Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times

Advertisements

Either way GM cannot win. Everytime they go green they get attacked. Everytime they do what profits suggest, they get attacked.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Either way GM cannot win. Everytime they go green they get attacked. Everytime they do what profits suggest, they get attacked.

Oh, yea. GM's problems are now the public's fault.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Oh, yea. GM's problems are now the public's fault.
They are in a way.

Think back they built on of the first electric vehicles spent millions, maybe a billion on R&D, build a prototype and see no one is interested. So they continue to build market and sell SUVs, which the public want.

Then there is a gas crisis, sales plummit the media and the public chastise GM for building and marketing gas guzzlers, they chastise them for crushing their electric car prototype.

GM once again spends millions, probably billions on this new electric car. Don't car what you say this thing is revolutionary, but its going to take a little time for the technology to get refined. They put a lot into this project.

And it seems the public is criticizing them at every turn. From back at the Chevy volt song thing, the price, and even that misuse the product by plugging a high amp plug into an adapter.

Watch the volt fail as it seems people want it to, GM discontinue them, then gas prices shoot up to $5 a gallon like doom and gloomers predict.

Then the band wagon will be why does GM produce trucks instead of fuel efficient cars like the public wants!!

Despite the fact they try but sales numbers show trucks and suvs are the money makers and when they spend billions on fuel efficient vehicles they get scoffed and lose millions/billions.

I am not trying to GM nutswing but it seems like the population has short memories.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

GM made really crappy cars for about two decades. There are many theories to this, from blaming the unions to blaming management. Greedy unions got bosses with shortsighted profit and sales goals to agree to unsustainable wage and benefit packages, blah, blah, blah.

I don't really care who's fault at GM it was. It wasn't mine. I was stuck with several crummy GM cars that are like maintaining a pony to keep operating. My 1999 Suburban, something breaks every month. . They should have been left to fail and have been reorganized in pieces or not at all.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
GM made really crappy cars for about two decades. There are many theories to this, from blaming the unions to blaming management. Greedy unions got bosses with shortsighted profit and sales goals to agree to unsustainable wage and benefit packages, blah, blah, blah.

I don't really care who's fault at GM it was. It wasn't mine. I was stuck with several crummy GM cars that are like maintaining a pony to keep operating. My 1999 Suburban, something breaks every month. . They should have been left to fail and have been reorganized in pieces or not at all.
My family on the other hand has had good luck with GM vehicles.

And actually people overall have had great luck with suburbans/tahoes.

All companies make good vehicles and crap. You had a suburban that nickel and dimed you some guy had a Lexus that accelerated out of contol and killed him and his family.

Every company has good models and bad. Of those models they also have good examples and bad.

GM is crap get a Honda! Yet I had a coworkers that had an auto civic that had less then 100k and was on its 3rd transmission. 1st one replaced under warranty, 2nd one was out of her pocket.

I do agree we should have let the market do its thing. I just hope there was a study that showed that letting one of the biggest companies in the world fail would cause a domino effect on our economy. But that is for people smarter to me to figure out. I do believe C4C was a waste.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
You stopped buying them when they were at their worst. The quality of GM's cars and trucks have completely reversed in the last five years. There are some that will hold grudges and never be convinced, but that is their prerogative.
That may be true, but sometimes it just takes one really bad experience to sour our view of a companies product line. For me it was the Chrysler Sebring. I paid thousands to have that car repaired, and it only had 40k miles on it. I know I'll never own another Chrysler product again, no matter how much better they are today.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM

When Jaguar went to pot, I fell for their "everything's fixed now" ad campaigns twice. I think GM is in the healthcare and alternate energy business, not the engine and transmission business. They load more computer crap and bells and whistles on their cardboard boxes than anyone. I am just done with them. There is no GM product I will ever buy again.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
When Jaguar went to pot, I fell for their "everything's fixed now" ad campaigns twice. I think GM is in the healthcare and alternate energy business, not the engine and transmission business. They load more computer crap and bells and whistles on their cardboard boxes than anyone. I am just done with them. There is no GM product I will ever buy again.
What? Welcome to the future EVERY brand is that way. One more step a lot of them get the same electronic parts from the same suppliers.

It may not be what you want but its what the public, media, and magazines want. Doesn't the focus have a self parking option now?

Do you want GM to build what sells or what the world needs? Seems like everytime they build what the world needs everyone criticizes them. Which is what I stated before.

I understand some people will refuse to buy a brand. I have prejudice against kias and hyundais since I have helped friends and coworkers with them and they are just piles of ****.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
That may be true, but sometimes it just takes one really bad experience to sour our view of a companies product line. For me it was the Chrysler Sebring. I paid thousands to have that car repaired, and it only had 40k miles on it. I know I'll never own another Chrysler product again, no matter how much better they are today.
The Chrysler products really are below par and I don't ever recomend a Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Suzuki product to anyone. As far as GM goes there are more old GM trucks on the road than anything out there and a 3800 corporate engine powered vehicles are one of the least expensive vehicles to maintain. Being an Automotive Engineer for both Foreign and Domestics over most of my adult life it pretty easy recomending a GM over many other manufacturers.

As for as the Bad rap GM gets, its usually from people who haven't bought one for years. I usually dig a little deeper. Most are:

1) Import buyers (They typically bad mouth American cars, but when their Foreign car has the same issues they remain quiet).
2) Some Ford Enthusiast (Can't figure out this one because the competition between these 2 American companies is good for everyone)
3) People who don't like American Unions (But are ok with Japenese and German Unions).
4) Most people who were against the bail outs. Understandable but all of the OEMs have recieved government money for years for different projects. Then in the case of the Nsaan Leaf, American Tax dollars are supporting Japanese jobs and no one says a word! If GM did go under most of those jobs would have gone overseas to companies that don't hire Americans.

The bad press on the Volt supposed fire reminds me of the "Dateline fake fire incident" when they put the flare in the tank of the Chevrolet truck to catch it on fire. Once you read the details you realize the people who were out to get GM were the ones rushing it to press, only to find it was a non issue.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Somebody just ask Ralph Nader what he thinks about the Volt. Oh that's right, he didn't blindly follow the party line so now he's persona non grata.
I was eyeballing the new Chevy Sonic in a parking lot and pretty much liked it. Size wise it seemed big for a small car. Maybe the styling could have been a little less edgy but thats the trend these days. and it was a third the price of a Volt. Or get a Cruze, thats about the same size of the Volt and under half the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC