Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
Ballantyne needs some affordable housing. East Charlotte has been run over with section 8's ever since the Uptown crowd tore down all the housing projects around there. Besides, their landscapers, and maids won't have to travel so far.
Oh, pooh. My landscaper travels from Boone (son) and I have a live-in housekeeper (me).

As others have said . . . show me a shortage of housing. Then we can talk about building more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times
Does anyone know if the increase to $1800 a month for affordable housing was approved? That seems awfully high for affordable housing (heck thats more than my mortgage and I like to think I live in a nice community). I heard the interview where Mr. Mitchell (I think that was name) just threw out a number "from $800 to something like $1800" I believe is what he said.
I really can't see how politician could actually pass an increase like that and jam it down every hard working tax paying citizens throat. I would think there would be outrage everywhere.

As for affordable housing in Ballantyne (I do not live there however I am adjacent to Ballantyne) there is absolutely no reason to put that complex there. There are plenty of nice reasonably priced apartment complexes in the community with high vacancy rates that go from $600 and up. I mean what exactly is the definition of affordable housing (if it's $1800 a month..It's not affordable to me)?

Lastly, whats wrong with living in an exclusive area? If you can afford to provide for your family and live in an area that has some wealth, low crime, and good schools...good for you! You worked hard to get out of the rat race and you deserve to live wherever you want to. If you cannot afford it...guess what???? You need to live where you can afford to (government shouldn't just infringe on everyone else to allow you to live there). There are no guarantees in life. It's not what cards you are dealt, it's how you play your cards that matters. I'm sooo sick and tired of the sense of entitlement that some of these bottom feeding leeches have on the taxpayers and the politicians that use these people for their own power hungry egos. Meanwhile, the rest of us get taxed more.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 02-15-2010 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
Default Couldnt have said it better myself!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Does anyone know if the increase to $1800 a month for affordable housing was approved? That seems awfully high for affordable housing (heck thats more than my mortgage and I like to think I live in a nice community). I heard the interview where Mr. Mitchell (I think that was name) just threw out a number "from $800 to something like $1800" I believe is what he said.
I really can't see how politician could actually pass an increase like that and jam it down every hard working tax paying citizens throat. I would think there would be outrage everywhere.

As for affordable housing in Ballantyne (I do not live there however I am adjacent to Ballantyne) there is absolutely no reason to put that complex there. There are plenty of nice reasonably priced apartment complexes in the community with high vacancy rates that go from $600 and up. I mean what exactly is the definition of affordable housing (if it's $1800 a month..It's not affordable to me)?

Lastly, whats wrong with living in an exclusive area? If you can afford to provide for your family and live in an area that has some wealth, low crime, and good schools...good for you! You worked hard to get out of the rat race and you deserve to live wherever you want to. If you cannot afford it...guess what???? You need to live where you can afford to (government shouldn't just infringe on everyone else to allow you to live there). There are no guarantees in life. It's not what cards you are dealt, it's how you play your cards that matters. I'm sooo sick and tired of the sense of entitlement that some of these bottom feeding leeches have on the taxpayers and the politicians that use these people for their own power hungry egos. Meanwhile, the rest of us get taxed more.
Perfectly said. I agree 110% If you want something in lilfe then go get it, work your butt off and EARN it, why should lower income people feel entitled to live here because of all this "equality" BS. I can't live in Beverly Hills because I can't afford it so I live in Ballantyne. For those who can't afford that then find an area that you can afford living there. This isn't a black or white situation - its not like we are saying either live in Ballantyne or Hidden Valley. There are many affordable housing in safe areas - Mint Hill, Steelecreek area, ect. Ballantyne has wealth - get over it, quit your complaining and either thrive to achieve to live here if that's what you really want or if you'd rather collect section 8 then live where its available (THERE ARE SOME SAFE NICE AREAS FOR MUCH CHEAPER!)

And what really ticks me off is that it really comes down to people want to live off our taxes nd still get to live in a wealthy area. I can guarantee you that they don't even give it a second thought when our taxes go up to support them. They don't care if we work hard everyday for our money, they can live in a nice area and have their home paid for them. So whose the suckers in this situation? Ummm looks like the working class is to me....

If you made 30k and wanted to live in Ballantyne there are MANY opportunities to still do so. The homes and townhomes here already seem "affordable" to me - I came from NY and trust me you already get a deal for living in such a nice area as Ballantyne...but hey, lets bring on the crime by letting section 8 moving here just so the mayor can get some recognition....

Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Does anyone know if the increase to $1800 a month for affordable housing was approved? ......
No it has not been approved. However here is a rather obscure news article about it. The city council person noted in the article will be one of the ones voting on the Ballentyne situation and no doubt, since he is the chair, the one who pushed for the measure in the first place. Interesting this got almost no mention at all in the media. At least this time, WSOC said something. The pow-wow between "city leaders" and "federal leaders" would make me laugh except that iMO no good will come of it for the average working person.

Charlotte Mayor Pushes For More Affordable Housing - News Story - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22324713/detail.html - broken link)

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Clear up a little confusion I have please. Many people have posted that there are many "available" apartments out there. Occupany rates are low. But, these "available" apartment are privately owned are they not? Perhaps the LLs don't want to rent to Sec 8. Right?

So, the subject matter is "Affordable Housing" AKA built with gubermint dollars. Being offered by the gub. Right?

My question is--how does one defend against this project by saying there are a lot of apartments out there, we don't need more building? I'm confused. Help me out please.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Clear up a little confusion I have please. Many people have posted that there are many "available" apartments out there. Occupany rates are low. But, these "available" apartment are privately owned are they not? Perhaps the LLs don't want to rent to Sec 8. Right?

So, the subject matter is "Affordable Housing" AKA built with gubermint dollars. Being offered by the gub. Right?

My question is--how does one defend against this project by saying there are a lot of apartments out there, we don't need more building? I'm confused. Help me out please.
The thing is: you can't talk about Section 8 when talking about the rezoning. Neither side can legally say that affordable housing really means Section 8. So the arguments against it have to focus on the pure rezoning effort, as well as the fact that there is other affordable housing available, comparable in price to the proposed rent.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
The thing is: you can't talk about Section 8 when talking about the rezoning. Neither side can legally say that affordable housing really means Section 8. So the arguments against it have to focus on the pure rezoning effort, as well as the fact that there is other affordable housing available, comparable in price to the proposed rent.
I know that. In addition, LLs cannot refuse a candidate that wants to use a voucher. It's against the law. Doesn't change my question.How does the opposing group use that argument as bullets?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 AM

31 posts, read 60,218 times
Default What does where someone originated have to do with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I believe that by far most of those crying about this are transplants from other states( yankies) lol Our new mayor isnt a pone of the big business croonies who have ran out city too long.. Deal with it and dont discriminate against the ones who cant afford a 400k house...
I am not sure what point, if any, you are making here. "Deal with it and dont discriminate against the ones who cant afford a $400K house".

OK, so everyone who cannot afford a $400K house should just have one given to them? By HUD? CHA? Mayor Foxx? How is opposing another high density development discriminating against any particular person? How come the CHA and proponents of the development can use the fact that this project is earmarked for Public Affordable Housing as a postive, yet opponents cannot even raise the issue without being called elitist or worse? How is that fair?

BTW - over 40% of the homes in the Ballantyne area today are valued at less than $180,000. We already have affordable housing. If you SAVED some money, put 10% down on a $180K house your monthly mortgage would be around $1,260. Thousands of hard working people live in houses in Ballantyne that are in the $150-$225K range.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
And I think your stance sounds like jealousy.
Are you kidding me? It's not jealousy, it's anger at all of the selfish people there are in this world. Basically everyone causing this big uproar is saying to the rest of the city, "This should be your problem, not ours." Why, because you paid too much for your houses? I just don't understand how so many people can sound so horribly insensitive and not feel bad about it. Your precious homes will still be just as beautiful and nice. You just might have some new neighbors down the street who don't look or act exactly like you. It's called the real world.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM

33 posts, read 47,609 times
Pink Caddy-

The argument or "subject matter here" isn't "Affordable Housing" AKA built with gubermint dollars". Its about whether or not the city can re-zone from a commercial plot to a residential one, period. Whether its Sec 8 housing or luxury townhouses, the argument has to be against why the area is already overdeveloped with housing options. its doesn't matter if they are privately-owned, government subsidized, or million $$ dwellings, we can't argue against what type housing is going there. Hence using the "several other housing options out there".

And chicagomichauds, people saying anything about pointing out the "other affordable" housing argument are wrong too. We can't talk about whether its affordable or not, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Its about more residential development, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte