Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM

223 posts, read 531,551 times

Advertisements

Share the road! Period. Sorry if it is inconvenient for you to have to drive 15mph. Would you rather drive 15 mph, or pay higher taxes so that the county can put in bike lanes? Just as you have the right to drive, runners and cyclists have the right to use the road as well. Everyone should follow the rules and try to be as safe as possible.

I run and bike in Waxhaw, and I am astonished at the road rage displayed by drivers. I stay to the side of the road and obey the traffic laws, but people still fly past me at 60 mph. Is it really worth taking someone's life because you are in a rush? Would you feel the same about stopping at a crosswalk to let people cross the road?

So what it takes an extra five minutes to get home because you "got stuck" beside the bike riding club? They have as every right to be there as anyone else, and if you say they are asking for trouble you are probably ignorant and have not been off the couch for twenty years!

The fact that so many people got hurt last night is inexcusable.

Last edited by dez181; 05-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
^ ignorant. People are hurt.
so that means we should ignore contributing negligence? Should we also not fault drunk drivers or drivers texting if they "are hurt". That is a novel idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Wha?! People get hit by cars (biking or walking)... It doesn't always mean charges are brought.
No doubt if they leave the scene and are later caught charges are (and should be) brought.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
This might not be popular, but when 15 cyclist decide to ride on a long, narrow, single lane, winding, no passing road, they are looking for trouble. Are they really thinking that every motorist will have the patience to drive 15 miles an hour for that long? I'm willing to bet the farm that they were not riding in a single file line either, I don't know how six would be hit if they were. I hope they all recover, and make more responsible choices in the future. Of course the driver is automaticaly guilty for leaving the scene, but the cyclists need to take responsibility as well.
I agree. Let's face it, they are the ones that have the most to lose if hit by a car. Cyclist sometimes ride their bikes like they own the road. They should be more aware of the cars. I share the road with them, but the reality is that I pay for those roads with my tag taxes and my car is 1000 times heavier than their bikes.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
Share the road! Period. Sorry if it is inconvenient for you to have to drive 15mph. Would you rather drive 15 mph, or pay higher taxes so that the county can put in bike lanes? Just as you have the right to drive, runners and cyclists have the right to use the road as well. Everyone should follow the rules and try to be as safe as possible.

I run and bike in Waxhaw, and I am astonished at the road rage displayed by drivers. I stay to the side of the road and obey the traffic laws, but people still fly past me at 60 mph. Is it really worth taking someone's life because you are in a rush? Would you feel the same about stopping at a crosswalk to let people cross the road?

So what it takes an extra five minutes to get home because you "got stuck" beside the bike riding club? They have as every right to be there as anyone else, and if you say they are asking for trouble you are probably ignorant and have not been off the couch for twenty years!

I agree that what happened last night is inexcusable....

HOWEVER...if you think its okay to do 15 miles an hour with no chance for the driver of the car to pass , well thats wrong too. Roads are for CARS who travel the speed limit. If you move over then drivers should slow down and pass you safely AND patiently. But unless yer gonna do the speed limit, get out of the way.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:

I don't think I should be paying higher taxes for a bike path. Maybe bikers should be ask to pay for that tax. Regarding runners, go to a park, we have many in Charlotte, or better, stay in your subdivision, where traffic is minimum. Roads are for vehicles, we pay for them.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
What if my friend and I rode our cars side by side at 15 miles and hour, preventing others from proceeding on with their lives? Riders have the same right and RESPONSIBILITIES to use the roads.... slower traffic to the right.... not 2 (or 3, or 4) abreast!

Sorry if it is inconvenient for you to ride with your buddies spandexed a** in your face instead of next to him, but motorists have a right to use the road as well.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
with that mentality we should charge kids for riding a school bus

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-20-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM

223 posts, read 531,551 times
Ignorant......

Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I believe there are MINIMUM speeds on roads, too, aren't there? Just mentioning that.

I still don't understand WTH happened in this accident. The driver of the vehicle turned into a driveway in front of the bikers? I can't quite picture all this.

Did this occur after dark?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM

191 posts, read 143,882 times
Horrible incident, and the driver must be fully prosecuted. There has to be something they were trying to hide by driving off.

I believe it would be manslaughter if someone died, too. Then again i'm not a lawyer or prosecutor. But wouldnt the hit and run part add to it?

As far as biking. I will say that I look out for them but it does in fact seem like a lot of bicyclist do not follow the rules, even though they expect drivers to. I've seen them at a red light like they should be, but when its clear they'll go ahead and go through the intersection. Or maybe weaving between cars waiting at a red-light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte