talk to you. I am not sure if that is necessary but it sounds comforting. Are they the same price monthly?

theobvious child...so how long will it look that bad? A few months or like a year? I have no clue and neither does my husband on anything that grows outside-ha! What do you recommend?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 PM

28 posts, read 89,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
We did the pre-wire for the security system and got the cable wiring upgrade. I work in the cable industry and can tell you that the standard cable they use is garbage...and the way they run the wire. I wnet with the 3-cable/3-phone level, but told them to give me 5 cable drops and 1 phone. With digital phone you essentially don't need any telephone outlets anyway.

As for the rest of the upgrade, we kinda lost control and went all out. The only things different from what I'm reading on here were Corian in leu of granite (much easier to maintain, but unfortunately more expensive) and Pergo/Laminate instead of hardwoods throughout the first floor. They will look very good, but again, much more low maintenance. Absolutely no dents or divots. I was also hesitent to have hardwoods in the kitchen. Oh yeah, and it saved me about $5k.

One of the decisions that's still bugging me was to not get the backyard sodded. I know the lawns in the community look bad that don't have the sod, but I figured I'd seed and water the hell out of it and if it didn't take, I'd just pay for the sod later for a fraction of what KB was charging for it.

Other big things we sprung for were the covered patio, full-bath conversions, and the lot premium - if you consider that an upgrade. We actually have a view of Lake Wylie.
Wow, where did you find pergo floors? They told me they didn't have laminate wood floors as an option. How much did they charge for them? Also, just had the final option run today. Anyone know if it is really final for minor changes?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,212 times
Speaking of upgrades--how much should the price difference be between an interior unit vs. end unit in a townhome development assuming the floor plan is the same? What if the lot is slightly bigger--how much difference should that make?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM

182 posts, read 824,926 times
I have to say I'm surprised by the option of Pergo flooring; I didn't see it offered. Maybe you thought engineered hardwoods are the same. (?)
We orginally signed a contract for a house in the Blue Ridge Collection (the larger homes in Evanton) but I ended up not being happy with the floor plan we chose.
We switched to the Biltmore collection and changed lots and we are much happier.
My point is, we ended up with two sets of upgrade options lists, so we were able to see where they charged more (or lees) in some areas.
There was actually an option for Rear yard sod with the second choice house at a price of $2,235; it wasn't offered with the first (?)
But my question was if they charged the same regardless of the size of the lot and the answer is YES!
We are on a 12,000 sq ft lot and now I'm wondering if during our final appt if we should include this now.
My biggest problem is our house won't be ready until Nov and the sod should be dormate at that time and I'd hate to spend the money and see it die. (I don't suppose they'd come back in the spring?)
What do you guys think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte