Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,557 times

Advertisements

thanks to everyone, keep the comments coming! she read that prior thread and freaked out ! Again, I personally havent seen one since I moved here (which was a year ago) but I'm still in an apartment complex in Ballantyne ( we decided to hold off from buying a home for 6 more months). I'm more scared of palmetto bugs than snakes myself lol, but I do feel that the last snake thread was a little exaggerated and could see where it would scare someone half to death, or maybe I just don't know the truth about it the snake infestation in Charlotte....

She currently lives in New York - Latham (Albany area) - so does Charlotte have a lot more snakes than NY does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
thanks to everyone, keep the comments coming! she read that prior thread and freaked out ! Again, I personally havent seen one since I moved here (which was a year ago) but I'm still in an apartment complex in Ballantyne ( we decided to hold off from buying a home for 6 more months). I'm more scared of palmetto bugs than snakes myself lol, but I do feel that the last snake thread was a little exaggerated and could see where it would scare someone half to death, or maybe I just don't know the truth about it the snake infestation in Charlotte....

She currently lives in New York - Latham (Albany area) - so does Charlotte have a lot more snakes than NY does?

I don't think so - they live everywhere

They aren't on my list of favorite things either, but in all my many years here I've seen MAYBE 3 or 4. This would be a silly thing to let keep her from moving down.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

They aren't on my list of favorite things either, but in all my many years here I've seen MAYBE 3 or 4. This would be a silly thing to let keep her from moving down.
I agree, but she's nearly having a heart attack over the info she has found and the last thread about snakes in Charlotte really did it for her. She saw some pictures of snakes hanging from doors and talking about them on the doorstep and now she thinks it's a common thing to experience in Charlotte. I mean, maybe, I don't know, I haven't lived here long enough to give expert advice on this subject...but I do know that NY has snakes too...just not copperheads or cottonmouths!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I think Amanda's aunt would have more to fear with the many "snake-in-the-grass" politicians of seemingly many "stripes" that gather in both Albany and Charlotte, than actual "snakes in the grass".

I've seen one since I've lived here, but I've been more concerned with Black Widow spiders than snakes!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,829 times
Snakes are everywhere and there's no way to guarantee that she won't see or encounter one. If her fear is debilitating she would probably be better off seeking out a therapist to help her cope than trying to find somewhere to live without snakes.

FWIW, we've seen only black snakes here and I'm happy to have them. They eat rodents and insects and help keep our property 'pest' free. No, the snakes we have seen don't count as pests here. Now, our neighbor claims to have killed a cottonmouth (or copperhead???) but so many people misidentify snakes (almost always assuming they are the dangerous ones) that I haven't been very concerned about it. We are always careful when working in an area where a snake is likely to be...under the woodpile or heavy leaf cover in the woods, particularly by the drainage gullies or water, etc. We haven't seen any black widows here but it wouldn't surprise me if we did.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
I agree, but she's nearly having a heart attack over the info she has found and the last thread about snakes in Charlotte really did it for her. She saw some pictures of snakes hanging from doors and talking about them on the doorstep and now she thinks it's a common thing to experience in Charlotte. I mean, maybe, I don't know, I haven't lived here long enough to give expert advice on this subject...but I do know that NY has snakes too...just not copperheads or cottonmouths!!!
I dont see why she's freaking out. Sure, we have:

but, Lake Placid has:

Id rather take my chances with the former than the latter.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
I caught this one last week and I live in the city.Just a harmless rat snake. These are very common here.
Attached Thumbnails
Alright, I need the real DL on snakes in Charlotte..-final-ford-014-400.jpg  

Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Yeah Hoagie - You do have to worry about Lake Placid, especially if "Betty White" is your next-door neighbor!!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I dont see why she's freaking out. Sure, we have:

but, Lake Placid has:

Id rather take my chances with the former than the latter.
hahahahahaha - STOP IT!! You want to give me nightmares???

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

lol to all these comments! the pictures of the snakes grossed me out though, i'm not gonna lie. I'm fine with the snakes FROM A DISTANCE...the palmetto bugs (or the huge flying cockroach) on the other hand is gross. And a co-worker of mine just mentioned that he had a spider that was half the size of his hand in his living room yesterday (this is the second story that I've heard about this huge black furryish looking spider) anyone have any insight or idea what THAT is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte