Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,798 times

Advertisements

Kitchens and Baths, Kitchens and Baths!! I would also STRONGLY recommend a fireplace. I would also not buy a house up here without one. Just really nice to sit by one when its cold outside... very romantic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Kitchens and Baths, Kitchens and Baths!! I would also STRONGLY recommend a fireplace. I would also not buy a house up here without one. Just really nice to sit by one when its cold outside... very romantic!
Couldn't I put in a fireplace at a later date. has anyone added a gas fireplace to an existing home?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post

Yes makes your house so cozy!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Just think, for only one dollar from everyone in this room can make a change in someone's life. You can be assured that, the person (me) will be cozy on a cold night sitting by their (my) warm fireplace.lol
O.K im getting tired
THanks for all the advice, now I'm more confused. My upgrades are going to be more than the house. lol

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
Just think, for only one dollar from everyone in this room can make a change in someone's life. You can be assured that, the person (me) will be cozy on a cold night sitting by their (my) warm fireplace.lol
O.K im getting tired
THanks for all the advice, now I'm more confused. My upgrades are going to be more than the house. lol

No get the fireplace now. It's not that expensive for the builder to put it in. With most builders it's standard it's only like 3K isn't it?

Fireplace
High celings
Gourmet Kitchen
Wood floors.
Whatever you do, do 42 inch cabinets!!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
No get the fireplace now. It's not that expensive for the builder to put it in. With most builders it's standard it's only like 3K isn't it?

Fireplace
High celings
Gourmet Kitchen
Wood floors.
Whatever you do, do 42 inch cabinets!!
I will take your advise and get all of those for sure. What do you mean by gourmet kitchen? is it the double oven and a gas cooktop on the side or just upgraded stainless steel?

Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 AM

Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 AM

293 posts, read 958,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
Dave Ive built before and that is always a great upgrade are the floors...u cant go wrong however my suggestion would be instead of tile in the dining room do a wood floor, ALWAYS think resale...right realotrs??? LOL...

Are wood floors more of a selling point than tile floors? I put tile in my foyer, dining and kitchen on a diagonal. They cost more than the wood floors. I was going with wood originally, but I have a large dog and figured he would scratch them up.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 AM

70 posts, read 350,242 times
how long are you planning to live in the home?

If you are planning to live in the house for longer than 2 or 3 years get what you want so you can enjoy it.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times
Selling upgrades to people buying new construction is what I've done for nearly ten years, and here's the best advice I can give you:
1. Make sure the "bones" of the house are upgraded:
a. Cabinetry in kitchen (42", or tallest you can afford)
b. Wood floors throughout the first floor (keep the flooring consistant, so that if you get wood flooring, get it installed throughout. If you get tile, do the same. Don't get tile in one area, wood in another and then carpet in yet another area. It chops up the "flow" of the first floor.
c. Get fireplaces and any major plumbing and electric, such as double sinks, island in the kitchen, hi-hats.
d. If you're being offered upgrades such as higher ceilings , upgrade them (in the main areas only!) This is a sore spot for me, as I believe that these types of structural items should be included. It's just another way for the builder to get more money out of the buyer!
In any case, these are the things you will probably not tackle by yourself after you've purchased the home.
2. Items that can be changed later (or what I call "bells and whistles"):
a. Counter tops: Formica is fine, in upgraded colors. NEVER get light Formica without a beveled edge, as it will show an ugly dark line on the edges. Stick with dark Formica. Granite and any other solid surfacing is always less expensive done on your own, as builders mark these items up BIG TIME!
b. Appliances. Get the standard stuff and upgrade yourself later. You have more bargaining power at an appliance store when you're buying five appliances, than if you would buying them from a builder. I worked for a builder not too long ago, who marked up appliances to 75% more than what the retail appliances stores were selling them for!
c. Carpeting: get the upgraded padding, if available, then you don't neccesarily need the upper-level upgraded carpeting. NEVER get builder's grade carpeting! You'll be replacing it in a matter of 18 months, especially if you have pets and children.
d. If the builder offers upgrades in plumbing fixtures and lighting fixtures, only consider them in the foyer, kitchen, powder baths and master bath. Stay standard in all other areas, as you can upgrade them yourself later on.
Good Luck! Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte