Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 PM

208 posts, read 330,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
APNewsBreak: GM willing to buy back Volts
NEW YORK (AP) -- General Motors will buy Chevrolet Volts back from any owner who is afraid the electric cars will catch fire, the company's CEO said Thursday.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, CEO Dan Akerson insisted that the cars are safe, but said the company will purchase the Volts because it wants to keep customers happy. Three fires have broken out in Volts after side-impact crash tests done by the federal government.

Akerson said that if necessary, GM will recall the more than 6,000 Volts now on the road in the U.S. and repair them once the company and federal safety regulators figure out what caused the fires.

"If we find that is the solution, we will retrofit every one of them," Akerson said. "We'll make it right."
News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VOLT_BATTERY_FIRE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE =DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-12-01-14-56-43 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
NEW YORK (AP) -- General Motors will buy Chevrolet Volts back from any owner who is afraid the electric cars will catch fire, the company's CEO said Thursday.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, CEO Dan Akerson insisted that the cars are safe, but said the company will purchase the Volts because it wants to keep customers happy. Three fires have broken out in Volts after side-impact crash tests done by the federal government.

Akerson said that if necessary, GM will recall the more than 6,000 Volts now on the road in the U.S. and repair them once the company and federal safety regulators figure out what caused the fires.

"If we find that is the solution, we will retrofit every one of them," Akerson said. "We'll make it right."
News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VOLT_BATTERY_FIRE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE =DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-12-01-14-56-43 - broken link)
Unlike most manufacturers who will stall, lie, and generally try to get out of any recall or repair that costs more than $1.00. Kudos to GM for stepping up to the plate. Good article, thanks!!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:

Good for GM, I hope people read the rest of the article which explains the situation in more detail and what is going on.

Quote:
"The fire broke out seven days later. Not seven minutes. Not seven seconds," Akerson said, adding that the company wants to fix the problem so people continue to have faith in Volts and other advanced technology cars. The company is notified of any Volt crash through its OnStar safety system and dispatches a team with 48 hours to drain the battery, preventing fires, he said.

The NHTSA testing, Akerson said, intruded into the Volt's battery pack by four to five inches, beyond the normal testing standard of about two inches. Then the cars were rotated 360 degrees to simulate a rollover crash. He said anytime there's a new technology introduced like the Volt, problems will arise. GM is dedicated to fixing them.

Earlier this week GM offered loaner cars to all Volt owners until the cause of the fires is found and fixed. So far, Akerson said 16 Volt owners have inquired and only two have taken the loaners.
So, the fire took place 7 days after the crash and only after NHTSA decided to do a "what if?" catastrophic crash test where they punctured the battery pack beyond all reason and rolled the car completely over. I wonder what would happen if we punctured a gas tank and then rolled a car completely over....

To me it sounds like GM is simply being as proactive as they possibly can on the issue and doing all they can to ensure customers that they stand behind their product. On the customer end, out of 6,000+ Volt's currently on the road, 16 owners looked into a loaner and only 2 took one, so it looks like the owners are standing behind the car too.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

And if GM is selling those two at a "reduced price" I'll buy one... I win!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Good for GM, I hope people read the rest of the article which explains the situation in more detail and what is going on. Read the rest of the article? That would not support the stance Cyberguy is taking. Don't you dare read the rest!!!

So, the fire took place 7 days after the crash and only after NHTSA decided to do a "what if?" catastrophic crash test where they punctured the battery pack beyond all reason and rolled the car completely over. I wonder what would happen if we punctured a gas tank and then rolled a car completely over....

To me it sounds like GM is simply being as proactive as they possibly can on the issue and doing all they can to ensure customers that they stand behind their product. On the customer end, out of 6,000+ Volt's currently on the road, 16 owners looked into a loaner and only 2 took one, so it looks like the owners are standing behind the car too.
Please inform me when and where. I want to be at least a mile away.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Yeah, its going to be bad news for a any Volt owner involved in a side impact or roll over who ends up being trapped in the vehicle for 1-3 weeks.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM

208 posts, read 330,825 times
So you wouldn't be worried where the vehicle is parked AFTER a 7day waiting,most will..

Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So you wouldn't be worried where the vehicle is parked AFTER a 7day waiting,most will..
From the article you posted...

Quote:
The company is notified of any Volt crash through its OnStar safety system and dispatches a team with 48 hours to drain the battery, preventing fires.
So, I crash my Volt, GM sends a team out (these are actually Volt trained techs from dealers so they are all over the place, not just flying out from the RenCen) to drain and recover the cooling fluid within 48 hours. Even then this step is only necessary until they determine the root cause of why it happened.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I guess this answers the question as to whether or not this was actually a defect. Conclusive proof I would say. A total buy back. You can't get any more of an admission of liability than that. So much for the comparison with the Audi acceleration problem.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I guess this answers the question as to whether or not this was actually a defect. Conclusive proof I would say. A total buy back. You can't get any more of an admission of liability than that. So much for the comparison with the Audi acceleration problem.
Insanely poor choice of words. A total buy back would imply that GM is forcibly repurchasing all of the vehicles sold. They are not doing this. They are simply offering to purchase back any vehicle that an owner no longer wants. There's a big difference between those two concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC