Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM

777 posts, read 2,569,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I asked the question earlier . . . but here it goes again . . . I believe that all the roads posted at 55 mph have a minimum speed limit here in NC.

Also, I believe I read that bikes are eliminated from any sort of minimum speed limit in NC. I am not positive about that . . . just wondered if anyone had the answer or a source.

You are incorrect:

GS_20-141

§ 20‑141. Speed restrictions.

Minimum speeds shall be effective only when appropriate signs are posted indicating the minimum speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
so true so true you see it evident in posts above its _screw the bicyclist
its the my road mentality. An above post said roads are meant for cars.
I personally dont think bikes should be on any road the speed limit is over 45 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If this is true, it sounds like the driver did it on purpose. Can you cite your source so we know it's legit?

I hope they recover all right. I think it's important to share the road, but I would never ride on the roads around here. There is no "share the road" mentality in this city, and it's not safe for either cyclists or motorists. I'd be happy to pay more for bike lanes.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
Would you rather drive 15 mph, or pay higher taxes so that the county can put in bike lanes?
i'd go for higher taxes for bike lanes, and i don't even own a bike.

as much as cyclists **** me off, there is no excuse for endangering their lives or physical well being.

you can't fault the cyclists for the fact that we have asinine laws that allow them on the roads in the first place.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,057,706 times
I don't think most people would want to intentionally hit a bicyclist and murder them.
Anyone who has probably feels very guilty.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
in a urban setting cyclist run a bigger odds of being hit by someone
who talking on the cell phone unable to swerve if needed

Old 05-20-2010, 02:34 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post

I doubt that many bicyclists would ride two abreast when it's only a two lane road and a car is behind. Even when they do, they change to single file to let the car pass.
Yes, and I doubt any driver would not stop at the scene of an accident. ... and they lived happily ever after ...yes, I see it on a DAILY basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The point is that the bicycles are VEHICLES, too. They have no obligation to ride on the shoulder of the road (i.e. to the right of the solid white line).
no, but they have the obligation of other vehicles as well, and obstructing traffic by riding in packs should be ticketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about, please clarify. I HOPE you're not saying that the cyclists have "contributing negligence" for simply being on the road... that would be asinine.
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. They are not simply being on the road, they are doing it in a pack of 15 which makes them extremely difficult to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?
Exactly how hard is it to pass a few cyclists doing MAYBE 30 mph? I think some of you need new cars if passing a bicycle becomes an insurmountable task.
A few implies three. No, I can't imagine that could be very difficult. The post refers to a pack of 15. Yes, it can be very tricky passing 15 cyclist doing 30 mph, you pretty much need as much straight runway as a jet taking off.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
...no, but they have the obligation of other vehicles as well, and obstructing traffic by riding in packs should be ticketed...
I don't argue that and would be 100% in support of them being ticketed, if there is such a provision in the law that designates bicycle groups as obstructing traffic. Again, that is not what is being discussed...

Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

223 posts, read 532,181 times
The amount of anger being directed at any type of pedestrian/cyclist that gets in the way is disturbing. There should be a psychological exam for obtaining a driver's license because I do not believe that people with "road rage" should be allowed on the road.

I do not understand the "my road"/"your road" mentality, and as much as we would love to ride in parks and neighborhoods that is not really feasible when training for road races. Just because you do not understand the hobby does not give you the right to say cyclists should not be on the road.

If a pack of bikers were riding down 485 in a group at 15 mph then I see a point, but on back roads, come on.

By the way your car is not a jet, and if you can not pass cyclists on a road doing 30 mph then maybe you should take an alternate route.

IGNORANT!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:50 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
If that's true, then it's really rude. I am pro-bike, but believe in halting at red lights and being courteous to drivers. (even though they may not always reciprocate - yesterday a slew of drivers were behind me in the right lane. When they light turned green, a number turned right in front of me - I wanted to go straight - this was not a turn-only lane.)
Just don't paint us all with the same brush and assume the worst when you see a cyclist. Almost all of us are drivers too where as the reverse is not true.
Agreed - similar to you I am just speaking from experience and am not trying to paint a picture of all bicyclists, as you aren't of drivers. I've had several experiences where I'll travel almost a mile without a reasonable chance to pass a pack before turning into my development. Mind you, this is a 45mph posted road with almost ZERO shoulder (paved or ground - it falls off into a "ditch"). As the road is a bit winding, I won't risk a pass since getting home 3min sooner isn't worth it.

I can see how some drivers will "rage" over it, though... Heck, drivers can rage over being impeded in any way on any road at any time.

Mind you, none of this is any justification for what happened in the OP. It's just a logical discussion based on the topic.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't argue that and would be 100% in support of them being ticketed, if there is such a provision in the law that designates bicycle groups as obstructing traffic. Again, that is not what is being discussed...
Well then I must be confused. I was under the impression this thread was about a group of 15 cyclists riding in a group where 6 were struck by a motorist. Care to enlighten me as to what is being discussed??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte