Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I happened to be flicking channels on the tv yesterday and caught a story on the Volt. They said that at least 33 Volt owners have already asked for replacement vehicles. Considering how few Volts have been sold, 33 is a fairly significant number. They also said that GM is considering redesigning the battery.

I have a good design idea for GM:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM

208 posts, read 330,936 times
Quote:
Fire Sale on Electric Cars!
The Chevy Volt and other failures won’t kill Obama’s enthusiasm.

Now that's a funny headline!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
The Volt is GM's Edsel. Only the ugly is on the inside. Not to mention the price and, well you know.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
What is surprising here is that people are surprised. After the rash of exploding notebook computers a few years back, people might have thought about the wisdom of trying to run a car on the same kind of batteries that can detonate your laptop. As John Hockenberry wrote in a Wired article in 2006, "The technical term for these bizarre incidents is thermal runaway. It occurs when the touchy elements inside a Li-ion battery heat up to the point where the internal reaction accelerates, creating even more heat. A sort of mini China Syndrome of increasing temperature builds until something must give. In the case of a laptop flameout, the chemicals break out of their metal casing. Because lithium ignites when it makes contact with the moisture in the air, the battery bursts into flame." Hockenberry predicted that things would only get worse, as more is demanded of a battery technology that is at its practical limits.

Ever since there have been automobiles, there have been people who have fixated on electric cars. They've been predicted to take over the market nearly every few decades since the turn of the last century. Like diets that work, they're better seen as "tomorrow's technology of tomorrow."

Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
The Volt is a serious safety hazard! Stick with the proven reliable--Toyota Prius.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
I don't understand what the big fuss is about a couple batteries exploding in extreme, mythbusters level of hypothetical testing.

Thought experiment:
let's say that in the early 1900s when cars were brand new, battery powered cars won out over gas car and turbine cars and coal powered cars. The batteries got better every few years, and by 2011 they were really good and efficient, but we were running out of, who cares..., lithium. Batteries started to become too expensive, so people turned to other existing technologies to try to make a better car.

So GM takes a battery-powered car and puts a spiffed up, but unrefined (compared to electric, with its 100 years of advancements through R&D) new gasoline engine in a car instead of the standard electric motor.

EVERYONE THINKS THEY ARE INSANE because they are putting 20 gallons of EXPLOSIVE LIQUID that is what they make NAPALM out of in a car WITH MY KIDS IN IT! They also expect us to go back to the stone-age and start mining the earth for explosive liquids that can eat through some plastics, are fatal if swallowed, will ignite if you answer your cell-phone around them, etc. This liquid is so dangerous you can't even have a refilling station at your house.

And guess what happens every once in a while when one of their gasoline prototype cars gets in an accident. IT STARTS ON FIRE.

I think people forget that normal cars are BOMBS FULL OF NAPALM. We ruin the environment driving them, If you think of the "alternative" as the norm for a second, and consider the norm as a possible alternative IT SOUNDS STUPID to have gasoline tanks in your car or in an enclosed space like a garage.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Default How it works

Interesting video about how the Volt works!

An Animation of How the Volt Works - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I give the Volt 24 months. It will be a classic in out time because it is DOA. GM will cancel sales on the Volt within two years. I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
They are selling at GM anticipated rates, and the fire hazard is blown way out of proportion (most people have no problem driving a rolling gasoline bomb)

I'm cornfused. Are the sales still on track or has something changed?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'm cornfused. Are the sales still on track or has something changed?
No they are far below projections and production has been halted for now....as if that is a big surprise.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Wait? Is that a picture of one of the "melted" cords? Is it me or did this guy plug his volt into a $1.99 3 way splitter from home depot? The cord probably didn't melt it was likely the splitter running higher amperage through it then it was designed.

There is a reason why Christmas lights with plugs on either side have fuses so when idiots use things improperly a fuse blows before a fire starts.

I cannot believe anyone would plug a volt into something like that. Hell same thing could have happened with a golfcart.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Also cords liquifying from heat? What happened to these people's breakers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC