Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 16,963 times

Advertisements

I ran across a Copperhead on the Greenway just off Johnston. He seemed to mind his own business, and so did I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,068 times
Most snakes don't need a water source to get the water that they need. They can get the fluids from their prey. You can find snakes in places that are far from any water. On the other hand, you can most certainly find snakes near water, but for the most part that's due to the water attracting the snake's prey. The best idea in this area is to simply stay inside until late October or early November. Then it should be safe to come outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiveslude View Post
You can find any snake near water. Its an animal, it needs water. Doesnt mean its always sitting on the banks of some creek.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 AM

224 posts, read 458,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Spiders are annoying. There are so many and while I know the one's I have seen aren't black widows, I have seen plenty of brown spiders. I am hoping none of them were recluses. I am pretty sure they weren't. I prefer a non-venomous snake in the grass over a spider in the garage any day.
Killed a black widow at my horse barn last week.
Wasn't sure that's what it was till I came home and googled it.
Had the red hourglass shape on its back, so I know it was.
Came out from under the vinyl siding when I was smackin flies
with a fly swatter. First time I've seen one of those since
I've lived here....almost 20 years.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM

257 posts, read 669,807 times
I had a few in my yard and have seen some at parks. I am petrified of them too so I am always looking around.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:23 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,306 times
Took a photo from my dock this evening as a neighborhhod reptile was enjoying an early dinner. The catfish (about 18") eventually escaped.
Attached Thumbnails
Alright, I need the real DL on snakes in Charlotte..-snake.jpg   Alright, I need the real DL on snakes in Charlotte..-snake-001.jpg  

Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times
Belmarin: Great pictures! I've never seen a snake quite like that in my yard!

Others: I live in Huntersville (not very close to water) and I've seen literally dozens of snakes the last two summers. I've been re-doing the landscaping over at my house over the last two years, so that could explain why I've seen so many. To my knowledge, none have been poisonous. However, it still causes my wife to freak out!

I guess my point is this: The snakes are there. They're probably on or near your property. If you haven't seen any, you just haven't looked hard enough!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 AM

554 posts, read 1,508,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Belmarin: Great pictures! I've never seen a snake quite like that in my yard!

Others: I live in Huntersville (not very close to water) and I've seen literally dozens of snakes the last two summers. I've been re-doing the landscaping over at my house over the last two years, so that could explain why I've seen so many. To my knowledge, none have been poisonous. However, it still causes my wife to freak out!

I guess my point is this: The snakes are there. They're probably on or near your property. If you haven't seen any, you just haven't looked hard enough!
Huntersville is a lot closer to the lake than other parts of Charlotte. I have a friend that lives in Huntersville - has been here 5 years and has never seen a snake. They do yard work all the time - in fact they just made their own vegetable garden last summer.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Huntersville is a lot closer to the lake than other parts of Charlotte. I have a friend that lives in Huntersville - has been here 5 years and has never seen a snake. They do yard work all the time - in fact they just made their own vegetable garden last summer.
I also have a vegetable garden. I've never seen a snake in it either. Strange! The rest of my lawn & landscaping beds are a different story!

I've learned that many snakes don't/can't create their own homes. Instead, they look for existing dark openings that could serve as a home. I've seen snakes go under large rocks, landscaping cloths, pieces of wood, into hollow wood, under my shed, into pine needles, weave themselves into the thatch of my lawn, etc.

I'd be willing to be that most folks in NC have these little guys somewhere on their property. When they are little, like 2 to 3 inches long, they look very much like an earthworm. I've even held one in my hand before I realized it was a snake.

Worm Snake - North Carolina

Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM

446 posts, read 831,523 times
We have brown snakes and supposedly they're harmless. We have a set of old windows that are waiting to be disposed of leaning up against the back of the house and they must have a nest in there. Seen em several times in summers past (not yet this year)...

I HATE snakes, I HATE bugs---well, bugs that bite, sting, or invade my home (ants). HATE THEM ALL! I got stung 3 times in my calf by simple honey bees and my leg still itches and burns. I fear for my dogs because we have a nice wooded back yard....great til you factor in the bugs that come because of those woods. Neighbor had a hornets nest that he found while mowing a while back....he got stung like 20 times. I believe their nest was in the ground? Someone ran over a nest in the ground at least once and it was not pretty.

Spiders........we have TONS of spiders. Not yet, they seem to come out in force during the really hot times like July/August. Those crazy jumping spiders with the zig zag web, some really scary brown spiders that make me freak when I see em cuz I think of brown recluse, but I know, rationally those hide. When we lived just outside Atlanta years ago we have a scorpion infestation. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about freaking out. I had very small children and an infant and we got the exterminator out there ASAP. They were living/nesting or whatever they do in our crawl space. That was the year of the 7 year millipede invasion. We had them by the 1000's, no lie. And they put off this nasty odor when you went near em to kill em. Not a good year for bugs, no it wasn't.

So, basically, by my ramble, I hate snakes. They aren't real prevalent in settled areas/neighborhoods that don't have lots of trees and the earth isn't being moved/like landscaping, gardening, etc. There's no way to avoid the spiders, they just show up. Had one put a web from a relatively high tree limb to my mailbox and it was invisible til you looked in the right light. It was at least 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall. Had this nasty brown spider in it with orange on it. See several of them every summer so I watch where I walk in the hot months.

Sorry to ramble, I know this was about snakes, but I figure someone who hates snakes prolley hates bugs, too.

THAT said, it's not bad enough to make me move, it's just bad enough for me to pay an exterminator every summer.

PS. We have this owl that is out in the back yard at least 2x a week. Freaks out my dogs so much!!!! Hopefully that owl will eat the slithery things! LOL

Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,852 times
Belmarin - very cool pics! That's a copperhead right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte