Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM

689 posts, read 1,657,570 times

Advertisements

I had hoped that last year's snake would find another yard to hang out in. I was wrong. I haven't seen it yet, but it loves to use the bathroom in the same spot...almost as if saying "I'M BACK!"
I also saw some mice this weekend, which could explain a lot. I am going to exterminate the mice and maybe that will get rid of the snake?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

117 posts, read 295,697 times
I think a stary dog would be something to be more afraid of. It can do a lot more damage than a snake can and you see them probably more often than snakes in charlotte. The way you are describing her fear it seems like a more psychological issue. There is just no justification for fearing the snakes in charlotte. In the rare occasion you run into one leave it alone and it will leave you alone. The same may not be true for a stray dog, rabbid possum, racoon etc. Perhaps she should seek professional aid if a fear of such a small snimal is effecting her ability to live a normal life or in this case choose a place to live. Would you not live somewhere like Miami because Florida has a population of aligators? Did you know that eastern NC also has aligators? Instead of fueling her fear fire try and help her move beyond it.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Snakes, why'd it have to be snakes?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Snakes, why'd it have to be snakes?
Ha! Rep'd you for the Indiana Jones reference.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I had hoped that last year's snake would find another yard to hang out in. I was wrong. I haven't seen it yet, but it loves to use the bathroom in the same spot...almost as if saying "I'M BACK!"
I also saw some mice this weekend, which could explain a lot. I am going to exterminate the mice and maybe that will get rid of the snake?!
IMO, you've got it exactly backwards. Keep the snakes and you'll have fewer mice.

When we bought this house we found lots of snake-away chemicals in the garage and the previous owner said he killed any snake he found. We also found mice in the house. We put out traps for the mice and sealed the obvious entrance points. We also stopped trying to get rid of the snakes. The first few years we continued to have mice occasionally but as we started seeing snakes the mice have decreased and I don't believe it is a coincidence. It's been 2-3 years since we've had a mouse in the house. I suspect there are at least 4 black snakes living near the house. Of course neither snakes nor mice belong in the house so if you have mice in the house you'll have to address that.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,890 times
Every time I catch snakes on the job, I bring them to my house and release them! EVERY TIME! Unless it's a venomous snake, none of them cause any harm at all except to their prey, which is NOT humans! And even the venomous snakes around here aren't all that bad!

BOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
IMO, you've got it exactly backwards. Keep the snakes and you'll have fewer mice.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,380,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchenette View Post
My west highland terrier was bitten by a baby copperhead in my back yard a few months ago. Of course she was tormenting it, so that didn't help matters any. Her nose got all swollen and she was in pain for a couple of days. However, the vet said very few dogs die from copperhead bites even though they are a venomous snake and they are very common here.
They are painful, but not usually lethal. The baby snakes are worse than the adults as they have a tendency to hang on and shoot more venom rather than strike and run.

I have lived here since 1992 and I am from your Aunt's area of upstate NY... raised in Schodack and lived in the Albany area 32 years. If she is fearful about moving here, she should probably do equally as much research about the number and types of snakes in Latham, as there are copperheads living there too. It may not make her feel better, but the types of snakes and prevalence are about same.

Charlotte and Albany are very similar cities with their urban and suburban sprawl. However, I think Charlotte, hands down, is nicer, cleaner and has more to offer anyone coming here....than Albany has ever had. And I'm a native NYer!!

Tell your Aunt the snakes are there and the snakes are here...but life is better here....so come on down.

(PS: Tell her to throw away her ice scraper and snow shovels before she comes!)
I have a Westie too, so I'm sure yours was torturing it, lol. They are relentless hunters. That's my biggest fear, that the dog will get bite because it is instinctive to him to chase & attack it.

Did you know that several years ago the largest den of copperhead snakes on the east coast was in Highland, NY? I lived in Carmel, in Putnam County & we had copperhead & rattlesnakes there. In 14 yrs of living in the woods, I saw 1 baby copperhead & it was dead on the road. Never saw a rattler. Had 2, maybe 3 garter snakes but the cats took care of them.

In 4 yrs in Mooresville, I saw 1 baby black snake on my back step the 1st week I was here. I did kill it, but the ants ate it entirely by the next morning I have seen 1 copperhead, dead on the road a few houses over from me. I have woods behind my house.

I'm sure they are out there, just let them stay there.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:25 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,380,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
UMmmm...how can you tell it's "snake poop"????

I've seen skin sheds before, so I know by that if a snake has been around. Can't say that I've seen snake droppings.

Now rabbit droppings...got tons of that it my backyard. they're all over the place, lol!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Bugguy,

Have you ever been bitten by a venomous snake?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
UMmmm...how can you tell it's "snake poop"????

I've seen skin sheds before, so I know by that if a snake has been around. Can't say that I've seen snake droppings.

Now rabbit droppings...got tons of that it my backyard. they're all over the place, lol!

I looked it up on the internet. It is def. from a snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte